fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
My favorite is "Chilean Sea Bass", not from Chile and not a sea bass. BTW, it is my understanding that the only fish that can legally be called "white tuna", is albacore.
Somehow they felt that calling it by its name Patagonian dogtooth fish wasn't quite as appetizing...

Upvote 0

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
Man catches Dogtooth Tuna Fly Lining a live bait with a 1/2 oz sliding sinker
on a spinning outfit.

1387202_e0f0257344d6ae1ba01f5e2eea2e158b.jpg

Reactions: Microbait
Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
A commercial Fishing buddy of mine was up at Avila Hotsprings restaurant and one of the specials was fresh caught BLUE NOSE BASS.
He was like, WTF?
The waitress had no clue, the chef had no clue, the manager had no clue.
What the hell, let's give it a try. He said it was actually pretty good and his guess was Striped Bass.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Sounds like a ponzu scheme.

Reactions: JoshInSD
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Me too. I consider it good sport. My last wifey shin kick under the table was when I asked our server for clarification on the "fresh Atlantic Salmon from the Pacific Northwest. " No joke. The poor girl backpedaled, and left to go get the manager. He didn't know either. Next thing, out comes the chef, laughing. He said that dish had been on the menu for weeks and he was just waiting for someone to finally ask. He had a legitimate response: it was farm raised, of course, in the PNW. My wife still kicks me every time I ask about fish at a restaurant.

Another one, which got us both a free meal, was what was sold as White Sea Bass on the menu, but when it came the filets were small still had skin on with obvious black and white stripes. It was just freshwater white bass. Not even close.

Both were fine dining restaurants. High price tags don't mean high IQ's.
Do you kick her back?

Upvote 0