2small

N
Jun 8, 2009
san diego
Name
m
Boat
228 Grady Seafarer
Hi Art, yes I am going to change the oil pump too. In fact, that's why the boat was in the shop in the first place. An oil pump leak was identified at the last tune-up so I brought it in to get replaced. While that was being done, I figured it was a good time to check for the corrosion issues. I guess having my fingers crossed didn't help.

Ali, I saw your boat on Sunday. It's funny because my wife was with me and I said "See dear, it could be worse - look at that poor guy who is going to have to get it done on TWO engines!" ;) I hope you don't have the problem too but you're right, better to find it now, before a catastrophic failure.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Hi Art, yes I am going to change the oil pump too. In fact, that's why the boat was in the shop in the first place. An oil pump leak was identified at the last tune-up so I brought it in to get replaced. While that was being done, I figured it was a good time to check for the corrosion issues. I guess having my fingers crossed didn't help.

Ali, I saw your boat on Sunday. It's funny because my wife was with me and I said "See dear, it could be worse - look at that poor guy who is going to have to get it done on TWO engines!" ;) I hope you don't have the problem too but you're right, better to find it now, before a catastrophic failure.

Haha. Yeah. We knew going in that it may be an issue and we paid accordingly. ;)

Hopefully we are good, but if we have to do it, it's in the budget.

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Just learning about this problem. I own a 2004 F150. Does anyone know if it is affected by this problem?
Not aware of it. Give SIM a call and see if they have a part kit for the f150 at a discount for the corrosion.

Hi Art, yes I am going to change the oil pump too. In fact, that's why the boat was in the shop in the first place. An oil pump leak was identified at the last tune-up so I brought it in to get replaced.
Good info. I have not had that talk with Robby yet, but will about the pump.
I pulled the motor from the Grady to get a list of transom projects done, but can't get motivated. I wish I was dropping the money into sexier projects, but I like the fact that the motor starts every I turn the key - makes this project a no brainer.

Haha. Yeah. We knew going in that it may be an issue and we paid accordingly. ;)
Hopefully we are good, but if we have to do it, it's in the budget.
How are you going to do the inspection? Pull the head or look up the tube?

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
I have not seen any articles about the 4cylinder engines. Removing the lower is easy, not sure about getting it back on :D If I had a f115 or f150 in the years 02-05, I would call Andy at SIM, and see if the problem exists. If the problem exists, then there's probably discounted parts.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I have not seen any articles about the 4cylinder engines. Removing the lower is easy, not sure about getting it back on :D If I had a f115 or f150 in the years 02-05, I would call Andy at SIM, and see if the problem exists. If the problem exists, then there's probably discounted parts.
Ok, cool....Thanks Art!

The unknown fisherman:p:

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Thanks for the reply aguachico. Phoned my local shop and the f150 does not appear to be stricken with this problem.
Cool, glad that worked. I did see something on the f150's having issues with the harmonic balancer. The symptom was uncontrolled shaking and needs to checked before it goes bad as the shredded pieces fuck up the engine.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Stopped into see Robby at Boating Dynamics today. Wanted to take a look and talk stuff. I could tell he was not going to deliver any real bad news, but there's news.

This is the view of the pan. You can see the corrosion in the exhaust, but what you don't see is corrosion on the connection between the head and the exhaust :D. The head is good and clean.

You can see the just how extensive the corrosion is. Some pitting looks ready to breach thru the exhaust. My belief is that once the exhaust is breached, this opens a hole into your cooling route(marked in red - I believe). Forcing the cooling water into the exhaust and then the shit hits the fan. Now you have salt water being forced into an already vulnerable system. You can see where once the coating is gone, which happens ti be at a gasket, then the pitting is intensified.

The bad news is that the exhaust is about to breach it's sides and will have to be replaced. So I'm keeping the parts - as expected.

Power head.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
it is only the 225, i surprised that the MERCURY 225 does not have the problem, same exact motor just with a mercury lower unit
Any v6. 200, 225 or 250.

BTW: did I mark the ports in red above correctly? are all the red water pump, yellow oil and blue area gets open ocean water and no flush?

thanks

2small

N
Jun 8, 2009
san diego
Name
m
Boat
228 Grady Seafarer
So, here's an update on my F225 corrosion problem. The problem was diagnosed over a month ago (Dec. 6), since then it's been sitting in the shop. At the time, yamaha said the kit was on 2 week backorder so we ordered it and hoped to have it by the end of the year. This week, Yamaha said the parts still have not arrived from Japan and it will be at least 2 more weeks….. I have little confidence in this estimate and I really just want to use my boat again. Debating just having it put back together and putting it back in the water until the parts are in hand.

