cristobal

Donkey Roper
Oct 12, 2007
Pacific Beach
Name
chris blevins
Boat
Jackson Kayak Kraken
Got out last week on a slow day. No boats, not really much action save for the false killer whales which were going bonkers on the deep finbait. Fished the yoyo all over... never saw the school on the meter. Only deep stratified bait clouds. Saw the upper level cloud wall up hard 30' off the bottom, couple cranks and whammo! Massive head shakes and hard runs, but the new Saltist (which my GF got me for christmas) put the SMACK down and had him at gaff within about 3 minutes. After a sketchy swing-an-a-miss, he was on the clip and bleeding out. this is how you rope a donkey like a boss! Also had a grey whale swim right under my yak on the way in, and metered it on my sonar... so cool!

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Nicely done!!

Upvote 0

Michael H.

Jan 25, 2008
RANCHO CUCAMONGA
Name
MIKE HARRIS
Boat
No Boat
You kids on YAKs you're nothing but trouble. Just Kidding. I am constantly amazed with the talent off videos on this site. At my age I have enough trouble catching YT from a 90' foot boat you guys rig, maintain YAK upright, fight YT, gaff, all the while setting the Go Pro up to provide us with gread vid's. Thanks

Upvote 0

fishtoday

Almost A Member
Dec 1, 2009
Long Beach,Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Jim Williams
Boat
none
Very good short stroke, rod under the arm,get the fish under control & short stroke the fish to gaff. If more sport boat anglers did this they would avoid lots of tangles & lost fish. Keep your rod under your arm & move with your fish the first few minutes. You can not move & do the over & under thing with your rod stuck in your rod belt. Be flexible. Move with your fish & towards any potential tangle & get it unwrapped, than put your rod in your rod holder. The short pump is more easy less work,more fish in a good bite. J.M.O.P. Hope to help not criticize. Nice job on the yellow & a beautiful fish.

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Respect for the yakers... They are trouble though, to the Yellows!

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
Nice legwork holding that yellow in the yak...heck, forget the gym, just get the forkies on the yak. Nice work!

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
It always seems fishy with whales around, great job out there.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
well done

Upvote 0

DC Greg

Sep 15, 2005
Del Cerro
www.callcocca.com
Name
Greg
Boat
Mako 201
Got out last week on a slow day. No boats, not really much action save for the false killer whales which were going bonkers on the deep finbait. Fished the yoyo all over... never saw the school on the meter. Only deep stratified bait clouds. Saw the upper level cloud wall up hard 30' off the bottom, couple cranks and whammo! Massive head shakes and hard runs, but the new Saltist (which my GF got me for christmas) put the SMACK down and had him at gaff within about 3 minutes. After a sketchy swing-an-a-miss, he was on the clip and bleeding out. this is how you rope a donkey like a boss! Also had a grey whale swim right under my yak on the way in, and metered it on my sonar... so cool!

Only better would've been a "hell yeah" at the stick! Then again, when you been
there before you act accordingly! great fish, tight lines!

Reactions: cristobal
Upvote 0

eddiefishtaco

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
nIce fish
Your rod looks very long
Like for fishing on a cattle boat.

Try getting a Trevala heavy for what you do
Or similar, you'll love it.

Congrats

Upvote 0

cristobal

Donkey Roper
Oct 12, 2007
Pacific Beach
Name
chris blevins
Boat
Jackson Kayak Kraken
nIce fish
Your rod looks very long
Like for fishing on a cattle boat.

Try getting a Trevala heavy for what you do
Or similar, you'll love it.

Congrats

The rod is a 7' kencor medium action, and I'll tell you why. I never fish shorter than 7' so that I can reach the line around the bow of my kayak and avoid capsizing on a big fish. Also, medium action is required as I fish straight spectra (flouro leader of course), and the lighter action is necessary to absorb the shock since the spec has no stretch.

Thanks for the comments and views everyone! Coming this summer... The Unassisted Kayak Tuna

Upvote 0