sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat Name
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I have twin 2016 Yamaha 200's with fly by wire. In the last couple months the motors will randomly shut down. I have had it happen idling out of the marina but mostly while running on plane. It does not happen often, probably once every five trips. Luckily it has never happened in rough water so doubt it is a loose connection. It usually happens on both motors at the same time. I am able to start the motors right back up immediately and they run fine. I notice I lose power 1-2 seconds before the motors shut off. Could it be a faulty kill switch? Anybody run into something similar? It is tough to troubleshoot since it is so random.

Upvote 0

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat Name
nwj 218 lightning
Following this as I had my 2005 150 do this the other day. Running along and almost like I chopped the throttle. Fired back up and purrs like a kitten.

Upvote 0

Socket985

Almost A Member
Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat Name
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
I have twin 2016 Yamaha 200's with fly by wire. In the last couple months the motors will randomly shut down. I have had it happen idling out of the marina but mostly while running on plane. It does not happen often, probably once every five trips. Luckily it has never happened in rough water so doubt it is a loose connection. It usually happens on both motors at the same time. I am able to start the motors right back up immediately and they run fine. I notice I lose power 1-2 seconds before the motors shut off. Could it be a faulty kill switch? Anybody run into something similar? It is tough to troubleshoot since it is so random.

This sounds like a control module or connection issue if both engines stop at the same time. If it's a fly by wire system, this must mean an engine control module or multiple which determines when they run or not could be the issue, therefore the first step as mentioned is check all connections as it's easiest. I know on the aerial (bucket trucks) with fiber optic systems, anytime there was a control failure, it was usually the ecm/modules/voltage drop issue, therefore it was dropping the signal. I don't know much about the fly by wire Yamaha, however I suspect the method is similar.

If all the connections are good, it's probably going to take some specialized equipment, if it's even available to perform a test on these components, which simulate real world conditions in a shop setting.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat Name
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Check connections but I would have a tech plug em in and see if they can pull any info from the computer.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat Name
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I had the same problem: It was a lose ground wire. Make sure it is snug and without any corrosion; some dielectric grease never hurts. When Couldn't find the problem I called Yamaha and was told this is a common issue.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat Name
    I had the same problem: It was a lose ground wire. Make sure it is snug and without any corrosion; some dielectric grease never hurts. When Couldn't find the problem I called Yamaha and was told this is a common issue.

Which ground wire was loose?

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Following. This sounds like 2020 in-general, just when you get up to speed, something cuts
    out.
    :imdumb:

Sorry to make light of your trouble. Hope you find the solution. I have a weird house bank gremlin to squash, myself.
    :_smack_:

Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat Name
    My problem appears to be fixed, only time will tell but I have made 7 trips without a random shutdown. I originally assumed the controls at the helm had their own power feed separate from the engines but that was wrong, they are powered off of the engines battery connection. I pulled the ground lugs for both motors which looked clean and tight. I hit them with a wire brush anyway. I also pulled the positive leads and found both had bits of anti-corrosion spray on the face of the lugs. I cleaned them both up with a wire brush and tightened everything down. Fingers crossed this gremlin is gone.

Upvote 0