Yamaha T8 vs Yamaha T9.9

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
I recently sold my T8 and hung a new T9.9 on my NR Seahawk and have noticed some differences, I think. I was curious if any of you have changed over and if so, have you noticed any of these, or others?

I have it hanging on the same side as the T8 was (port). Now when turning port side, most of the time, it takes it forever to turn the boat and especially turning around at the end of a troll. I never had that issue with the T8 as I am now with the T9.9. Now, I am having to walk inside and assist the turn by turning my main and using it as an assist rudder. Turning starboard is business as usual.

Next, throttle response with the TR1 isn't as quick as with the T8. It seems like it takes a bit for it to RPM up and down depending on what I am asking of it. Also, this 9.9 may have a higher HP rating but it doesn't appear to have as much thrust as the T8 did. That T8 was very positive on course adjustments and especially turning around.

Finally, (and I have already talked to the dealer about this one and they talked to me about a fix). You can hear the RPMs fluctuating up and down throughout the troll. It doesn't stay constant. After a couple of minutes it surges upwards in RPMs. This is thought to be due to how lean they come from the factory.

So far, I am not impressed with this motor. Anyone have any feedback on theirs?

Thanks

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
I used to have a 4 stroke Evenrude kicker turned the boat really good. Then I replaced with 9.9 Yamaha same extra long foot now it won't turn unless the main is all the way out of water.

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
I used to have a 4 stroke Evenrude kicker turned the boat really good. Then I replaced with 9.9 Yamaha same extra long foot now it won't turn unless the main is all the way out of water.
Which I don't understand why that is...

W

woodrow246

Thrasher, dont have much for ya on the steering issue as i have the main and kicker tied together..works well. I did have an RPM fluctuation the first time i ran it, after running it hard the first trip out it hasn't done it since..Break in issue I assume..The 8 hp yammy I had on my lund was tied to the main also so sorry no info on the steering issue..

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
t 8 still more thrust and reliable motor.. glad I still have mine...

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I recently sold my T8 and hung a new T9.9 on my NR Seahawk and have noticed some differences, I think. I was curious if any of you have changed over and if so, have you noticed any of these, or others?

I have it hanging on the same side as the T8 was (port). Now when turning port side, most of the time, it takes it forever to turn the boat and especially turning around at the end of a troll. I never had that issue with the T8 as I am now with the T9.9. Now, I am having to walk inside and assist the turn by turning my main and using it as an assist rudder. Turning starboard is business as usual.

Next, throttle response with the TR1 isn't as quick as with the T8. It seems like it takes a bit for it to RPM up and down depending on what I am asking of it. Also, this 9.9 may have a higher HP rating but it doesn't appear to have as much thrust as the T8 did. That T8 was very positive on course adjustments and especially turning around.

Finally, (and I have already talked to the dealer about this one and they talked to me about a fix). You can hear the RPMs fluctuating up and down throughout the troll. It doesn't stay constant. After a couple of minutes it surges upwards in RPMs. This is thought to be due to how lean they come from the factory.

So far, I am not impressed with this motor. Anyone have any feedback on theirs?

Thanks

Are you sure that it is not the Tr1 that is causing your woes. When throttled up The ram on my tr1 has trouble overcoming prop torque and therefore the boat it not as responsive when turning to port. Starboard turns are no problem. The thrust difference between those two motors should be quite minimal unless something is wrong with the 9.9.

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
Are you sure that it is not the Tr1 that is causing your woes. When throttled up The ram on my tr1 has trouble overcoming prop torque and therefore the boat it not as responsive when turning to port. Starboard turns are no problem. The thrust difference between those two motors should be quite minimal unless something is wrong with the 9.9.
I put the TR1 into standby mode and operated it manually as well with similar results.

Wild Bill

Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I put the TR1 into standby mode and operated it manually as well with similar results.
That is very odd and perplexing. Same shaft length as last motor?

Tiderunner85

Sep 30, 2010
Tacoma, WA
Name
Tommy
Boat
21' Tiderunner
I always thought the new T9.9 was the old T8 with maybe a few new bells and whistles to get that extra whole 1.9hp? Just throwing it in...

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
I always thought the new T9.9 was the old T8 with maybe a few new bells and whistles to get that extra whole 1.9hp? Just throwing it in...
pretty much the same. They do come with different props, which I am wondering if that could have anything to do with it? Perhaps switching over to the T8 prop, would resolve it? It will rev a little higher than it is now tho while trolling.

Wild Bill

Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Up until about 2005 the 9.9 ht had the same displacement as the 15. Then they just retuned the 8 HP model and made it produce 9.9 hp. but they shared the same displacement. Now as Thrasher pointed out they only offer the 9.9 and not the 8. And it is of the smaller displacement variety. Also the 15 ht is not offered either. I believe the next size offered is the 25 ht and it is almost twice as heavy as the 9.9.

