zmansquared

Almost A Member
Apr 17, 2012
Carlsbad
Name
Zach
Boat
The Beginning
Fished the Coronado's today with my Dad. Left Shelter Island around 6:30 with some fog. Fog broke pretty soon after. We skipped on bait and would be fishing irons only. Arrived at north island and got our first fish 30 minutes after arriving. Soon after we get another. We moved east of the middle grounds for a few more fish. In total we got 4 (20-30 lbs) with two coming unbuttoned. These fish were mean and took a good amount of line. Fish were spread out in the water column.

We had all our fish by 9. Metered around for a little longer and decided to call it an early day. Dropped our fish off at Fisherman's Processing. Got 60lbs smoked and 30lbs filleted.

We used only yoyo irons. The Salas 6x in dorado color, recommend by Scott and Pacific Coast Bait and Tackle, and a Tady 4/0 in bird poop color. Used a Shimano Talica 8II with 50lb spectra and a Talica 10II with 65lb spectra. 5 foot leader of 40lb fluro. Paired to a Shimano Terez 80MH.

Great way to spend the morning and afternoon.

Zach Zorn
Instagram: zach_zorn

IMG_4440.jpg
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo.JPG
talica10.JPG
talica8.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Juny

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
Oh man....I'm definitely jonesing for some YT.

Upvote 0

zmansquared

Almost A Member
Apr 17, 2012
Carlsbad
Name
Zach
Boat
The Beginning
Totally forgot about the leader material. We were using about 5 feet of 40lb fluro

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
did you get the FMM online? or just go for it? any mex navy?

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Crank-N-Spank.

Upvote 0

xjaydub20x

May 31, 2008
Menifee/CA
Name
Joseph Woods
Boat
18,open bow, regal
Did not get an FMM. Did not see the navy once either. We bring our Mexican fishing licenses and passports.
Very nice! Sea Adventure II only got 4 for the whole boat of 35 passengers. There was a lot of life early in the morning with birds sitting on yellows working the surface. After 9am or so they sunk out and the birds dispersed. Then it seemed like it was follow the San Diego lol. Mexican navy cruised by around noon, looked around for about 15 min and then hightailed it back towards the coast. I don't think they stopped to talk to anyone.
nevara7y.jpg

Upvote 0