geebee

My Member is Well-Known
  • Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    Calstar 15-40 is my niche favorite, most likely you got the e-glass, great 25-30# fly line rod

on a budget I would go with daiwa Saltist BG 35h conventional reel

More budget, shimano Trinidad 16a

PS: 14a size if you don't need the bit of extra line capacity of the 16 -- I mostly fish tuna and have smaller/lighter/cheaper Saltist reels for the less nasty fish -- I've heard it said the eglass rods were originally designed to fish at their higher line ratings, but hard to say until you've pulled on a few fish with it...

4CFDABD0-E052-4E01-8A50-0C314F732837.jpeg

Last edited:

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Black Avet MXL G2 or a Black JX G2 that what I fish for 20-40

Upvote 0

habazatchery

May 12, 2020
    Southern California
    Name
    Zach
    Boat
    No boat
    Appreciate all the responses, dudes. I've been looking at the Toriums as well. I noticed a lot of people have the Trinidad's and have heard that you get what you pay for. I was looking into Avet as well, but Ill take everyone's recommendations into consideration.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I like virtually all the recommendations over your first choice.
    Lots of good reels out there in that class.

Made in USA, star, lever, even 2 speed is all personal choice.

You didn't mention low profile reels with a level wind. Several good options there too to handle that niche.
    I prefer a conventional for live bait ymmv.

A star drag is fine and arguably preferable in that class. Which hat fits your head?

habazatchery

May 12, 2020
    Southern California
    Name
    Zach
    Boat
    No boat
    I like virtually all the recommendations over your first choice.
    Lots of good reels out there in that class.

Made in USA, star, lever, even 2 speed is all personal choice.

You didn't mention low profile reels with a level wind. Several good options there too to handle that niche.
    I prefer a conventional for live bait ymmv.

A star drag is fine and arguably preferable in that class. Which hat fits your head?
    I already have a couple low profile level wind reels. I got a Lexa 400 on my jig stick and a komodo 400 on my 20-50# set up. I've got a a Fathom 15 LD on my rock fishing set up. Im not privy to one or the other. I had a 25n that I eventually sold because I wasnt too keen on the size and it just felt clunky in my hands. Im truly undecided on what I'd want on this pole. Budget isnt a huge concern as it will come out of my christmas bonus as a present to myself lol.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    I already have a couple low profile level wind reels. I got a Lexa 400 on my jig stick and a komodo 400 on my 20-50# set up. I've got a a Fathom 15 LD on my rock fishing set up. Im not privy to one or the other. I had a 25n that I eventually sold because I wasnt too keen on the size and it just felt clunky in my hands. Im truly undecided on what I'd want on this pole. Budget isnt a huge concern as it will come out of my christmas bonus as a present to myself lol.
    put a avet in your hands and you will want to take it home !!

Reactions: HighWildFree
    Upvote 0

djcase

Enthusiast
    Feb 3, 2020
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Davis
    Boat
    None
    15-40 has always confused me ...
    I've never seen a rod that i would consider fishing 15 on that I would ever think would even be usable for 40 lb...of course that's just me..
    Totally agree - I guess I consider them #25 rods

Can go down to #15/20 if you need and maybe even go up to #30 in a pinch

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    15-40 has always confused me ...
    I've never seen a rod that i would consider fishing 15 on that I would ever think would even be usable for 40 lb...of course that's just me..

to me it just means a solid 25lb stick that can fish 20 or 30 when needed.

Reactions: Koyote
    Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Have pulled and landed a fair share of Cedros and Guadalupe YT on 4.x:1 and 3.x:1 geared reels, but never once during any fight did I thought:

"Gee, I wish I was cranking in this fish on the 6.0:1 or higher gear that the 'modern' star drags are coming out with."

Food for thought for perhaps chasing down a well-maintained old school star drag instead...

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    to me it just means a solid 25lb stick that can fish 20 or 30 when needed.
    Exactly...what it says isn't feasible so having to interpret what it actually means is ridiculous...
    Obv the ratings are spread as far as possible to make the rod as sellable as possible...
    Fortunately simply picking up the rod and checking a few things allows me to confidently decide what the actual range is .

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Exactly...what it says isn't feasible so having to interpret what it actually means is ridiculous...
    Obv the ratings are spread as far as possible to make the rod as sellable as possible...
    Fortunately simply picking up the rod and checking a few things allows me to confidently decide what the actual range is .

i think in Calstar and Seeker’s case the line ratings were inherited from Sabre so it’s been going on for 40+ years. That’s why all the rod builders on here always recommend you pulling on them before you buy.

Line ratings are also different from one manufacturer to another. At least it’s not as bad as determining hook sizes from one maker to another.

