Yearly Maintenance- Impeller Changing

andrewtp

May 31, 2009
Riverside
Name
Andrew
Boat
"Embarq"
Would a Honda 50 be almost identical? Anything specific I might need to do or look out for? This will be my first impeller job

Thanks guys

andrewtp

May 31, 2009
Riverside
Name
Andrew
Boat
"Embarq"
Anybody know of a link to a how to for Honda outboard impeller change? Ill search more tonight after work.

andrewtp

May 31, 2009
Riverside
Name
Andrew
Boat
"Embarq"
Thanks I'll try that site and if not ill pm you

andrewtp

May 31, 2009
Riverside
Name
Andrew
Boat
"Embarq"
Just in time- could you e mail me the section on impeller changing? [email protected] anything else I should do while I'm in there?
Thanks a bunch bro

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Google is your friend. There are a lot of youtube videos for these projects.

I use them all the time for everything from fixing my dryer to working on my outboards.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
anything else I should do while I'm in there?
Thanks a bunch bro
Change gear oil in lower unit. I put a high grade magnet in the oil pan and move the pan around so oil is draining on the magnet. That way any metal shavings will be easily detected.

Pull prop to check for mono/other lines.

Inspect anode.

That's about it for a lower unit.

andrewtp

May 31, 2009
Riverside
Name
Andrew
Boat
"Embarq"
Google is your friend. There are a lot of youtube videos for these projects.

I use them all the time for everything from fixing my dryer to working on my outboards.
Tried googling but not a whole lot out there for Honda outboards.

andrewtp

May 31, 2009
Riverside
Name
Andrew
Boat
"Embarq"
Did my impeller today on my honda 50, was way easier than I thought. Thanks all for the tips and thanks JIT for the manuals!

JUST-IN-TIME

BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
Sep 23, 2004
MOBILE MARINE TECH WORLD WIDE!!!
www.justintimemarine.com
Name
RICH-E-RICH
Boat
22' GRADY WHITE JUST-IN-TIME
Matters what size motor
Anything under 50 I can do in 1 hour
50-100 in 1.5 hrs
100 up 2-3 hrs

Also if a Johnson Evinrude add about .5-1 hours of cussing and swearing if you do not glue in the o ring to water impeller housing and put that stupid wedge impeller key the wrong way

I always drop my lower units in reverse, so you can index the flywheel to drive shaft 100 times easier

Then hourly rate, I'm 130 hr (2014 rate) but do not charge driving time but charge 65 cents roundtrip mileage

Plus parts, most water impeller kits plus gear lube will run you around 150 max

So base around 300, but that includes gear lube and a pump I always give my customer the pump and extra oil and or parts

Frijolez

Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach, ca, u.s.a.
Name
Dan
Boat
Mako 192 cc
I have a 2008 Verado 150, and after listening before me nuts that hold the lower unit on, it still will not drop. Am I missing a nut or both somewhere? I can't seem to find anywhere where it tells me what to do...

Riding High

Professional Curmudgeon
Feb 11, 2010
La Cresta, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
Parker 2120 - Riding High
I have a 2008 Verado 150, and after listening before me nuts that hold the lower unit on, it still will not drop. Am I missing a nut or both somewhere? I can't seem to find anywhere where it tells me what to do...
Did you get the "hidden bolt" under the anti-cavitation plate? You have to remove the zinc cavitation plate.

Miss Fitz

Call me Captain
Mar 4, 2013
SD
fuck-you-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on.com
Name
Vince
Boat
26' TwinVee Pilot House
How do I remove that!!???
Dan-
Take a picture of the underside lower assembly and post it. I originally wrote this tutorial for Suzuki 4 strokes because I had experience with those, but posting other manufacturers (Honda, Yam, etc) can be a great help to other DIY'ers.

My guess is you probably have one additional lower unit long bolt that's located underneath the skeg (it looks like a fin). Take the skeg off and I bet you see one last bolt you'll need to remove.