Last week I also received an email from Charles Fort at Boat US who was collecting complaints from people with this problem.

"BoatU.S. has had two meetings with representatives from Yamaha regarding the
dry exhaust corrosion issue. We presented them with copies of your
complaints, photographs, professional opinions, and other documentation. For
their part, Yamaha gave a presentation about corrosion and flushing, along
with some information about how the new parts have been changed. It¹s not
clear yet what the exact cause of the corrosion is, and Yamaha is not
admitting to any defects, but we believe Yamaha now understands the scope of
the problem and recognizes the need to formulate a solution. We believe
Yamaha will agree to revisit each complaint sent to BoatU.S. Our hope is
that they will offer some type of assistance, hopefully a contribution to
help offset the costs of repairs. However, these will be done on a
case-by-case basis and the amount of contribution, if any, is unknown. We
won¹t know until the program begins.

We hope to hear Yamaha¹s plan sometime this month and will keep you
apprised. Consumer Protection would like to stay involved through the
process so we can monitor Yamaha¹s program, but that will be up to you. If
you do not wish to have us give Yamaha your information and would prefer to
do it yourself, please let us know.

Thank you for providing the information you sent us. The number of
responses, the tone of letters to Yamaha, and the costs involved to repair
damaged engines were instrumental in getting Yamaha¹s attention.

Sincerely,

Charles Fort
BoatU.S.
Director, Consumer Protection Bureau "
[email protected]

Here's a link to the original Boat US article on the problem
http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/october/Yamaha-F225-Corrosion-Complaints.asp

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Hey Mike;

thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you are waiting for parts. Please post some pics if you can. I'm purchasing the entire kit, water tube and oil pump because it just makes sense to get it done.

I gave Charles Fort this thread address. Hopefully more will come out of it, but I doubt it. We will see.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
These fotos show why you it is important to pull the power head.

Here's the original view from the lower unit:

Looks spotty, but my engine was NOT exhibiting any of the corrosion signs. After pulling the power head - it was obviuos there was corrorsion, but no breaches to the exhaust.

What you cannot see with a scope or with the naked eye is the DEPTH the corrosion is working it's way to a full breach of the OIL - WATER - EXHAUST tubes. The first breach would be with the water section. IMO, is way bubbles and water is coming out of areas they are not supposed to.

You can see the surface corrosion, but until you remove the parts, then you can see the corrosion starting to creep towards the edges. These edges should be straight.

Newly installed - notice the difference.

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Wow..
Lots of corrosion around the edges where its going to blow through!

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
Thanks for the update Art as I am going to tackle mine later this month. I am hoping I do not have a powerhead corrosion issue as Andy told me at that point the powerhead has to be replaced also! Ouch!

Mine has already blown through the exhaust with a hole the size of a ping pong ball when I removed my lower unit for inspection. I also email Charles Fort after I read the article in Boat US and am hoping they can lobby to get a little satisfaction from Yamaha.

Thanks!

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I think I'll wait a couple of months before I address mine to see how this shakes out.

bajaandy

Condition One
Jun 13, 2008
Escondido
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
Ali, did you have yours inspected? I'm keeping a close eye on this since I also have two Yammi 225's on my boat, and they're '04s. Sheesh... just what I don't want to have to do. But I agree with you... best to wait and see if Yamaha makes good somehow.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
So here's the breakdown on the labor. Robby Gordon of boating Dymanics is my mechanic. I told him I was going to post this info and he agreed.

Please don't start arguing with me about the estimated hours. Honestly, I'm just trying to help a fellow BDer out if they own a yamaha or in the market to buy.

I have been using SIM for my parts. Robby was happy to let me supply the parts for the install. Andy and his crew at SIM are f'n great. The best on-line experience I have encountered.

Lower unit removal and inspection and reinstall= 1 hour.
Lower Unit removal, inspection and impellor - 1.5 hours.
Power head removal and reinstall = 4 hours.
Exhaust installation = 7 hours.

Now here's the kicker, you need to change your oil pump when you remove the powerhead, why? Because if you don't - your are spending 4 hours of labor for nothing. If your oil pump dies, you have to lift the power head and buy the powerhead gasket.

g's toy

Apr 21, 2005
sd
Name
Mike
Boat
2301,swirl--sold
Art, thanks for the breakdown on labor. My boat is sitting out at Robby's now waiting my turn for the same thing. I told Robby to start by pulling the power head--had a new water pump installed late last year by him. Question, how much were all the parts you ordered and how long to get them to Robby from Sims?

Thanks,
Mike