Jun 1, 2008
Ladera Ranch/CA/USA
www.goirishsportfishing.com
Name
John
Boat
32 Rampage,GO IRISH!
Short version: Went fishing on Tuesday, caught 10 yellow fin tuna, at 209

Full version: Got back last Saturday and saw the reports of yellow fin tuna, dorado, etc. Started out planning for a trip on Tuesday immediately. Decided to make a run with my Dad, my buddy Andy, his son Tyler and his brother Jay. The original plan was to head south, start at 209 and head to the 181 etc. After reading the dope, plotted a course that we didn't have to go that far south. We left at about 3 am from my slip. We decided to make some macs since the bait barge had only chovies. I had bought and brought fresh and old frozen squid. We drove to the domes to try and make macs. We used the squid and a sabiki but to no avail no macs. We hit up all of the squid boats but none had any. Great guys for 3 am in the morning! We headed to the 209 in the dark. Seas were flat. 2 ft at 10 seconds. Got to the 209 at sunup 5:52 am. We put the rigs out. Trolling a Shimano TLD 2 spd 50 and an old 114 HW Penn. Heavy line on the setup, 80 lb on the Penn and 65 lb on the Shimano. 1st strike was at 6:15. We had 7 by 7:50am. We took turns. Andy's son Tyler and his brother Jay caught their first two yellow fin tuna! Want to give a nod to the DOPE! The planning tool allows for a precise measurement. We trolled the 209 all morning and about 10 headed sw. We followed the plotted course and caught our 10th at about 11 am. All of the fish weighed about 20 lbs except one, 15 lb. 1st strike on purple Zuker - caught in the side of the fish, all others caught on the "Cedar Plugs". We had one double strike and the others were all single. Equal to both reels. GO IRISH!

YFT on Go Irish JHG.JPG

Epic YFT So CA JHG with Dad.jpg

1st strike of the day YFT - bad hair day JHG.jpg

Andy Gaffs it YFT JHG.jpg

Andy Ty and Jay.jpg

Double jig hand thrown over the rail JHG.jpg

Tyler 1st Yellow Fin.jpg

Reactions: Gmoyer and maxsdad
Upvote 0

santiago

Jul 6, 2005
Marina del Rey
Name
Steve
Boat
Farallon 25, "187"
Thanks for the report. I'm underway right now to that vicinity. Nice pictures. You're helping me stay awake.

Steve

Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
Awesome report!

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Awesome Report and Pics!!

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Way to go Johnny!!!

Upvote 0

Andrew Kovach

Almost A Member
May 29, 2014
Lancaster, CA
Name
Key West
Boat
20 foot CC
Short version: Went fishing on Tuesday, caught 10 yellow fin tuna, at 209

Full version: Got back last Saturday and saw the reports of yellow fin tuna, dorado, etc. Started out planning for a trip on Tuesday immediately. Decided to make a run with my Dad, my buddy Andy, his son Tyler and his brother Jay. The original plan was to head south, start at 209 and head to the 181 etc. After reading the dope, plotted a course that we didn't have to go that far south. We left at about 3 am from my slip. We decided to make some macs since the bait barge had only chovies. I had bought and brought fresh and old frozen squid. We drove to the domes to try and make macs. We used the squid and a sabiki but to no avail no macs. We hit up all of the squid boats but none had any. Great guys for 3 am in the morning! We headed to the 209 in the dark. Seas were flat. 2 ft at 10 seconds. Got to the 209 at sunup 5:52 am. We put the rigs out. Trolling a Shimano TLD 2 spd 50 and an old 114 HW Penn. Heavy line on the setup, 80 lb on the Penn and 65 lb on the Shimano. 1st strike was at 6:15. We had 7 by 7:50am. We took turns. Andy's son Tyler and his brother Jay caught their first two yellow fin tuna! Want to give a nod to the DOPE! The planning tool allows for a precise measurement. We trolled the 209 all morning and about 10 headed sw. We followed the plotted course and caught our 10th at about 11 am. All of the fish weighed about 20 lbs except one, 15 lb. 1st strike on purple Zuker - caught in the side of the fish, all others caught on the "Cedar Plugs". We had one double strike and the others were all single. Equal to both reels. GO IRISH!

View attachment 528736

View attachment 528737

View attachment 528738

View attachment 528739

View attachment 528740

View attachment 528741

View attachment 528742
Outstanding Report!

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006