sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat Name
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
My 9.9 Yamaha starter seized up this last weekend. I pulled it apart and it had lots of corrosion. Got it cleaned up and put back together and it’s running well. I would like to avoid getting saltwater in the starter in the future. I use it like most guys to back the boat into some pretty decent waves, several times it has been submergered by big waves. I think the biggest problem is the salt spray from repeated wave action. I spray my engine regularly but it isn’t gonna help the internals of my starter. I would love a snorkel attachment to raise and reverse the air intake, anybody seen or figured out such a solution.

C9CEF3CE-7EF5-4B15-9641-8B4D57CABC35.jpeg

5D01538C-92CC-4728-A3C2-C3E3DB61CB1E.jpeg

Reactions: jiggermyster

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat Name
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I had that same problem in the first year of ownership. I raised the height of my kicker by 4" and the problem went away. I don't know if that's an option for you, but with a XL shaft, I have only had a cavitation issue in rougher water than I'd like to spend much time.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat Name
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Maybe buy a used cowling and modify it but then I still think a lot of salt water gets in through the many gaps. I don’t think it’s just the intake which is designed to shed water.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
Spray some YamaShield on the parts and let it soak in. Its basically Boeshield T-9 with Yamaha's logo on it. It will help reduce some of the rusting.

Another fix is to figure out where the water is coming from and add a water deflector. Sometimes, if its close to transducers, they will spray on the motor. Its more likely to happen when you are on plane. We had one main engine with a shaft that was rusted and would not drop the lower. After putting in a deflector for the transducer, the water spray has been eliminated.

1651527448341.png

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Anonymous
Boat Name
None
I also use CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor on parts like trailers and even bottom of the car where it may get some salt spray during launching. I only put it on locations where a thicker film does not interfere with moving parts. The stuff is sticky at first but it dries into a tough surface and does not come off easily like other sprays. I wouldn't spray it on the engine inside the cowling because it does leave a film on parts. That is where I use Boeshield or Yamashield.

This video shows how good the parts look after a year of exposure. The corrosion is much worse in a salt spray environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tish and tuner
Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat Name
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
I had the 9.9 problem plus a carb efffed up a few years ago on the Duckworth I had. Here's the thread.....https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/learning-from-my-stupidity-if-you-want.682741/#post-4557653

FVSerenity posted a picture of a snorkel in the thread.

Anyway there was a bunch of ideas in the thread.

Reactions: sgwill122
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Florida
Name
Good
Boat Name
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Probably should just get a bigger boat and backtroll with the mains.

Happy to help 😂😂😂

Reactions: Elkfins
Upvote 0

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat Name
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
maybe Rudnick can add 5” to your bracket, like others have suggested

No issues on mine. (No Submarine when backing down)
7 years strong, had NR raise mine when I ordered the boat.

C68FF89C-6DB9-43DA-978D-0D9B4F20B763.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat Name
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I had the 9.9 problem plus a carb efffed up a few years ago on the Duckworth I had. Here's the thread.....https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/learning-from-my-stupidity-if-you-want.682741/#post-4557653

FVSerenity posted a picture of a snorkel in the thread.

Anyway there was a bunch of ideas in the thread.

Just checked out the the old thread and that snorkel is just what I am looking for. I am gonna PM Rod and see if he can print another or provide guidance. Hopefully the 8 and 9.9 have the same air intake.

Raising the motor would help but my issue could also be taking saltwater in the air intake when it is raised up in rough water or someone using the washdown hose and hitting the opening. I have also had the motor come out of the water on some pretty nasty hali days. The good news is it has lasted 6 years and was one of the easier things to pull apart and clean. As an FYI for those thinking spraying surface protectant on it will help, you are more likely to cause a problem. You do not want anything building up your bendix gear threads.

Upvote 0