Sep 23, 2004
MOBILE MARINE TECH WORLD WIDE!!!
www.justintimemarine.com
Name
RICH-E-RICH
Boat
22' GRADY WHITE JUST-IN-TIME
You just use salt a way when you flush

Problem is that the metal was different, so when it's running the exhaust was sort of like sand blasting it because of the electrical charge of the water

Yes the exhaust is cooled, f not then your motor paint would melt

Car exhaust do not need cooling, they have open air Nike am outboard

PaDDy Killer'

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
Wow, this sucks ass. Thanks for the post as I have a 04' 225 :(

2small

N
Jun 8, 2009
san diego
Name
m
Boat
228 Grady Seafarer
My F225 '03 with 936 hours is in the shop right now and has the problem. An image of the dry exhaust area is attached showing the corrosion. The kit is $725 and there is a 2 week backorder. I think labor is 6-7 hours. From what I've seen and heard, no amount of flushing will help this problem. It's corroding from the dry exhaust area outward and flushing doesn't get to that region. NOT FUN...

Attachments

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Hey MIke;

sorry to see that you have the issue. Are you going to change your oil pump out?

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
My F225 '03 with 936 hours is in the shop right now and has the problem. An image of the dry exhaust area is attached showing the corrosion. The kit is $725 and there is a 2 week backorder. I think labor is 6-7 hours. From what I've seen and heard, no amount of flushing will help this problem. It's corroding from the dry exhaust area outward and flushing doesn't get to that region. NOT FUN...
I saw your boat at Robs place when I dropped mine off last week. I'm having mine inspected for the same thing.

Kind of a bummer, but I'd rather catch it now....

2small

N
Jun 8, 2009
san diego
Name
m
Boat
228 Grady Seafarer
Hi Art, yes I am going to change the oil pump too. In fact, that's why the boat was in the shop in the first place. An oil pump leak was identified at the last tune-up so I brought it in to get replaced. While that was being done, I figured it was a good time to check for the corrosion issues. I guess having my fingers crossed didn't help.

Ali, I saw your boat on Sunday. It's funny because my wife was with me and I said "See dear, it could be worse - look at that poor guy who is going to have to get it done on TWO engines!" ;) I hope you don't have the problem too but you're right, better to find it now, before a catastrophic failure.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Hi Art, yes I am going to change the oil pump too. In fact, that's why the boat was in the shop in the first place. An oil pump leak was identified at the last tune-up so I brought it in to get replaced. While that was being done, I figured it was a good time to check for the corrosion issues. I guess having my fingers crossed didn't help.

Ali, I saw your boat on Sunday. It's funny because my wife was with me and I said "See dear, it could be worse - look at that poor guy who is going to have to get it done on TWO engines!" ;) I hope you don't have the problem too but you're right, better to find it now, before a catastrophic failure.

Haha. Yeah. We knew going in that it may be an issue and we paid accordingly. ;)

Hopefully we are good, but if we have to do it, it's in the budget.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Just learning about this problem. I own a 2004 F150. Does anyone know if it is affected by this problem?
Not aware of it. Give SIM a call and see if they have a part kit for the f150 at a discount for the corrosion.

Hi Art, yes I am going to change the oil pump too. In fact, that's why the boat was in the shop in the first place. An oil pump leak was identified at the last tune-up so I brought it in to get replaced.
Good info. I have not had that talk with Robby yet, but will about the pump.
I pulled the motor from the Grady to get a list of transom projects done, but can't get motivated. I wish I was dropping the money into sexier projects, but I like the fact that the motor starts every I turn the key - makes this project a no brainer.

Haha. Yeah. We knew going in that it may be an issue and we paid accordingly. ;)
Hopefully we are good, but if we have to do it, it's in the budget.
How are you going to do the inspection? Pull the head or look up the tube?

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Is this just a problem with the larger engines, or is it happening in the smaller ones as well? My engine is a yami 115

The unknown fisherman:p:

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
I have not seen any articles about the 4cylinder engines. Removing the lower is easy, not sure about getting it back on :D If I had a f115 or f150 in the years 02-05, I would call Andy at SIM, and see if the problem exists. If the problem exists, then there's probably discounted parts.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I have not seen any articles about the 4cylinder engines. Removing the lower is easy, not sure about getting it back on :D If I had a f115 or f150 in the years 02-05, I would call Andy at SIM, and see if the problem exists. If the problem exists, then there's probably discounted parts.
Ok, cool....Thanks Art!

The unknown fisherman:p:

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Thanks for the reply aguachico. Phoned my local shop and the f150 does not appear to be stricken with this problem.
Cool, glad that worked. I did see something on the f150's having issues with the harmonic balancer. The symptom was uncontrolled shaking and needs to checked before it goes bad as the shredded pieces fuck up the engine.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Stopped into see Robby at Boating Dynamics today. Wanted to take a look and talk stuff. I could tell he was not going to deliver any real bad news, but there's news.

This is the view of the pan. You can see the corrosion in the exhaust, but what you don't see is corrosion on the connection between the head and the exhaust :D. The head is good and clean.

You can see the just how extensive the corrosion is. Some pitting looks ready to breach thru the exhaust. My belief is that once the exhaust is breached, this opens a hole into your cooling route(marked in red - I believe). Forcing the cooling water into the exhaust and then the shit hits the fan. Now you have salt water being forced into an already vulnerable system. You can see where once the coating is gone, which happens ti be at a gasket, then the pitting is intensified.

The bad news is that the exhaust is about to breach it's sides and will have to be replaced. So I'm keeping the parts - as expected.

Power head.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
it is only the 225, i surprised that the MERCURY 225 does not have the problem, same exact motor just with a mercury lower unit
Any v6. 200, 225 or 250.

BTW: did I mark the ports in red above correctly? are all the red water pump, yellow oil and blue area gets open ocean water and no flush?

thanks