ryanhead

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
Was planning to head to the 425 to fish with the fleet but found some fishing boiling 2 miles west of north island on the way down. Missed a few troll strikes so we shut down and started chumming our 3-4" sardines. Fish started blowing up around the boat and we ended up landing 2 in the 15-20 pound range and got bit off by 4 fish that seemed slightly larger. Surprisingly slow fishing considering they were boiling around the boat for 30 minutes. A giant seal showed up and killed the bite so we got back on the troll and picked up two more fish a mile south. The rest of the day was spent wandering around for absolutely nothing and it seemed like everyone else was doing the same. A few guys called in fish over the radio below north island and around the south 9, both schools required heavy chumming to get the fish up and both bites seemed to shut down once too many boats showed up. Found a few schools of dolphin that had several boats chasing them and they seemed very annoyed and were deliberately running away from boats. Some guys mentioned that they pulled some fish off the dolphins by shutting down near them and chumming heavily. Seems like the trick was to chum heavily so buy a lot of bait. Mission bay had tiny sardines which were perfect chum.

Forgot to take pics of my new boat as requested but will be sure to do it next time.

Still have my Skipjack for sale if anyone's interested: https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/24-skipjack-flybridge-for-sale.686046/#post-4687527

Also realized I have way too many hooks so I'm getting rid of some: https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/cheap-hooks.700223/

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
Just so you know Captain it is totally illegal to sell your Skipjack or any other sport caught fish unless you have a State of California Deportment of Fish and Wildlife Commercial Fishing License for everyone on board and for your boat. Captain I would be very careful selling your Skipjack on this Forum but just out of curiosity what are you charging?

Hope to get out there out of Oceanside on Weds your report was very helpful...thank you

Last edited:

scaryfast26

Farmer
Mar 19, 2008
Orange co
Name
Big Ed burrito
Boat
Boston whaler outrage
Just so you know it is totally illegal to sell your Skipjack or any other sport caught fish unless you have a State of California Deportment of Fish and Wildlife Commercial Fishing License for everyone on board and for your boat. Captain I would be very careful selling your Skipjack on this Forum !!!
I hope you’re kidding!

Edward L Russ

Jan 23, 2017
Mv
Name
Rusty cage
Boat
Mission fishin
Just so you know it is totally illegal to sell your Skipjack or any other sport caught fish unless you have a State of California Deportment of Fish and Wildlife Commercial Fishing License for everyone on board and for your boat. Captain I would be very careful selling your Skipjack on this Forum !!!

Otherwise great report sorry about that sea dog, I hope to get out on Wed on my rig.
That's funny.

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish

Otherwise great report sorry about that sea dog, I hope to get out on Wed on my rig.
Expect people to be idiots and your never disappointed

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
He said skipjack for sale...:D

Reactions: onehottip

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Just so you know Captain it is totally illegal to sell your Skipjack or any other sport caught fish unless you have a State of California Deportment of Fish and Wildlife Commercial Fishing License for everyone on board and for your boat. Captain I would be very careful selling your Skipjack on this Forum but just out of curiosity what are you charging?

Hope to get out there out of Oceanside on Weds your report was very helpful...thank you
Hysterical!

Reactions: cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
It's a brain teaser...o_O

Yong Yong

May 25, 2015
Name
Ron Hendley
Boat
Triumph 195 CC - "Yong Yong"

This is hilarious......

I have a Triumph 195CC fish for sale............ha ha

MikeyLikesIt

did you say F I S H I N G ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I don't screw hookers......

but, just out of curiosity, what do they charge? :)

Reactions: ScaleyOne

Nannook N

May 14, 2009
los angeles
Name
gary smith
Boat
44 pacifica
the skip jack was a boat silly no won can sell game fish with out a calif fish and game fish ticket for resale so the tax is paid everyone knows that gezzzzzzz ! food in federal prison is not as good as skip jack !!! hahahahah iam told !smitty out

ryanhead

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
A friend recently paid some ridiculous amount for omakase and was served skipjack as a dish. I would've been pissed, but I guess some people consider it to be a delicacy.

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
I sold my marlin 26 foot?? This might be a IFGA record length ??? This shit is hysterical !