aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
I am testing out the water here in the US and helping a business partner in Japan. Here are some Japanese spike on sell. I only have 35 set of this to be sold. As I have said I am trying to see if this Japanese method of most of us fisherman who wants top fresh fish would try it here. I have also attached a video on how to us this spike. This spike can also help deflate the air bladder from rockfish.

$20 and $7 for shipping. Wish it was cheaper for envelope items

Closing Fish Immediately
The instant treatment is essential. DO NOT let the fish suffer. When the fish suffers, like slowly drowning in the air, there’s a chemical reaction in the muscles. Stress is not just an emotion. Stress eats up the energy source and chemical compounds within the muscle cells which make us feel “tasty”. Stress also leaves fatigue components like lactic acid and ammonia within the meat. The recent study shows when the fish suffers to death, the chemical reactions in the meat speed up to decomposition. That also means that the tasty period for the meat comes and goes very quickly.
Some people keep the fish alive in a bucket. The intention is probably to keep the fish as fresh as possible, but this is the worst thing you can do to the fish actually. The suffering lasts longer. The meat will be tasteless, soggy, and quick to go rotten. Fishing boats have fish tanks where the fresh sea water comes in and out. This is much better than a bucket. But if you mean to eat the fish, better close it immediately.

Breaking spinal cord
What this treatment does is to isolate the muscle “off-line” so that it wouldn’t know that it’s dead. This treatment slows down the breakdown process. resulting in tasty period lasting longer, giving more time for the aging process.
In several hours after fish dies, it experiences the whole body contraction, called rigor mortis. Even after death, the muscles keep looking for energy source but there’s no blood supply or no oxygen. So they start consuming the savings of energy within the cells, called ATP. ATP decrease changes pH and results in the whole body contraction. When ATP is all used up, the muscles literally die. That’s when the body is the most rigid, the state of rigor mortis. After this, the body starts loosening and the proteins start breaking down to amino acids and then eventually to decomposition.
By breaking the spinal cord, you kind of set the meat into sleep. It slows and calms down the break-down process in a way we call “aging”.

Draining Blood
Blood is bad. Blood is where the fishy odor comes from. Blood is what incubates all the bacteria. Don’t wait. Drain completely as soon as you close the fish.
If you wait, blood will get in the meat and that’s the end. The meat will soon get smelly, look dark and go rotten.

20170418_180902.jpg 20170418_180916.jpg 20170418_180933.jpg flounder02.png

Last edited:

MR GREENS

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 22, 2015
Gardena
Name
TONY BELTRAN
Boat
NONE
I need to see this video in english LOL. What exactly does the wire do? How long does it take to do this. Im usually on a cattle boat.

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
I need to see this video in english LOL. What exactly does the wire do? How long does it take to do this. Im usually on a cattle boat.
It is usually quick. This product has a hole built right in the middle of the spike. Once you hit the brain just run the wire down its spinal cord. YouTube has lots of video to show you how to do it. Takes me about 2 mins to do it

Sent from my SM-T377T using BDOutdoors mobile app powered by Tapatalk

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
All stainless? I'll take one

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
I'd sure love to see the video in English!

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Neat tool! That said please don't use it to deflate any fishes swim bladder. Sure the fish will swim away but likely die of infection later. Use one of the commercially available devices or a weighted milk crate like we did in the old days

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
35 set left. Selling them for $20 each. Buy as much as you want and it will still $7 for shipping

JoshInSD

Dec 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
Mackerel Magnet (Sailfish 21' CC)
Bump again 15 pieces left
$20 + shipping is a fair price. Paid ¥1,440 ($13) for mine today but you don't need to fly to Japan to get it! That saves you at least the markup!