Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    O.K. Steve... since We are both in sync, thought the rest of the audience here would benefit from the Facebook link. JRI jigs are very good. You brought up the confusion. I knew what Basil ment, as you did...

Reactions: ifish42na
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Looks like we're gonna be roomes Jeff.

Hope Lori told you that whoever I room with is required to bring a couple of extra 100 and 130 lb. rigs for me to use during the trip.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    O.K. Steve... since We are both in sync, thought the rest of the audience here would benefit from the Facebook link. JRI jigs are very good. You brought up the confusion. I knew what Basil ment, as you did...

Sorry, but I do not know what Basil meant, hence my question. For your info, I own a lot of JRI jigs and if Basil meant to say JRI8 instead of pl68, then I would get some of those also. In your opinion, what would I gain by "bringing up the confusion" as you claim?
    That just makes no sense.

Reactions: offshore6
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Sorry, but I do not know what Basil meant, hence my question. For your info, I own a lot of JRI jigs and if Basil meant to say JRI8 instead of pl68, then I would get some of those also. In your opinion, what would I gain by "bringing up the confusion" as you claim?
    That just makes no sense.

Thanks Basil...
    Since the statement was "Thanks to JRI" I understood what you ment...

Steve... I would not attempt to even try.... just giving my two cents.

Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    Sorry, yes I meant the JRI 8. This was an unsolicited donation from JRI, and much appreciated from the anglers here on XL who are catching fish using them.

Thanks. Were they the glow in the dark? Seems like those are the go at night.

Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    Thanks Basil...
    Since the statement was "Thanks to JRI" I understood what you ment...

Steve... I would not attempt to even try.... just giving my two cents.

Attempt to try what? You seem to be imagining something that is nonexistent. But I got my answer from Basil, so that is all. BTW, I have bought a ton of topshots from Basil too, so you are barking up the wrong tree.

Upvote 0

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
    Texas
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    To be determined

Simple mistake calling it a PL68 they are very similar so not the end of the world. I think most people on here know about JRI8's and probably knew what Basil meant but there may be some who didn't. But since Jerry donated the jigs and no doubt wants to spread the word about his own product it's a nice thing to mention his product by it's actual name. Again I know Basil didn't mean to slight Jerry, common mistake and I don't think Steve meant any disrespect to Basil by pointing it out. No harm no foul. The JRI-8's are really well made btw.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    I recently fished both the PL-68 and the JRI-8 in PV and didn't notice any significant difference in the way they fished (I think the JRI-8 is slightly smaller). IMO, the JRI-8 is finished way better and has better OEM components than the Salas with regards to materials used, quality of the hook, glow finish, etc. Overall cost is similar too when you consider that the hook doesn't need to be changed out on the JRI-8 like it often does when you buy the Salas PL68. Those big game tuna J hooks are not cheap!

Reactions: Squid Sammich
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I might be wrong but I think the JRI-8 heavy is brass. (Since JRI advertises aluminum and brass jigs on Facebook)

Reactions: Squid Sammich
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I recently fished both the PL-68 and the JRI-8 in PV and didn't notice any significant difference in the way they fished (I think the JRI-8 is slightly smaller). IMO, the JRI-8 is finished way better and has better OEM components than the Salas with regards to materials used, quality of the hook, glow finish, etc. Overall cost is similar too when you consider that the hook doesn't need to be changed out on the JRI-8 like it often does when you buy the Salas PL68. Those big game tuna J hooks are not cheap!
    Hmmm...I have lots of Salas PL68 jigs and ALL of them have Mustad 7691 hooks. He does sell them with treble hooks, but why buy one with a treble hook and then decide to change it out? Just buy one with a single.

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I know his yoyo jigs are brass and heavier than the "size equivalent" salas or tadys. That makes JRIs better yoyo jigs than the others. IMO
    Better because they're heavier? Heavier jigs sink faster, but they are also more work to wind in. Try yoyo jigging a 12.6 oz jig for an hour and you will see what I mean. And by the way, I believe the Tady 4/0 is made of brass. Correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    Better because they're heavier? Heavier jigs sink faster, but they are also more work to wind in. Try yoyo jigging a 12.6 oz jig for an hour and you will see what I mean. And by the way, I believe the Tady 4/0 is made of brass. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have found that getting down faster and more straight up and down is a plus when yoyo jigging.

Upvote 0

poncherello

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 11, 2005
    san Diego
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    none
    BIG Thank You to Jerry and John at JRI for their generous donations to this trip. We appreciate the new Intruder as well as the PL68's and wahoo bombs. They have gone to good use!

You are very welcome Basil, glad they worked out for you and the guys on the boat.

And by the way, I believe the Tady 4/0 is made of brass. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hey Cub, a few decades ago, Tady did make a brass yoyo jig. They would be stamped with the letter "B" under the model number. Today I believe they are made of zinc or a blend of zinc.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    You are very welcome Basil, glad they worked out for you and the guys on the boat.

Hey Cub, a few decades ago, Tady did make a brass yoyo jig. They would be stamped with the letter "B" under the model number. Today I believe they are made of zinc or a blend of zinc.
    Thank you. I have some Tady BA jigs that are made from brass. I could be wrong, but I think they are about three or four years old.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I have found that getting down faster and more straight up and down is a plus when yoyo jigging.
    Yes, I would have to agree. During a fast drift most "conventional" yo yo jigs don't work as well. That's when I switch to a knife jig. They have a lower profile and cut through the water column much easier. And, of course, it depends on the species you are targeting as to how fast you want your jig to fall and how fast you retrieve it. I don't think a fast fall or retrieve is necessary for tuna fishing. What's your opinion?

Upvote 0