Carl Don Carlsbad

Chasing Tail
Jul 28, 2019
Carlsbad
Name
Anthony
Boat
2019 HO Tracker
Hey guys. Learned today that my pops took a fall in a walk in freezer due to the slippery ground. I've bought him countless pairs of "anti slip" work shoes from a bunch of companies but I had the idea of getting him a pair of xtra tuff low tops. Would that be suitable for 8-10 hour work days on your feet? I know I see a lot of people wearing them on boats but I mean, the crew and customers arent older like my pops.

As far as comfortability and anti slip properties, would these be the way to go in a kitchen setting?

Thatsbait

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 5, 2015
Lake Stevens/Ocean Shores
Name
Thatsbait
Boat
22' Defiance "Interdictor"
I wear the shit out of my extra tuffs. Worn a bunch of pairs out. As I get older (44), I find they get a bit heavy by the end of the day, especially standing at the rail all day fishing. I even put gel soles in them.

Overall great boots, and good traction. 8 to 10 hours a day for an older guy, I'm not so sure, I would not give them to my Dad at 78, unless he needed full waterproof.

Reactions: rrhookup

striper30

Nov 23, 2011
Brea, ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Precision 28
The “shorties” xtra tuffs are very slippery. I ate crap on a 2.5 dayer when someone left the floor wet after showering in the head. They work fine on deck cause the decks are rough. I wouldn’t recommend for working especially in a freezer. My 2 cents.

Dragon

May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Nice of you to be looking out for you Dad. I am now about to be 65 yrs young. and I can no longer wear deck boots all day. Have done hard inserts from my Chiropractor you name it...tennis shoes would be better! There is just no foot bed structure or comfort wearing rubber boots. Right now I have Soft Science fishing shoes "feather lite" and Soft & Comfy. They are breathe able and self draining. I where them everyday even not fishing...Only problem is they are not waterproof they have mesh covered holes for drainage.

If any one knows the secret please share it. I was going to try the new low boots (Huk) I heard some good things? But it's mostly from young folks. I used to run around in flip flops too! so until you hit the 40,50, year mark you have NO Idea what I am talking about.

I threw on my old deck boots w/inserts the other day to wash the boat...It was like Torture! I thru them out... HELP

Last edited:
Reactions: tugasangler

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Have freezer boots been tried? I have zero experience with them

In September I did buy my first pair of shoes in the last 14 years, Wal-Mart $15. In Cali and I threw them away before flying back :D

Used Jason's boots for fishing out of SD in May, June, and September LOL had not worn boots for 14 years. Could barely walk after the trips haha

Last edited:

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Anthony, Sorry to here about your dad, and you are a great son, thinking ahead.

Here is my $0.02. I am no expert.

I have been using Extra-tuff boots for years. For fishing! They do get hot, and are not the most comfortable for just standing around (like kite jail). The short ones are much cooler (temp-wise). You must remember sport boat decks are coated with a ruff surface to minimize slipping.

I would not suggest them for someone going in and out of a freezer 8-10 hours a day. You do need a better sole for traction.
Check with someone that lives and works in the snow and ice.

As for comfort and support. I have used Spenco inserts for year. https://spenco.implus.com They have been around for years and many local sporting goods stores have them, sometimes even Big 5.

Recently, I saw another insert on "Shark Tank" and have bought a pair, Noene. They are a bit pricey but I do like them. However, I have not tried an all day adventure. https://noene.co/

Let us know what you end up with and how it works.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Reactions: Cubeye

koubster

Nordberg
May 30, 2009
Brentwood ca
Name
Orenthal james Simpson
Boat
SS white bronco
With upgraded insoles they’re the best... also look at restaurant supply stores online for anti slip shoes may be better for a freezer application

pukahd

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
I switched over to Grundens ...Deck Boss model which is a short style. I have wide "Flintstone" feet and I always had problems getting my foot out. Grundens was the best move with a added Dr Scholls Heavy Weight insoles

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
Xtra tuffs are comfortable as long as you switch out the insole. Super feet are good. I use in work boots and deck boots. I go with there green because of my arches but their other colors fit different shaped feet.

Reactions: Cubeye

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Xtra tuffs are comfortable as long as you switch out the insole. Super feet are good. I use in work boots and deck boots. I go with there green because of my arches but their other colors fit different shaped feet.
Yeah. I use the Blue ones. These arch supports/insoles are difficult to purchase on-line. You need to go to a store and try them out. They can also improve your posture and strength.

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor