Almost A Member
Dec 8, 2020
San francisco
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Hobie outback
Going through a flareup 🦶right now.

I used to get a little bit of swelling eating 2-4 lbs bluefin a week, but nothing major.

Any of you experiencing gout after eating yellowtail? I ate around 4-5 lbs over the last 10 days.

Fish typeTotal Purines (mg/100g)Total Uric acid (mg/100g)Category
Tuna157.4193.3moderate
Japanese amberjack120.8147.9moderate

Chicken and vegetables for the rest of the week. No 🥃 either ☹️.

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat Name
Limited load cattle car
Not yellowtail but sometimes due to tuna. I feel you, gout attacks suck! Take that shot of apple cider vinegar, drink lots of water and buy some tart cherry juice to chug on. All that stuff works really well for me, usually gone in 48 hours or less. Heal up soon, bite's on and about to get better! 🐟

Upvote 0

Senko888

Almost A Member
Dec 8, 2020
San francisco
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Hobie outback
Not yellowtail but sometimes due to tuna. I feel you, gout attacks suck! Take that shot of apple cider vinegar, drink lots of water and buy some tart cherry juice to chug on. All that stuff works really well for me, usually gone in 48 hours or less. Heal up soon, bite's on and about to get better! 🐟
Thanks! Been pounding frozen cherries, kombucha, and acv. Got a 3 day in 2 weeks.

Reactions: kuyamonster
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat Name
LazyAngler
Yikes…I feel you…have my episodes every now & then for years not by eating too much tuna but innards…

Its been years now without flare ups eventhough still gorging it…the trick which works for me….

Eating a piece of CUCUMBER a Day…its up to you how you eat it but should be eaten raw…

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat Name
Limited load cattle car
Yikes…I feel you…have my episodes every now & then for years not by eating too much tuna but innards…

Its been years now without flare ups eventhough still gorging it…the trick which works for me….

Eating a piece of CUCUMBER a Day…its up to you how you eat it but should be eaten raw…
Thanks, that's a new one to me. Gotta try that cuke out but hopefully not soon! 😁

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

Senko888

Almost A Member
Dec 8, 2020
San francisco
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Hobie outback

Hahaha, cucumbers are on the small list of vegetables i don’t mind eating. Ate half a pound or so of the costco minis prior to the flareup.

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat Name
Limited load cattle car
Hahaha, cucumbers are on the small list of vegetables i don’t mind eating. Ate half a pound or so of the costco minis prior to the flareup.
Just realized. From time to time, I make a chopped cucumber salad with apple cider vinegar, tomato, and water chestnuts. I can kill two Gout birds with one stone now...😁

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

ssrmr2

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat Name
17' montauk "Anger Management"
never experienced a flare up on yt. typically get a flare up with smoked bft belly and led to believe the richness of the belly.

my triggers are liver, in n out and brisket in addition to the above.

clear liquors get me too.

will have to try the cucumber thing.

it’s crazy how everyone reacts differently to items on the list. i’m doing the med thing to control and it works. if shit gets crazy then I take some other meds to help manage the PAIN!

Upvote 0

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Name
Rocket Dog
Boat Name
passenger again
I take pills now for that after my first good season when the YFT where around. Wrist and hand swelled up like hellboy's mallet. After eating all that tuna, discovered al whole host of triggers. Sucks but manageable now.

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat Name
skiff
First thing in the morning take 2 tablespoons of celery seeds. I chew them up and swallow them with water. Be careful when swallowing them - maybe take 1 tablespoon at a time.

Then drink 2 quarts of water before you eat anything. Continue drinking water throughout the day and it should be gone by tomorrow evening. Eat more celery seeds if you feel its helping.

Sprouts should have celery seeds in the herb section. I buy mine at a small grocery store called Frazier Farms.

Take some seeds tonight with a glass of water as well. Blended celery stalks and water will help too.

I've heard chanka piedra tea works as well. It clears kidney stones, so it makes sense.

