Catalina CD

Cockdie Win's!!!
May 14, 2011
Avalon, CA
Name
Jamie Hmielak
Boat
Steiger Craft 21 Miami
Plan to re-power the boat next year, and have it narrowed down to these 2. Which would you choose, and why? I haven't received any quotes yet, but I imagine the Evinrude costs more. What are some other advantages/disadvantages of these motors? Any advice would be appreciated...:D

Upvote 0

Fleet

Thepowderblues.com
May 17, 2015
Solana Beach
Name
Fishing Jedi
Boat
BW Outrage/RHFleet.org
Love my Yamaha. But i might consider a Suzuki DF140 as its the same weight as the 2 115's. Ive got a ways to go on a re-power though.

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
The new yamaha f115 lb is 377 lbs. The evinrude 115 is either 375 or 390, depending on if the regular evinrude or ho evinrude.

The boys in avalon work on both makes of motors, so it really comes down to personal preference. The old ford vs chevy vs dodge......

The folks down at toyon get more hours out of the yamahas versus etecs, I think primarily due to quality of fuel at the island causing havoc on the etecs.

Also, there appears to be some new old stock etecs floating around at a decent discount.

Dont forget rigging compatibility and cost versus what is on your vessel currently.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Catalina CD

Cockdie Win's!!!
May 14, 2011
Avalon, CA
Name
Jamie Hmielak
Boat
Steiger Craft 21 Miami
The new yamaha f115 lb is 377 lbs. The evinrude 115 is either 375 or 390, depending on if the regular evinrude or ho evinrude.

The boys in avalon work on both makes of motors, so it really comes down to personal preference. The old ford vs chevy vs dodge......

The folks down at toyon get more hours out of the yamahas versus etecs, I think primarily due to quality of fuel at the island causing havoc on the etecs.

Also, there appears to be some new old stock etecs floating around at a decent discount.

Dont forget rigging compatibility and cost versus what is on your vessel currently.

Hope that helps.

I'm actually good friends with the outboard mechanic/dealer here on the island. He has given me his opinions on both. Don't think he would push me either way since he is getting the sale regardless. Interesting to hear the Yamaha's at Toyon are lasting longer. Appreciate the info, this is very helpful.

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
800-1,400 hrs is what they see at toyon on etecs. A large fleet and oil changes makes things tough on the harbor master's limited staff.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I would strongly consider the Zuke 140 if there is service nearby. It is definitely the best motor in its class, some guys see 7,000 hours on the df140 with very few issues if any.

It is pretty much the only motor that catches no flak on the Hull Truth. Those guys run quite a few of them and all say that they have had practically zero issues or just extremely minor issues.

Reactions: Fleet
Upvote 0