DH10

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
OK, not in WA, but the guys hunting were from WA...My Brothers and friend Tom came out for the elk opener in September. The hunt area always has good odds to draw, because most of it is wilderness, and access is pretty difficult unless you hire an outfitter (Wyoming has a ridiculous regulation that requires non residents to hire guides in the wilderness). But I have killed a bunch of elk in this area that sees few hunters....for a reason. Lots of logistics. We took my boat down a lake, then packed in a few miles, then used some boats that are stashed at another lake and rowed 2 miles down to the camp I had set up the previous weekend. Great camping weather, terrible hunting weather, it was in the mid 70's. Didn't hear many elk bugling and a freak windstorm a few week back caused a massive deadfall in much of the areas I had scouted out. But my brother spotted a herd 1000' up on the ridge above the lake, and he and Tom climbed up through the deadfall from an old fire and Brian killed a monster bull! Can't emphasize enough how nasty the country was, but we packed over 250 pounds of meat, and the head down off that ridge...took 2 days. Kept the meat chilled in the creek, and then rowed it back, along with all the camp gear, then made a few trips back to my boat. Such a great adventure with my brothers, the fishing was fantastic, couldn't have worked out any better!!!

Lake.png
Lake.png
Bull.jpg
Brian Bull.png
Brothers.png
Done.png

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Holy crap. Y’all are hard core.

muskyman

Tina come get some ham
Feb 10, 2005
Loudon TN
Name
David
Boat
Crestliner 1750 Sportfish 150 E-Tec
that's the kind of trip I dream of. Thank you

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Nice lookin lake. What fish ya'all catching?

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Great job. Nice looking bull. That's how we hunted Moose in Alaska.

koorbloh

Lion hunter
Jun 16, 2010
Monroe, WA
Name
Jeff
Boat
17' Smokercraft Osprey
I've tried to run through logistics of a similar trip here in WA. That's a lot of wanting to go. Seems like it was worth it though. Nice bull! Nice report!

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

URN

Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
Hummm. Looks like familiar area. I grew up in SW Wyoming. I told the wife if we move away from AK the only place I'll settle is in WY. Nice bull and good reading.

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Nice lookin lake. What fish ya'all catching?
The Lake has Rainbow, Brown, Brook, Cutthroat and Lake Trout. Caught everything but pure cutthroat. Did get some Cutt/Bow hybrids though...

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Helluva a job. Very impressive. Just wondering, should one be worried about storing meat in water? Lots of nasty microibs and shit in there. It could be perfectly safe, that's why I'm asking, I have no idea.

Memories forever, you guys will be talking about that hunt the rest of your lives...

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat
17 Crestliner
Helluva a job. Very impressive. Just wondering, should one be worried about storing meat in water? Lots of nasty microibs and shit in there. It could be perfectly safe, that's why I'm asking, I have no idea.

Memories forever, you guys will be talking about that hunt the rest of your lives...
Best not to get it wet, but better wet than warm! We put the meat in plastic garbage bags, they mostly stayed dry, but a couple ended up with some water in them. But we left them out in their game bags overnight and they were mostly dry and cold after hanging (It did get down to low 30's at night). All meat was cold and under ice immediately after arriving at the truck. We processed the entire elk at my house the next day: cut up/ground up that whole thing in one afternoon, all of it frozen hard as a rock when they left to go back to WA.....

Reactions: EJ Swanny