Jack Hammer

May 7, 2003
Chula Vista, CA
lowelltindellphotography.com
Name
Lowell
Boat
looking
Hey guys. I’ve got a couple questions regarding propellers. Hoping somebody will share some wisdom. I’m trying to prop my 40 hp two-stroke Yamaha on my Livingston 14. It’s a 13 spline shaft. A buddy of mine was kind enough to share some propellers with me to test. A couple of them are Yamaha and a couple are Honda. They all fit on the shaft as far as the spline is concerned. Does anyone know if I can use a Honda prop on a Yamaha if I use spacers and it fits on the shaft properly?

Also, as far as propeller diameter. Is there a minimum amount of space that is required between the end of the blade and the cavitation plate? Does it need an inch, half an inch clearance? Or is it fine even as close as a quarter of an inch as long as it’s not hitting capitation plate?

Thanks,
Lowell

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Jack I’m not a expert but, what I know is if it fits that half of the equation. The second and maybe most important is being able to get the motor up to wide open throttle ( wot )and being within the mfg spec of wot. Example wot 5200 thru 5800. Your motor mfg has a a wot spec if that prop will put you within those number your good. I hope that makes sense . The reason is that the prop size will make your motor most efficient and to not make the motor lug or over rev. Proper size is the gearing for your specific boat and motor pkg. so again if it fits along with wot spec your golden.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Hammer

May 7, 2003
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Lowell
Boat
looking
Thanks Bill that definitely makes sense. I am aware of the WOT target range. I just wasn’t sure if I could mix props for different engine manufacturers. Thanks for your reply.

Lowell

Jack I’m not a expert but, what I know is if it fits that half of the equation. The second and maybe most important is being able to get the motor up to wide open throttle ( wot )and being within the mfg spec of wot. Example wot 5200 thru 5800. Your motor mfg has a a wot spec if that prop will put you within those number your good. I hope that makes sense

Upvote 0

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
As long as it clears, then you're good to go. As for using a Honda prop on your Yamaha, if the splines matches and the prop fits snug with no slop, then using spacers to tighten on the prop shaft is again, good. As mentioned WOT is the determining factor as to what pitch is needed.

Reactions: onehottip
Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
Bottom line how much would a new yami prop cost? 80$.....
If the Honda isn’t where u need to be. If your close run it.

Upvote 0

Jack Hammer

May 7, 2003
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Lowell
Boat
looking
I get it. The only reason I inquired was a friend loaned me 4 different props of various different sizes and pitches. Honda and Yamaha. I was just wondering if I could test with the Honda props with causing any damage. Being able to test the various configurations just gives me more data.

Bottom line how much would a new yami prop cost? 80$.....
If the Honda isn’t where u need to be. If your close run it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
That’s perfect being able to test all those different prop. Give um all a good test. The one nearest top of wot is the one I would choose. Good luck

Upvote 0

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
... Give um all a good test. The one nearest top of wot is the one I would choose. Good luck

Remember that each inch of pitch is worth about 200 rpm. Lowering the pitch will increase rpm and vice versa. For example, going from a 23 pitch to a 21 pitch will increase engine rpm by about 400 revolutions.

Upvote 0