Reactions: ssrmr2 and Senko888
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat Name
LazyAngler
caveat is cucumber will not work once your symptoms starts….

its better to take meds like colchicine tab right away to control the swelling & pain…as it will also be too late once the swelling has started…your options will be just to wait it out for a week or more..

then later on you can have cucumber as part of your diet…it works among our family members with high uric issue…also colleagues have positive result too…

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat Name
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
20 year gout sufferer. No problem with raw or cooked fish. Each person is different. I'm able to eat shellfish, dehydration and fatty foods are my trigger.

All I can say is in this heat - stay hydrated and know your triggers.

Upvote 0

Senko888

Almost A Member
Dec 8, 2020
San francisco
Name
Scott
Boat Name
Hobie outback
That sucks, but why not just catch ‘em and either let ‘em go or give ‘em away to someone else to eat?
Most trips i’ll have the bluefin processed, save a weeks worth for myself and give the rest away. Not particularly convenient for me, but they appreciate it.

It’s been a year since i kept a yt so I ate a lot after my recent trip.

Ideal trip for me would be to fly in with a light tackle bag and fly out with some good fishing memories…and the tackle bag lol.

Reactions: Deadlift500
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Damn I didn't know, sitting here eating Ahi tuna salad..LOL. Almost daily. Learn something new
    every day. THANKS.

Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat Name
    none.
    I am a suffer of gout for almost 10 years now. Started when I turned 30.

Here is the problem. Uric acid level fluctuations from diet will only change by 1 point. However, I feel that body reactions are not always correlated with uric acid levels.

Turns out for me, the worst gamefish is bonita, skipjack and Bluefin Tuna. They by far have the highest purines.

I ate a “tuna sandwich once at the cafe, and was out for a week.

I tried every natural remedy out there, including exercise, cherry juice, cherries, bitter melon pills, celery, orange juice, cherry pills..

One glass of red wine is actually good for gout. At 1.5-2 it is about negligible or bad.
    Yeast is very bad for you my friend, thus I gave up drinking.

Eventually I gave up all the natural remedies and went nuclear.

I take now Allopurinol. That solved my issues. I eat my burgers now, but still avoid the Bluefin, Bonita, skipjack. Had no problems woofing down yellowtail, yellowfin and other local species.

The good news is, I am suppose to take Allopurinol daily, but I am able to go sometimes a few days to a week before I start feeling it and needing to take it again.

I hope you feel better and come fishing on my Sea Jay charters out of CI. next year I do a trip in July and August. This year is full.

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    yeah the same with allopunirol.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat Name
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I take allopurinol daily. I take indomethicin for flare ups. talk to your doc. When I have a flare up, I stop allopurinol. The indo and allo work against each other.

for me it's all about the water. hydrate. flush the purines and the white blood cells will not attack them.

Upvote 0

Invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Lots of good ideas re good foods, but my advice is to go to the doc and get the meds for a flare up. They don’t go away and get worse. Water is a major component. The daily meds eliminated all attacks.

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
  • Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat Name
    No Name........
    fyi.... If you are taking blood pressure meds and the drug name ends with HCL ..... talk to the Dr that prescribed them....

I used to get flare ups until the Dr realized what he had done and switched me off them...

Reactions: Senko888
    Upvote 0

Senko888

Almost A Member
    Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Hobie outback
    First thing in the morning take 2 tablespoons of celery seeds. I chew them up and swallow them with water. Be careful when swallowing them - maybe take 1 tablespoon at a time.
    Just did this along with a couple cloves of raw garlic. Everything tastes like a cajun seafood boil.
    Lots of good ideas re good foods, but my advice is to go to the doc and get the meds for a flare up. They don’t go away and get worse. Water is a major component. The daily meds eliminated all attacks.
    This experience was a bit of an eye opener for me. Definitely going to get the flare up meds as I can see this happening again.

Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions!

Reactions: Invictus
    Upvote 0