Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
"That's OK, I'll go hook another one." And nobody died.

Reactions: potuna
Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
I don't saw people off... I just mow them down, lol

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
No one wants to sawed-off or do the sawing! Bad things happen....the longer you are on the fish, the higher the probability of something going wrong. Set drags accordingly and pull hard!! You can do everything right and still end up with a poor result. Fortunately the reverse happens too :) !

The guy sounds like he has a great attitude and went back to fishing...which is not the easiest to do. Kudos to him!

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
Almost 40 tuna yesterday including several in the 180 and 190 class, largest of the day for Andy Marcum weighing in at 199.8, on a balloon. 5/0 Trokars or 6/0 EC2004 is the perfect hook for the size sardines we have. Nothing on the chunk yet.

Heartbreak story of the day: The kite was working great this morning, 5 up and 5 fish including me at 10AM. Angler X comes up next on the kite at 10:30. Jail time! At 4:00PM he finally hooks one! Shark!!! He promptly fires himself and heads to the galley. But the story continues...Next angler up, and Rene is flying the baits out. "Right there Rene!" He drops in! Hookup!!! "Take that!" Rene exclaimed in an unusual moment of candor for the usually reserved 2nd Captain. Fish on! Next up in the kite! But wait!

Next angler up hooks up as well! Remember Angler X is in the galley nursing his wounds. Now he walks outside. 2 anglers followed him within 20 minutes with 2 hookups. Moral of the story: never quit the kite, especially at 4PM on Hurricane Bank.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Almost 40 tuna yesterday including several in the 180 and 190 class, largest of the day for Andy Marcum weighing in at 199.8, on a balloon. 5/0 Trokars or 6/0 EC2004 is the perfect hook for the size sardines we have. Nothing on the chunk yet.

Heartbreak story of the day: The kite was working great this morning, 5 up and 5 fish including me at 10AM. Angler X comes up next on the kite at 10:30. Jail time! At 4:00PM he finally hooks one! Shark!!! He promptly fires himself and heads to the galley. But the story continues...Next angler up, and Rene is flying the baits out. "Right there Rene!" He drops in! Hookup!!! "Take that!" Rene exclaimed in an unusual moment of candor for the usually reserved 2nd Captain. Fish on! Next up in the kite! But wait!

Next angler up hooks up as well! Remember Angler X is in the galley nursing his wounds. Now he walks outside. 2 anglers followed him within 20 minutes with 2 hookups. Motto of the story: never quit the kite, especially at 4PM on Hurricane Bank.
Sometimes a change is required. It happened to me, but I was after angler X. As soon as my bait got out to the zone, it was instant hook up.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Kub,

Your bait gets bit any time it is wet!

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats

Next angler up hooks up as well! Remember Angler X is in the galley nursing his wounds. Now he walks outside. 2 anglers followed him within 20 minutes with 2 hookups. Moral of the story: never quit the kite, especially at 4PM on Hurricane Bank.

Amen to that, as a matter of fact, never quit fishing any method while it's getting dark at the Hurricane Bank.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Amen to that, as a matter of fact, never quit fishing any method while it's getting dark at the Hurricane Bank.

Or the Buffer Zone, or anywhere else. I have put most of my fish on deck within an hour of both sides of sunrise and sunset. Magic time. :)

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Duplicate post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
I find it odd that they seem to have a good surface bite going (balloon/kite working well along with fly line sardines) and a limited load on the Big X which has a huge open bow that's low to the water with a low rail and there is absolutely NO mention of the spin gear (popper/stick bait) gear being used here on this spin gear user friendly LR boat? Perhaps they are just waiting for the larger models to show up before breaking out the "state of the art" spin gear with that 70lbs of max drag to take that walk on the wild side. :D

Glad they are hooking a nice grade of YFT (landing a bunch) and taking advantage of conventional wisdom. Gotta love that pink Yo-Zuri!

G

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
No one wants to sawed-off or do the sawing! Bad things happen....the longer you are on the fish, the higher the probability of something going wrong. Set drags accordingly and pull hard!! You can do everything right and still end up with a poor result. Fortunately the reverse happens too :) !

The guy sounds like he has a great attitude and went back to fishing...which is not the easiest to do. Kudos to him!

- Jeff Burroughs

Fantastic thread! Great perspective & READ. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Thanks for taking the time to do this. We all appreciate it.
Leaving on the 10th. 14 day, gettin' fired up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canyonman

Dec 2, 2005
brooklyn
Name
joe
Boat
Independence
Keep the faith and never give up a kite rotation. Short story. A few years back at the island. Kathy Needleman 2 days on the kite no love End of day she finally gets bit 336 lbs at the dock. Next kite bait up Gary Sturney 288 lb at the dock. Jail sucks but parole could be sweet

Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
I set my phone for one hour, if I do take a turn at all (pretty rare occurance to see me on the kite)
Timer goes off, I'm done, get the next guy up.
Partially because most times I'm sponsor person for Okuma, and dont want to be known as "kitehog"
But mostly because I'd rather fish for them in different ways. Not a fan of kite jail at all.

Keep those reports coming Basil, it's been great having you report in.

Reactions: fshholc
Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
I set my phone for one hour, if I do take a turn at all (pretty rare occurance to see me on the kite)
Timer goes off, I'm done, get the next guy up.
Partially because most times I'm sponsor person for Okuma, and dont want to be known as "kitehog"
But mostly because I'd rather fish for them in different ways. Not a fan of kite jail at all.

Keep those reports coming Basil, it's been great having you report in.

X2... I like to select my own bait, hook my bait to my choice of terminal and personally executed connections then cast, underhand lob or sink that bait out, hook my fish, fight my fish with my selected rod/reel in my hands (other than a handoff to a deckhand for getting around the anchor davit or for getting out of or thru a tangle)... this way in my mind I can say that I legitimately hooked and caught that fish... the hooking & fighting of the fish was NOT a team effort per say (JMO). With that said, quite often the BIGS are hooked on the kite and at times its the only way to get bit... via the kite or balloon so in those conditions I'll partake for an hour max using my own gear and terminal tackle. To each their own as they say...

G

Last edited:
Upvote 0

walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
BIG Thank You to Jerry and John at JRI for their generous donations to this trip. We appreciate the new Intruder as well as the PL68's and wahoo bombs. They have gone to good use!

Do you mean JRI 8 jigs, or salas pl68? And, how big was Pete's fish?

Upvote 0