Offshore yellowtail shootout but caught Calicos instead

PENN

BRUTEPAIN

Oct 16, 2010
LAKE ELSINORE, CA
Name
WHO CARES
This was my first fishing tournament and realized quickly that the yellows dont like me. Let me first start off by thanking all the sponsers for their services and all the free goodies they provided to us. We left Mission Bay around 5am and were immediatly greeted with early swells. Our destination was the Coronado islands. The water around the island was mostly choppy but kinda let up later on. The water all around the islands read at 63.5 degrees. We trolled most of the time looking for yellows and hit the kelp paddies next to it, but didnt have any luck with the yellows. So instead of getting skunked we decided to hunt for the Calicos and boy did we have a blast. The four of us caught these Calicos. I caught a few of these with my Sebile magic swimmers. Well here is a few pics.

Attachments

• fish 075.jpg
    fish 075.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 49
  • fish 074.jpg
    fish 074.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0

fishnfinatic14

The Beav
Feb 27, 2006
Moreno Valley
Name
Kenny
Boat
none
Next time don't troll for yellows, thats a waste of time lol Find some Birds working. Hit the back of the island and find a lucky paddy or two, you need to be at the island at Gray light... Maybe get a nice WSB.

Upvote 0

SoCalRedNeck

MOJO fish catcher
Feb 18, 2008
Puyallup
Name
Daren
Boat
Skunk pussy
Well you made something out of nothing!!! It beats being punched in the face!!!

Upvote 0

yft1979

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
Next time don't troll for yellows, thats a waste of time lol Find some Birds working. Hit the back of the island and find a lucky paddy or two, you need to be at the island at Gray light... Maybe get a nice WSB.

Say what? Trolling for yellows is a waste of time? Much to learn grasshoppa

Heck do a search for the first BD yellowtail shootout and see how the top two fish were caught...

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Say what? Trolling for yellows is a waste of time? Much to learn grasshoppa

Heck do a search for the first BD yellowtail shootout and see how the top two fish were caught...

Not my preferred method but I was thinking the same thing :_diarrhea_:

Upvote 0

furniture 4 me

Jun 16, 2008
perris/ca/usa
www.OFBoutdoors.com
Name
mike
Boat
17 crusader
Hell we hooked 2 on the troll in the tournament, seal got the first and the second just came unbuttoned.
trolling can produce

nice catch on the taco meat, we did about the same with calicos and a 13 lbs Ling

Upvote 0

yft1979

Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
Anybody want more proof if trolling works just go to la jolla shores on any given day early afternoon and check the catches of the plastic navy. Most of that is caught dragging macks around all day...

Upvote 0

sxanthony

fishing engineer
Jun 5, 2011
san diego
Name
anthony
Boat
On The Iron

Said like someone who only fished sport boats and never had to find his own. It's not always that easy to find working birds. Even when you do find them , it's not always possible to get on top of the no matter how fast your boat is when they pop up and out quick . There are many methods to catching them but obviously most important is right place right time. Btw paddies are not holding big fish right now either. Most important It's who ever catches the biggest fish ... not who find and catches the most . And really your in a Yellowtail tourney why care about a wsb ... :p

Upvote 0

BRUTEPAIN

Oct 16, 2010
LAKE ELSINORE, CA
Name
WHO CARES
Yeah I still have a way to go when it comes to yellowtail fishing. I have yet to catch one yet. Go figure when my wife and I went to Cabo San Lucas back in May, I jumped on one of those fishing charters and I caught a 130 pound stripped marline, but have yet to even catch a yellowtail-go figure.

Upvote 0

Stoughty Rods

Jul 11, 2004
Upland, CA
www.stoughtonprinting.com
Name
Mike
Boat
"Undertow" - 24' Wellcraft
Slow trolling mini-macs & sardines works well if you know that there are fish in the area. While your slow trolling, keep your eyes open for birds working.

Upvote 0

titan1953

Almost A Member
Sep 12, 2008
las Vegas
Name
Raul
Boat
Slots Of Fish
i thought i was the only one that has not been able to catch a decent size YT, I feel a bit better. Gives me hope!!

thanks,

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
Slow trolling for yellows is an excellent way to get em when theyre really not coming up, and the birds are no where to be found. Ive had many tough days that a slow trolled dean gets slammed right before were about to pack it in. Keep at it, youll get one. Atleast u got a marlin. Ive been offshore fishing since I can remember. Also been to Cabo twice, east cape twice, and La Paz 4 times. Ive seen a TON of marlin, but have yet to hook one. ALWAYS NEXT TIME!

Upvote 0