Upvote 0

Hoeyfashoey

Almost A Member
    Feb 22, 2019
    Pasadena
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    None
    Trinidad 14a. I’ve got a bad habit of buying things, using it for a tiny bit and selling it to try something else but along with my LB ss 270h-8, my Trinidad is one of the few things I’ll probably use for as long as I fish. The handle has turned from white to basically orange 😂. Casts even The smallest bait like a dream, spool is super light/smooth and has enough power to kill anything from tuna to calico in 25lb class

Last edited:
    Reactions: djcase
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    I have a bunch of Torque and Fathom 2-speeds, love them for their power, but...

For the mission you describe the Trinidad is butter smooth, casts better than my 25 nld2 in either model, and will be brilliant for fly-line.

Upvote 0

habazatchery

May 12, 2020
    Southern California
    Name
    Zach
    Boat
    No boat
    I have a bunch of Torque and Fathom 2-speeds, love them for their power, but...

For the mission you describe the Trinidad is butter smooth, casts better than my 25 nld2 in either model, and will be brilliant for fly-line.
    Think I may just have to pull the trigger on the 14a. Lots of glowing reviews about it.

Upvote 0

heman

Almost A Member
    Apr 23, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    heman
    Boat
    \___/
    14A and 16NA here also, I say both cause I'll usually have 20/25 or 25/30 tied on respectively...

Depending on the size I still love my old Calcutta 400TE for fish up to about 20ish#

Upvote 0

bassman88

Oct 23, 2016
    San Gabriel Valley
    Name
    L
    Boat
    none
    My dad is currently wrapping me a new stick( Calstar 15-40lb set up) and I want to pair it with a new reel. Mainly going to be used as a flyline set up for yellows at Catalina and Clemente. Was looking at the Speedmaster 12ii, but was wondering if anyone else had any recommendations or ideas. I prefer the reel to be silver or black to match the colors Im using on the rod. Thanks in advance!
    For that rod rating, I would slap on a fathom 12 or comparable size reel.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    When Yellow Tail hunting one of the main objectives is to get the sardine as far away from the boat as possible. Especially on the initial cast away from the boat. The Physics of the matter require the longest rod possible and the reel with the lightest spool possible. Since the rod is now chosen the reel selection is next.
    In order of preference:
    Your Lexa 400 or Kamodo are hands down the best reels for the longest cast possible because they have the lightest spools of all the reel mentioned above. Personally use a Lexa 400 spooled with 30lb Sufix 832 and a 20 ft, 20 lb fluoro leader. Have caught 70lb sharks, 50lb Black Sea Bass,
    35 lb Blue fin and my personal best YT @30lbs on that rig. The next best recommendation,,,, in the heavier cast aluminum spool class would be the Shimano Trinadad TN14A . Cannot say enough good things about this reel. You will be able to pack
    400+ yds of 30 spectra or 380 yds of 40 spectra. More then adequate for any local YT's and football tuna. As mentioned in several post above it cast the lighter wt. lures (sardines) like a dream. Have casted baits side by side with the TN14A and only bested them by a small margin. The 16 is doable but you casting distance will suffer.
    My thoughts for your consideration.....
    Walt

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

habazatchery

May 12, 2020
    Southern California
    Name
    Zach
    Boat
    No boat
    When Yellow Tail hunting one of the main objectives is to get the sardine as far away from the boat as possible. Especially on the initial cast away from the boat. The Physics of the matter require the longest rod possible and the reel with the lightest spool possible. Since the rod is now chosen the reel selection is next.
    In order of preference:
    Your Lexa 400 or Kamodo are hands down the best reels for the longest cast possible because they have the lightest spools of all the reel mentioned above. Personally use a Lexa 400 spooled with 30lb Sufix 832 and a 20 ft, 20 lb fluoro leader. Have caught 70lb sharks, 50lb Black Sea Bass and my personal best YT @30lbs on that rig. The next best recommendation,,,, in the heavier cast aluminum spool class would be the Shimano Trinadad TN14A . Cannot say enough good things about this reel. You will be able to pack
    400+ yds of 30 spectra or 380 yds of 40 spectra. More then adequate for any local YT's and football tuna. As mentioned in several post above it cast the lighter wt. lures (sardines) like a dream. Have casted baits side by side with the TN14A and only bested them by a small margin. The 16 is doable but you casting distance will suffer.
    My thoughts for your consideration.....
    Walt
    Thanks, Walt. Appreciate your input! I decided to go with the Trinidad 16na. Still small and compact but I feel it'll be able to get the job done relatively well. Thanks again!

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Thanks, Walt. Appreciate your input! I decided to go with the Trinidad 16na. Still small and compact but I feel it'll be able to get the job done relatively well. Thanks again!
    Here is the Shimano Trinidad info:
    The 14 is 5.4 oz lighter, the both hold the same amount of line, the 16 NA has more drag but 17 is plenty.
    The 16NA is a good compromise you will be happy.
    Walt

Reactions: habazatchery
    Upvote 0