Yellowtail irons???

PENN

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
Howdy all. I'm headed Saturday for some peeking around channel islands for wsb. Maybe butts. Heard some yellowtail been caught as well in the areas. What type of irons should I buy to toss around and any tips on what to try and look for. I've caught wsb. No yellowtail yet and wanna give it a shot for fun. Prob be alone, couple buds trying to fit it in but either way I am going for a ride. I'll prob get whatever bait avail, plus try and make some squid if it's not avail. Irons, plugs, lures, size and weight?? Thanks.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Howdy all. I'm headed Saturday for some peeking around channel islands for wsb. Maybe butts. Heard some yellowtail been caught as well in the areas. What type of irons should I buy to toss around and any tips on what to try and look for. I've caught wsb. No yellowtail yet and wanna give it a shot for fun. Prob be alone, couple buds trying to fit it in but either way I am going for a ride. I'll prob get whatever bait avail, plus try and make some squid if it's not avail. Irons, plugs, lures, size and weight?? Thanks.
    You and 10K other boats will be their. It will be a cluster fuck. I'd wait and go midweek.

Reactions: John Stidman
    John Stidman
    John Stidman
    Well. I'll look around away. Just getting out on the water. I'll go mid week as well if there's a GD window. I've got nothing to do but fish. I'm just learning this southern water stuff so I'm patient and don't mind burning some fuel to try. Thanks.
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Mint & blue/white are my go to's.

Rick U

Almost A Member
    Oct 22, 2004
    LA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Montauk
    Dart Special

image.jpg

John Stidman
    John Stidman
    cool, i have a box full of these different colors and are tadys 45 and 9s, salas and other stuff i just found i dint know i had. i bought an older guys life collection, so much stuff i havent gone through it.

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    just got back from our local tackle shop. copes tackle. 2 guys just got back today from 2 1/2 day trip from santa barbara. said they went up to catalina to get live squid, then came back to fish sanata rosa back side. nothing worked but single dropper loop, 8 oz weight and live squid on size 6 hook. they said many threw irons, jigs ect and no fish caught. everyone limited on live squid for both wsb and yellowtail. fishing 40lb mono with no issues. so i think i have everything but the squid. i do have some tady 45s and other like it. thanks all ill be there giving it a shot. ill buy bait and try and make squid as well if none avail.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    If I were you just getting familiar with the salt water scene, I would skip the yellows (It takes a fair amount of time on the water, Knowing the currents and anchoring on the spots that hold yellows this time of year). You should just look for the armada of boats/sportboats and drift (keeping a safe distance from the other boats) with a dropper loop, 2/0 or 3/0 hook with squid and 3-4 oz torpedo sinker. you'll have a good chance of getting a WSB, Halibut or other bottom grabbers. If you dont get bit on the drifts, keep moving around.

John Stidman
    John Stidman
    thank you, thats probably what ill do. ive fished alot rockfish, halibuts, salmon, and albacore. i did catch some seabass couple years ago when a buddy called me to come anchor up. we made many squid baits and the squid boats was working all aroud us. we just fly lined them and did good.
    Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    I went a couple days ago for sea bass, what worked for me was a white tady 4/0 heavy glow back with a frozen squid on it worked along the bottom. My buddy got 3 with a glow flat fall with squid. They bit the dropper too but we got more bites. Didn't see any yellows though

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    John , did you go?
    We left Friday night. Picked up scoop of nice sardines. Fished back side anacapa and santa Cruz no luck or squid. Spent night then shot over to Santa Rosa and found the fleet just west of the moa. We anchored in between. Caught lots squidm whales, Birds, dolphin and some weird looking giant dolphin with a huge whitish square bumper head all over. After loading up squid tried the drop loop with squid on inside fleet. Picked up a 28 in and 33 in halibut. A big whitish sheepshead with huge teeth sticking out it's gums. Only heard of couple wsb caught. I hooked up one and released. It was 22 in. Decided to leave after the fleet. Between Rosa and Cruz we saw massive birds diving. Threw some small tady green and white surface into and hooked few 10 in mackerals and few 34 and 36 in barracudas. The guy fishing and anchored nxt to where we slept had caught butts and yellowtail. But we didn't have luck. I'm just learning the south and types of fish. But I'm ready to give it another shot soon when it looks gd or I got someone that knows to go and help.

Upvote 0