longboard85

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
Launched at 545 from dana landing and made my way out to make some macs before searching for the yellow kind. The air was cold with a decent offshore breeze but there was almost zero swell.
20201129_061557.jpg

It took a little longer to make bait then I would have liked, but I am thankful that it did. At 645 the ocean came to life and there was huge spots of big yellows all around me. I was able to go 2 for 3 on the long rod on some nice fish with one of my new DW1 jigs. By 715 it was over like nothing had even happened.
20201129_081544.jpg
20201129_072709.jpg

After this I went and checked la jolla but it looked dead. Back on the trailer by 10 thankful I suck at making bait!

Spaslab

Are you a sick little monkey too?
May 11, 2008
Simi CA USA
Name
Rick
Boat
"Gracie" Defiance 220 EX Admiral
Excellent work.

I have a question:
I went out fishing with a rep from a rod manufacturer. I was caught on kelp, and did as I always did, a slight tug to see if it would pull through. It did so, I pulled up to lift it over and it caught again. At about the angle your rod appears to be in, but with less pressure on it.

It broke in half. He said I high sticked. I had never heard of it before, having fished years with eglass, then transitioned to the newer graphite composite "sexy" rods. I have never had one break.

Any opinions? Are you high sticking in this pic? Was the dude making this sheet up? I never would have thought anything about pulling on a YT like in your pic until a month ago and now I am...very annoyed I might have to change my fighting style and technique...or go back to eglass...

Reactions: longboard85

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
I can make bait anytime I'm out, but I can't make YT . . . ever,

I have never seen a guy have so much skill regularly.

Side note:
Looks like that rod is a little off. The guides seem off center to the backbone when loaded up. Maybe you turned it while getting a picture.

chachi10

Aug 28, 2018
San Diego
Name
Chachi
Boat
None
I saw the biggest spot of birds working last night as the sun set while surfing that area. Went for about 30 minutes with probably 400+ birds. I knew there'd be a nice morning bite. Nice job

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
I can make bait anytime I'm out, but I can't make YT . . . ever,

I have never seen a guy have so much skill regularly.

Side note:
Looks like that rod is a little off. The guides seem off center to the backbone when loaded up.
Thanks LJ, the rod is good actually but the fish headed towards the bow right before I took the pic.

Reactions: rick rouland

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Excellent work.

I have a question:
I went out fishing with a rep from a rod manufacturer. I was caught on kelp, and did as I always did, a slight tug to see if it would pull through. It did so, I pulled up to lift it over and it caught again. At about the angle your rod appears to be in, but with less pressure on it.

It broke in half. He said I high sticked. I had never heard of it before, having fished years with eglass, then transitioned to the newer graphite composite "sexy" rods. I have never had one break.

Any opinions? Are you high sticking in this pic? Was the dude making this sheet up? I never would have thought anything about pulling on a YT like in your pic until a month ago and now I am...very annoyed I might have to change my fighting style and technique...or go back to eglass...
I've never heard of high sticking in fishing, but in hockey I have... Where were you grabbing the rod? If you grab it by the foam or where you are actually supposed to grab it then there was an error with the blank. If you grabbed the blank or grabbed by the guides and pulled then it was a you error.

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
I've never heard of high sticking in fishing, but in hockey I have... Where were you grabbing the rod? If you grab it by the foam or where you are actually supposed to grab it then there was an error with the blank. If you grabbed the blank or grabbed by the guides and pulled then it was a you error.
Agreed. i have bent the crap out of my rods and they don’t break. I do believe they would break if I held them above the grips. However, the rod might have just had a bad blank to start with.

Spaslab

Are you a sick little monkey too?
May 11, 2008
Simi CA USA
Name
Rick
Boat
"Gracie" Defiance 220 EX Admiral
Thanks guys...now I am going to send a few letters off to a couple manufacturers. I want to know what they think.

The rep said ANY ROD will break when you pull it up to above 9 o clock and the fish makes a diving run.

I have 5 of these sexy rods...they are $250 + each some close to $500. I really don't want to hear I spent all that to slowly replace my older eglass for nothing.

If nobody heard of it...I think I know what really happened there...the guy tosses his rods around pretty worry free...probably had a nick in the blank from use.

My hand was on the trigger stick when it happened. I swear like 10-15 pounds of pressure. We were using 14# line and the line did not break the rod did.

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
I like my Phenix rods

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
9oclock? I'm pretty sure that's bs. 12 oclock maybe a reasonable argument. Any reputable rod manufacturer has a breakage warrantee. Seeker took care of me with a replacement for broken rod. I know others do it too. A lot of cheap rods break because... they are crappy rods. You get what you pay for. Best cheap/mid rod was an ugly stik. At least a few years ago. They take an ass whipping and don't break.

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Thanks guys...now I am going to send a few letters off to a couple manufacturers. I want to know what they think.

The rep said ANY ROD will break when you pull it up to above 9 o clock and the fish makes a diving run.

I have 5 of these sexy rods...they are $250 + each some close to $500. I really don't want to hear I spent all that to slowly replace my older eglass for nothing.

If nobody heard of it...I think I know what really happened there...the guy tosses his rods around pretty worry free...probably had a nick in the blank from use.

My hand was on the trigger stick when it happened. I swear like 10-15 pounds of pressure. We were using 14# line and the line did not break the rod did.
See now I don’t find that true, when long range fishing, if I hook a fish that starts spooling me I put my rod 90% or almost there so I get maximum bend out of the rod and there is maximum drag coming off the total set up. Which rod brand are you dealing with?