Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
I was on the kayak in mission bay a few days ago and there were some shore fisherman fishing close by. I watched this guy and his kid catch eight rays and they killed every one. Then they would just through them further up the shore to let the birds eat them.

Why kill something if you are not going to use it? Doesn't make any sense to me. Does anyone have any insight into why they do this? These aren't the only guys I have seen doing this. I have seen a few groups of shore fisherman catching and killing rays but not using them. WTF?

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    I was on the kayak in mission bay a few days ago and there were some shore fisherman fishing close by. I watched this guy and his kid catch eight rays and they killed every one. Then they would just through them further up the shore to let the birds eat them.

Why kill something if you are not going to use it? Doesn't make any sense to me. Does anyone have any insight into why they do this? These aren't the only guys I have seen doing this. I have seen a few groups of shore fisherman catching and killing rays but not using them. WTF?

I understand your anger. Most fisherman consider sting ray as annoying by catch and see them as abundant like ants,roaches or mice.

I'm with you in the sense that there is no need to kill the poor things no matter how annoying they may be to catch.

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Do you want to get even more pissed off?.....go down to San Diego Harbor by the Hilton and watch every single bass ,fish caught no matter the size go in the bucket.......

Upvote 0

sueno

Go Fishing!
    Jun 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the bay yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish. LOL

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I wish the DFG would actually check the shore anglers on Mission Bay once in a while. I suspect that many, if not most of them, are not properly licensed.

Paul
    Theres no money in that,better to go after the guy with a nice truck and boat,he'll pay up for sure...

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
    Apr 14, 2014
    Brea
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    qajaq
    Sherm

You should know better.

DFG General Regs:

1.87. WASTE OF FISH. It is unlawful to cause or permit any deterioration or waste of any fish taken in the waters of this state.

1-888-334-CalTIP (888-334-2258)
    Thanks for sharing, I'm saving the number now. I hate seeing this crap, meanwhile the dfg only targets people with no license. They could just hit up the pier and rack tickets up all day.

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

Apr 14, 2014
    Brea
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    qajaq
    There's even an app!
    331899d7538c1f11c0509bad7443e3bd.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

Apr 14, 2014
    Brea
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    qajaq
    last time I read is that you don't need a License to fish off a Pier' unless things have changed
    No that didn't change. I mean all the people who keep over limits and short fish. The pier rats keep it all!

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Thanks for sharing, I'm saving the number now. I hate seeing this crap, meanwhile the dfg only targets people with no license. They could just hit up the pier and rack tickets up all day.
    You go to the pier and I will hit the launch ramp. Lets see who finds more violaters. Not disagreeing the that a lot of pier guys keep everything, but for every pier caught fish that is short there are 50 caught on boats. Piers are just not that good for fishing anymore. Wardens go where the most violators are. Its that simple. I just wish there were more wardens so they could hit everywhere.

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Rainbow Surprise
    You go to the pier and I will hit the launch ramp. Lets see who finds more violaters. Not disagreeing the that a lot of pier guys keep everything, but for every pier caught fish that is short there are 50 caught on boats. Piers are just not that good for fishing anymore. Wardens go where the most violators are. Its that simple. I just wish there were more wardens so they could hit everywhere.

I'll find more at the pier because no one will let me dig around their boat. I too wish there were more wardens, it's pretty clear there aren't enough to go around.

Upvote 0

embo

I've been recommended for a recommendation...
    Aug 25, 2006
    Name
    n/a
    Boat
    17' Bluewater
    "We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have got to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebodys part!"

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
    Jun 21, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Hey you
    Boat
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    Go down to fiesta island and watch the debauchery that takes place. I don't want to sound like a racist asshole but there is a certain nationality "known for their fondness of fish" that frequent the island in large groups. We pulled over one day and watched them take every friggen thing they caught. They new it was illegal because they would run up to their cars, look around and put them in the trunk. I swear if they had cought a turd in a baggie they would have kept it!

Upvote 0