Yellow Fin Tuna

redsnapper517

• May 20, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    With the SD fleet fishing the BFT the last few years . What happened to all the Yellowfin Tuna that we use to catch in large numbers ?

Last edited:

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Just like the albacore, they still run up the coast following the California Current. The tunas all like different water temps, and they mostly stay in their own schools doing their own thing, like the different types of salmon. We got a flurry of them last fall.

Historically, the only tunas that lived almost year-round off SoCal was the bluefin. The Avalon Tuna Club wasn't founded to constantly chase albacore or yellowfin. Do we get the other tunas within easy distance? Sure, sometimes. I got albacore on the 14 Mile Bank off of Newport Beach when I first started chasing tuna back in the early 60's. Yellowfin in the pass between San Clemente and Catalina was a pretty sure bet from late July through October for many years.

Commercial pressure matters a lot, but marine biologists will also tell you that almost all species appear to be cyclical, going from abundance to scarcity and slowly building back up over a decade, regardless of what man does or doesn't do.

As an offshore fisherman, all you can do is keep going out and looking with an open mind. They may well not want to bite what you caught them on last trip, or last year. On most of my trips last year we saw humpty thousands of bluefin, often so close that we were almost tempted to jump in with a knife in our hand, but they were extremely picky about what they would eat. Even the yellowfin schools were very fussy most of the time. Hopefully this year we will run across some hungry dumb ones!

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    We hope for the warm water!!

Upvote 0

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    "I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
    I’m looking forward to some dumb YFT in range of SD boats. Till then I’ll keep trying to get lucky with the BFT and YT...

SuperPutt

Aug 12, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    BLAKE PUTTKAMMER
    Boat
    Little Marange
    Agreed with @surfgoose, we caught a YFT last year and ran into big schools of them, just later in the season.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    From a sport angler perspective, it’s probably better that the yellowfin hang out south of the border and the bluefin to the north. The CA seiner fleet really really puts the heat on the YFT up here, but don’t seem to target BFT. In any event, the water is cool, and the season is young.

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    90B7407E-CE0F-41E8-9529-225E7493D959.jpeg
    Like this one. The last few years there has been some nicer yellowfin caught between 35 and 70 lbs, as well as the normal schoolies.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
    Jun 21, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Hey you
    Boat
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    The last few years, it seems like as soon as they get North of the Mexican border the commercial fleet pounds the shit out of them and they are pretty much scattered and gone in short order.

Reactions: spize909

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    I had my best ever YFT last year. 15-30 lb class. Three trips, limits for our crew. It was later in July and August, normal time.

Last el Ninja years, WFO 40-70 lbs every trip.

This is/will be a regular season, the smaller grade will show, even if the seiners get them first. They will show. August. But spots of YFT will be here by late June.

Fish the blow holes.

Reactions: longboard85
    Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    They’re still around… I was on the Success trip last September when we got 93 really nice grade, and the count could have been much higher. We drove away from biting fish on day 1 because we literally plugged the fish hold.
    75D36E31-F30A-4961-B580-38DFEF08472E.jpeg
    DBEA68CF-AFDE-4B4C-8CDA-A65094BCB6A8.jpeg
    42B815C4-037D-425E-9AF0-A2EBAE4DDC18.jpeg
    1459C2CD-8502-4773-A567-F177DD12ADAA.jpeg

9D16DBA3-8C5E-4CBA-8F53-FA64D7F5BC85.jpeg

69276EFF-F64E-4ACA-A312-5079B31C9CBF.jpeg

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    From a sport angler perspective, it’s probably better that the yellowfin hang out south of the border and the bluefin to the north. The CA seiner fleet really really puts the heat on the YFT up here, but don’t seem to target BFT. In any event, the water is cool, and the season is young.

The CA fleet is not even a grain of sand on the beach compared to the fleet from countries south of the border. That is why in U.S. waters there has been no commercial YFT quota historically. No need for one as nature self regulates it. That may change as warming continues and in general species move northward

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    The CA fleet is not even a grain of sand on the beach compared to the fleet from countries south of the border. That is why in U.S. waters there has been no commercial YFT quota historically. No need for one as nature self regulates it. That may change as warming continues and in general species move northward
    That’s certainly an issue, too. Speaking specifically about the local So Cal fishery and its impact to sport angling, the San Pedro fleet definitely can clean up what comes across the line in very short order.

Upvote 0