Yamaha Trim Seal tool

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
B'ham WA
Name
Gabe
Boat
SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
Well finally got off my lazy ass and replaced my trim seals. I have been super busy so I called around to see what the cost was to have a shop do the work. Got my normal bend over and take it quote from my local Yami dealer of 2-3 hours. So $120 hr for 3 hours plus parts…no thank you. Oh yeah and booked a month out. After watching a few YouTube videos it looked like it would be a quick and easy job so I ordered the parts from SIM Yamaha (unprepared as normal when I called but the lady that answered was super helpful getting the correct parts). I searched around the web for the best trim cap removal tool and found what looked to be the best to me. Not cheap but it is badass. The tool is made by Outboard Specialty Tools and made taking the caps off super easy:
FF9D7DE8-8C8F-4FFC-87ED-5184FF589E1F.jpeg

Overall pretty simple job and glad I did it myself. If anyone is looking to do theirs I would happily lend out the cap removal tool. It took me about 45 minutes to do both seals which I had never done before. Can’t believe a dealer wants 2-3 hours to do this job. What a rip off.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Very nice. I think I still have a spanner tool from when I had a few F250s. Might have loaned it out. Yours looks much cooler!

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Gabe, does it work for the trim seals only? I had my trim seals done a few years ago and now I think my tilt seal is barely leaking (but only seems to leak when I have my outboard sitting on my wedgie during trailering). Anyone done the tilt seal themselves, it looks a little more complicated.

Upvote 0

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
    B'ham WA
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    Gabe, does it work for the trim seals only? I had my trim seals done a few years ago and now I think my tilt seal is barely leaking (but only seems to leak when I have my outboard sitting on my wedgie during trailering). Anyone done the tilt seal themselves, it looks a little more complicated.
    It should work for the tilt seal cap as well. They look the same at least on the yami 250 I have. Looks a bit more complicated but should be fairly easy.

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    It should work for the tilt seal cap as well. They look the same at least on the yami 250 I have. Looks a bit more complicated but should be fairly easy.

I have the f250 4.2L. Do you have the same?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Looks like the right tool for the job. Beefy.

When I did mine I tried several fits-all spanners and they all broke. I eventually made one but it was a PIA and pretty janky

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

gabe0308

Jul 25, 2008
    B'ham WA
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    I have the f250 4.2L. Do you have the same?
    I have the older 3.3 f250. There are two different sets of holes for the little “prongs” that go into the cap. Think the tool is universal for Yamaha outboards.
    Happy to send it in the mail for you to use if want to try it out. I am in Alaska for the next two weeks but could send it when I get back.

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    I have a spanner wrench that have removable tits that break. Gotta have spares. Just another tool in the box.

Glad you got er done. Not rocket science. Somethings require experts others are do it yourself shit. Diy saves coin for other things.

"G" aka DW or Duckweed? Care to toss your penny into the conversation? You gonna have a few names besides asshat, or Jackwagon.

Reactions: gabe0308
    Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Pretty sure I also need the one on the left to get my tilt seal cap off? I watched the video but still not sure what the tool on the right is for if you have the one like you do in the middle?

I find lots of info on folks replacing trim seals but not much info on replacing the tilt seal. I would assume they all would need to be done about the same time?

Screenshot_20210622-140840_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0