Yellow

Discussion in 'Home Built Fishing Lures' started by benitobandito, Dec 5, 2010.

1. j3dgu

j3dgu Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Whaler 190, 130
    Nice work Ben, I just poured the same color combo today, I still have some shaping and sanding but I hope it comes out half as good as yours.

2. benitobandito

benitobandito benito

Name:
    benito
    Boat:
    19 glasspros
    Allen,
    That is a good explaination of the theory that I have been having a hard time figuring out. when I watch this lure it seems to dig for a while then come up splash and spray and then dig back and go deep. I thought that the jump may be a big part of the attraction, although I do feel that tuna like the deep straight run and you may have a point because they love the heavy bullets and it seems strikes come on the fall in the turn or on the back of a wave to me anyways. What are your thoughts?

Ben

3. benitobandito

benitobandito benito

Name:
    benito
    Boat:
    19 glasspros
    John,
    I hope that it does to. If you put in less black than me, you may be able to see the pearl red when you post the pics that we are all waiting for!
    Good luck!
    Ben

4. j3dgu

j3dgu Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Whaler 190, 130
    No pearl in this mix (in low supply) just straight up black and yellow. Still experimenting and working out techniques.

5. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
  6. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    Ben, you made a very valid and really important point in speaking of the "drop!" Although I've yet to see a boat zig zag his way throughout his whole trip, zig zagging is a technique when following Porpoise. Zig zagging will cause all lure heads on the right to sink when zigging right, and cause the left side lures to drop when zagging left. For this sake, and for the sake of torque to create pressure and vibration, is the only reason I recommend the added weight. If people think that added weight will cause a lure to swim deeper on the straight run, and not zig zagging, I prefer to disagree.

Ben, don't know if you had the experience yet but, what happens when a big long nose dies on you with still half a spool of line out there? What does one do? In some cases they will very gently go hand over hand and try to get him to surface. But more than not, they will throw some throttle, to get this guy planed up to the surface. So in trying to plane the dead man up to the surface, probably at a speed of 1 to 2 knots if that, and he weighs in excess of 800 lbs or so, what makes anyone think that a 4 lb. lure head will stay deep or run deep travelling at the low normal of 6 knots, let alone higher speeds like 8-10? I can see if the boat is not moving or if you have drag to the head as in zig zagging but, this is on the straight as I mentioned.

As for surface lures, we and others who have run the "Flat Face Stubby" which would be considered a straight runner, pusher have had our share of Ahi. If you look at the "VICTORY PAGE" of our web site, you will that a huge Ahi was caught on a "Flat Face" stubby, which to me, has very little depth movement. More surface, splashing action but, landed a species which normally strikes at a more deeper depth. Again, this leads back to vibration, as this Flat Face stubby was not meant to go deep! Only have one picture of an Ahi caught on this style head but, there are many more who have done so using the same style head. You know fisherman eh, like play hide and seek and no like anybody see what they catching and with what lure head!

7. benitobandito

benitobandito benito

Name:
    benito
    Boat:
    19 glasspros
    Allen, I get what you are saying about the weight not dragging lures deeper and I agree, even a 3 lb trolling lead won't get your lure down very far on the troll. I have noticed that the same shape head will behave differently with a heavy or light insert. Then you need to take into account your speed and trolling position to figure where to put the heavy and light lures as they both have there places!

By the way the lure that El Capo posted above looks sick for the rigger on a calm day when you need more action! I just might make one similar to try out the theory!
    Ben

8. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    Then again, all of El Capo's lures are sick!