I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
VF115LA : 2016 FOUR STROKE OB 115 SHO

I noticed a small (2 tablespoon) oil leak below skeg. First time. It looks like it might have come from lower oil plug. Cleaned it up hasn’t come back. Could it have been the heat? Safe to run? Has about 300 hours.

E47C9027-BCB8-46AB-AAD2-19337CEC176E.jpeg

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
could be prop shaft seal leak.....

possible from fishing line caught in the prop...

unless its coming out of a weep hole ....

Bwood

Jan 24, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Brett
Boat
17' Whaler
Strange. I have the same issue. 90. 2018. Very small leak. Started a couple months after scheduled service. Couple of drops lost.

meandmyself

Who knows
Aug 5, 2012
san jose
Name
edgar teixeira
Boat
1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
if there was water in the gear case it would be leaking water from the lower plug not oil. did you smell the oil. smells bad like gear oil? could have just been a leak from the plug as you cleaned it and has gone since then.

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
Ok, guys we are talking BOATS here...nothing is random..and Complacency costs you money…don’t take ANYTHING for granted…make sure it is what you think it is….don’t guess, unless you have an unlimited supply of money.

It could be bad lower seals...water and gears don't mix...it could be a seal going bad... Why would it leak now? just random...you think the pressure is going to push fluid past a plug easier than it is past a seal?

If you are that close to service why not error on the side of caution?

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
Yeah, I’m going to take it in for service. Trying to get a gauge on how bad it could be. Take care

mmonti

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 15, 2012
Long Beach
Name
mmonti
Boat
Edgewater
Same thing happened to me back in June, I store my boat with the motor up and noticed oil in the splashwell, put the motor down and started coming out the water holes on the lower unit a few days later, a little poking and it turned out to be the shaft seal. Not the prop shaft, the main shaft. I do most of my own repairs but I wasn’t feeling pulling the powerhead. Called West Coast Marine and they got me in and got it fixed. Lubed all my junk up for me too, didn't even ask for it, fresh grease everywhere. Solid service team over there and quick.

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
Turned out no “gasket” was used when installing plug during last service. Easy fix. Does make me concerned about quality of service I was receiving before. Went with west coast marine this time, they were a breeze.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Turned out no “gasket” was used when installing plug during last service. Easy fix. Does make me concerned about quality of service I was receiving before. Went with west coast marine this time, they were a breeze.
Which shop forgot the gasket?

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Does Yamaha gear lube have no color added?

The gear lube I use is blue. Easy to figure out what is leaking.