mboswell

Mike & Katy
Jul 24, 2006
San Diego
Name
Mike and Katy Boswell
Boat
Parker 2320SL, "KATY B"
First you gotta understand, I am lazy, and I suck at fishing... but anyway, here goes:

on 8/17 We left home on around 10:00 AM, launched at Dana Landing, got a half scoop of Sardines, and headed out on a 240 degree heading with the goal of maybe fishing the area South of the 43 spot. Got to the 182 about noon or so, and put in the trollers with purple and black feathers and a cedar plug.

First problem: I NEVER know how far back to run the lures - Does it really matter? Joey at Squidco says to put them back to the second wake, wherever that might be, but that always seems too close, so I put them back 50 -100 feet or so.

Second problem: I won't even talk about my gear (Jigmasters and Penn 4/0 reels with 40-lb mono) but it isn't very high-tech.

So we troll around and stop at paddies, and we sometimes see stuff on the meter.

Third problem: I have no idea what those huge red blobs on the fish finder are. What does a tuna look like?

Katy is driving and I am putting out the trollers, reeling them in, casting out the bait, putting out the trollers again, over and over and over...

We try one small paddy on the 182 just south of the high spot. We use the two spinning rigs I brought because I have pretty much given up trying to cast a bare anchovy with a jigmaster.

Katy's reel starts screaming, and she looks down at it with a puzzled expression....and we look at each other in surprise: FISH ON!

The fight is on and Katy plays the fish gently on the light line as we drift away from the paddy. 20 minutes later we net, yes net, a beautiful yellowtail and dinner is in the box.

Back to trolling, we find a huge school of porpoise, and get around in front of them and troll, but nothing is happening. Big red blobs on the meter.

Fourth problem: I keep looking at the ocean temperature reading, but I woudn't know a "temp break" if it slapped me.

I want to try an idea I got from a guy at the boat ramp, so we run way ahead of the porpoise, stop, and drop some sardines in the water with 3/4oz sinkers to get them down deep, and wait for the tuna to come. The school goes by us to both sides, but no tuna. So much for THAT idea.

Fifth problem: How do you fish a porpoise school?

We are still in the 182 area, and we give up on the porpoise and the 43 because it's getting late, and we head up the line toward the 181. We find another paddy and we toss some sardines at it, and Katy gets another strike. This one is meaner so she graciously hands me the pole and after about 25 minutes we net another Yellowtail.

Sixth problem: How do you keep your male dignity when your wife catches all the fish?

Went in, drove home, cleaned boat and fish, froze all the fillets, and I put the heads and backbones on the grill for dinner. MMM!

Any how, that is our story. I estimated that the bigger of the two Yellowtail - you know, the one Katy let me reel in - weighed in at about 40 pounds.

Attachments

Pachodie

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2008
Menifee, CA, U.S.
Name
Brandon Paciotti
Boat
Nothing
Seventh: Get a scale to get an accurate weight on fish. Looks like tops is 25#

Balluga

Apr 7, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Bob
Boat
25' Parker/twin Yamahas
Hmmm, sounds like a good day to me.....more fish have been caught on Penn 4/0's and Jigmasters than any of the new stuff...it is the fisherman, not the gear that makes the catch....:)

nagfree

Well-Known "Member"
May 5, 2008
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Seaswirl, Striper, Nagfree
Eighth: It is always better to be lucky than good. And the longer you keep lures/bait in the water-irrespective of the tackle-the luckier you get!

BDXL

Jun 25, 2007
CORONA
Name
MATT
Boat
16'CRESTLINER,SUPERHAWK
:rofl:NINTH! PRICELESS!!!

Tuna Choker

Jan 4, 2009
Lemon Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
30' Blackman Kickin-Bak, 18' Parker
I always thought that the second wake back was too close too but a couple of weeks ago we caught three bluefin at the Islands slow trolling dines right behind the boat. Definatly nice fish but not anywhere near 40 thinkin 20. Dont worrie too much about casting youre dine lob it towards the paddie hopefully its a strong one and takes off like a tweeker this is what gets the fishes attention.

yft1979

Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
Big red blobs are usually bait balls. Fish might be 20 on a good day:Death_To_Above:

spin-n-grin

Fish-N-Fool
Sep 17, 2004
Lemon Grove
Name
Russ
Boat
2101WA Striper Spin-N-Grin
Great post. I needed a good laugh - classic.
I fish the crap out of my 505HS and 4/0. I love 'em and fish 'em pretty much every trip. Keep them clean and they will work forever. (Might try some after market frames/handles. Makes them stronger)

Unless that fish is REALLY thick and we just can't see it, I think it's a little more around the 20-25# class. But that's just me. The more beer I drink the bigger my fish get too.

Trolling, we usually mix it up. One side troller short (about where you had it), second troller on the other side a little deeper, and maybe a whisky line real deep down the center. That's our three line setup. Little different with 5. Joey's never steered me wrong. If he tells me something, I use it!!!

Thanks again for the post. Keep those coming!!!!

Troy

Under the Radar
Sep 12, 2005
Bird Rock
Name
Troy
Boat
Pez Loco
Your posts are always entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe someday the masses will realize your just fucking with them on the weight of your fish. Until then the joke remains on them....

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I'd estimate your bait weighs 40 pounds or so.

mboswell

Mike & Katy
Jul 24, 2006
San Diego
Name
Mike and Katy Boswell
Boat
Parker 2320SL, "KATY B"
Shhh! I DID say it was an estimate, didn't I? Don't tell anybody, cause I'm getting lots of guesses at 20 and 25 pounds, but the two fish actually went 12 and 14 on my bathroom scale.

DONNIE SD

Class on Wednesday
Jan 19, 2009
Santee,CA
Name
Allen
Great report... It is obvious you have no idea what you are doing!!! HaHa.... (Joke)... at least you had meat for the grill!!!

ECMFab

A Salt Weapon
Mar 24, 2008
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Ethan
Boat
Sold her :(
Nice story, nice fish... As far as electronics and trolling, all thats gonna make that better is experiences and time on the water. I have LOTS to learn as well and pretty much at the same point youre at with most of that stuff. I suck at fishing.

nick17yz

TUNA TOKER
Nov 6, 2008
SEEKER RODS
Name
Nick Rekrut
Boat
Longrange
twleve: people who know everything suck. nice report. better luck on the tuna next time.

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Thanks for the report.....I always enjoy your posts......and the way you put your trollers out!....:rofl:..........

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
the 20 and 25 lb guesses were just being nice. They didn't want to burst your 40# bubble.

Full Eclipse

Apr 22, 2006
Escondido
Name
Steve
Boat
24 Ft Skipjack Flybridge "Boomer"
Nice job on the yallers- did you bring the bathroom scale with? Easily 40-50lbers!

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
It always baffles how those 40 pounders shrink to 12 by the time you get home.
Go figure?
Great report