Yamaha F225Lower Unit leaking

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Discovered my 04 Yamaha F225 with 1200 hours Lower unit leaking oil at the perfect time as Fishing season is now starting to kick off. Went to my local shop to pick up some more fluid and they are booked till Oct! Is my season over or can I just keep filling the LU fluid and run till mechanic can fix. Shop said its not good cause the pressure built will just push the fluid out and it is unkown when it will let go. Sorry I am not familiar with outboards but when you get leaky tranny in a car its not the end of the world just stay on top of fluid loss. Hoping this is the same and you experienced guys chime in. Im ready for the snide comments coming. Will Look into how to vids to do all the seals myself cause I'd be crushed if my season is over. Same time I dont want to grenade anything.

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Yamaha USA will have to increase service centers and certified mechanics in So. Cal if they want to sell any more outboards. It’s just ridiculous anyone has to wait four or more months to get service and or parts!

Good luck !

bazzturd
    bazzturd
    Certainly room for some service centers. I think they should push outboards on some of their larger motor cycle dealerships.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    If you know how to turn wrenches, there are several You tube videos on how to change out the seals on Yamaha lower units as you mentioned in your post

Make sure it is gear case oil and not crankcase oil

Upvote 0

chazdaddy

Village Idiot
    Apr 15, 2006
    Santee, CA
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Trophy 2509
    If oil is leaking out, then it's likely water is getting in. If water contaminates the oil and gets to the bearings, you will have an expensive problem on your hands. Try to isolate which seal is leaking, and if you think you can handle it, change the seal.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Boats.net or Simm should have the parts to you quickly. Do not be tempted to run it because it is a slow leak. Water can get in and grenade your lower unit, then you are screwed.

Just be careful not to scratch the prop shaft when removing the seals as any scratches can ruin the new seal very quickly They generally pop pretty easy.

Good luck

Reactions: jbl_91762
    Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Parts are already on its way from Boats.net. Tried Sims but they are busy and returned my call too late. I watched several vids and lucky for me I can handle many repairs myself. I didnt go fishing afterall as conditions sucked anyways and will have it fixed by 4th of July. 4

Reactions: KID CREOLE
    Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Hey Joey;

While you are there, better check the exhaust if you haven't already. Let me know if yo built a lower unit stand.

good luck

Upvote 0