Johnny Dollar

still learning
Jun 14, 2009
Mukilteo or Westport
Name
Murphy
Boat
24' SeaSport: "Good Sport" (short cabin, long deck)
This has nothing to do w/ any difference betwixt the two, but I think a prop guard increases the thrust and 'nozzle' effect for a little better turning

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
first off you need to break in the motor and seat the valves, and to do that you need to run for a few hours at 3/4 to full throttle, fluctuating between those 2 every 15 minutes. Taking the new motor trolling right out of the box will never seat the valves which could account for fluctuating RPM's at trolling speeds..
I have done this a little but have I been to the "T" on the break in procedure? probably not to a T, but I have done it a little. I wonder if it is okay to simply hook the 9.9 up to the muffs (he said muffs :rofl:) and do it while in my driveway?

W

woodrow246

Ted, for sure on the break in..Thrasher: Do the run in under load! Dump her in and run it like BV mentioned. Run it more on the hard side for a while..

Clockwork

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
if your kicker can turn farther than your steering system can steer it then adjust it tighter to port. not familiar with the tr1 but if it goes lock to lock before the kicker swivel is maxed then you can adjust it to favor port because it takes alot more steering to turn to port if the motor is located at port. just a thought.

the rpm fluctuation sounds like an issue though. sounds alot like my motor did with a dirty carb. the fuel passages are so tiny i cant see how they wouldnt get obstructed even for a new motor.

Jun 26, 2009
Westport, WA
Name
Bill
Boat
28' Farallon, 24' JAMA Fury 16' Rb drifter 16' flat bottom
pretty much the same. They do come with different props, which I am wondering if that could have anything to do with it? Perhaps switching over to the T8 prop, would resolve it? It will rev a little higher than it is now tho while trolling.

Corey, that isn't a bad thing. Actually better on the motor.

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
This has nothing to do w/ any difference betwixt the two, but I think a prop guard increases the thrust and 'nozzle' effect for a little better turning
It does, even more so in reverse.

WD.

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
Update, still hate this fucking 9.9.

One thing I noticed, but can't understand how it would make a difference is, this new 9.9 is a 25" shaft and my T8 was a 20". I can't imagine that a longer shaft would make turning more difficult. If anything, wouldn't a longer shaft make it easier?

Another thought was that the 9.9 prop is the source of the problem. The 9.9 prop is larger than the previous T8. One thing I do know for see is that tryin to manually steer with the tiller is pretty damn hard compared to my T8. There is quite a bit of torque on the 9.9. Coincidentally, today while out, the TR1 cylinder bracket snapped today while trolling. The welded pin on the front of the bracket that holds the end of the cylinder sheared off. What the hell???

So far, this 9.9 was the shittiest upgrade to date.

Barracuda1

Master of None
Jul 7, 2011
All over this bitch!
Name
Fred
Boat
Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
This is true on my boat as well, specifically if in a strong current or winds. Try pulling the main out of the water that's what works for me. BTW any luck?

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
While using my t8 I never had to pull the main and the torque wasn't remotely close to what this 9.9 is.

Barracuda1

Master of None
Jul 7, 2011
All over this bitch!
Name
Fred
Boat
Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
Mine is mounted on the stbrd side and has trouble turning port unless the main is up or the current is slack. Oh and I do have a prop guard installed..

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
Mine is mounted on the stbrd side and has trouble turning port unless the main is up or the current is slack. Oh and I do have a prop guard installed..
What length of shaft is your 9.9 and do you have an offshore bracket?

Thrasher_1

Jun 2, 2009
Water
Name
Curmudgeon
Boat
Water Weiner
Well, since I know that a lot of you have been losing sleep over this, I figured I'd update you. :finger:

Last night, I raised my kicker up as high as it would go, which lifted me roughly 3", bringing it back closer to the length of the original 20" shaft on the T8.

I then took it to the lake and tried it out and surprisingly enough, the boat steered impressively better. All kicker logic says that the longer shaft in the water should operate better, but for some reason it doesn't.

Now you can all sleep well.....

blackvelvet

old and gray
Jun 19, 2010
slug and duck country
Name
BV
Boat
One that works for me
Well, since I know that a lot of you have been losing sleep over this, I figured I'd update you. :finger:

Last night, I raised my kicker up as high as it would go, which lifted me roughly 3", bringing it back closer to the length of the original 20" shaft on the T8.

I then took it to the lake and tried it out and surprisingly enough, the boat steered impressively better. All kicker logic says that the longer shaft in the water should operate better, but for some reason it doesn't.

Go figure, that's the best news you coulda hoped for..........now go kill some fish while I catch up on my sleep:finger:

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
Go figure, that's the best news you coulda hoped for..........now go kill some fish while I catch up on my sleep:finger:

Glad you figured it out! Now I think I'll raise mine up a bit at one time with a different kicker it steered great but that was when I had a different kicker. When I made the switch I did drop the kicker about 3" "thought" that would you make it even better but sounds like we were wrong.