WTF is WRONG with people?

Discussion in 'Nonsense Anything Boards' started by Mark66, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Mark66

Mark66 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    27' Cat
    Headed back from the Islands today and stop on a paddy with pelicans sitting on it. Circle it, meter nothing and notice one of the pelicans looks like it can't move really well. Come to find out three of them were bound together with about a hundred feet of fishing line. One of them had a broken leg, another had line cutting into it's wing. Spent a half hour cutting them loose, don't know if any of them will make it.

Anybody care to hep me to why used line is thrown into the ocean like that? I've watched deck hands and others do it on occasion and haven't commented. Enough of that shit. It ends up killng wildlife and in other boaters props and equipment.

Earlier in the day a few dolphin were milling around and one was acting lethargic, it had 3-4" hole in it's shoulder that was bloody, another gunshot dolphin? WTF? :shake:

2. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Bleached Starfish...

Name:
    Pace , ペース様
    Boat:
    Ez Go golf cart
    I have had more than one instance that had 30+lbs mono or whatever just outside HH past the break wall get rapped on the screw... Had to shut down and tilt it up and remove the prop hoping that it did not fuck anything up. The fucking shitheads unload line then load up on the trip to Catalina. I've been at the horshoe and picked up a full dumped reel of line throwing iron. Just fucking unbeleivable.

3. OBfishguy

OBfishguy Newbie

Name:
    Justin Iacino
    Boat:
    pallet with oars
    first off I dont believe most deckhands dump line, Last year I watched a passenger dumping his line off the boat just before he clipped it I grabbed the line and hand lined it in, then I brought the whole mess up to him and asked him if he would like this wrapped around his neck? this combined with the fact that him and his brother had killed two day limits of yellow and told us that they didn't want them just throw them over. when we got to the dock and they got their 150 dollar beer bill they went nuts, wanted to fight and all.
    the moral of the story is that people suck, sometimes people go fishing and some times they fuck up the ocean like their own lives.
    Deckhands IMHO care more about the ocean than the average beer drinking fishermen, simply because they live on the water and their lively hoods depend on it
    That being said some deckhands are pieces of shit

4. MM2

MM2 thunnus

Name:
    charlie
    Boat:
    26'PACEMAKER SPORTFISHER "CORAZON"
    you said it, went on a two day recently and had a guy that drank and stank, when he wakes up he puts in a pole and yanks a nice yellow and wtf, finally his beer and fish bill come close to a hundy he pays gets his ass in a whirl and takes his change leaves no tip what a pos. Fish on my brothers, save some for the grandkids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Charlie/MM2

5. MacAttack

MacAttack Newbie

Name:
    Boat:
    The bar’s for drinking. Boat’s for fishing. Getting a nice buzz on the water with your buddies is fine, but when things start to move - fishing wise - too many sharp things to hurt you, and if you go over the stern during the middle of the night - nobody’s going to find you. Alive anyway.

On the fishing line - other gear - or just plain garbage: Pack out what you bring in. A supply of plastic shopping bags stow the shit line easily. Zero excuse to put it in the water - anywhere. I have zero idea of how long it takes that stuff to degrade down to harmless - but I’ve got a feeling it’s a fair piece of time.

Some think if they're never taught any different - then its got to be okay?

6. TEAMFISH

TEAMFISH JUST ADD WATER

Name:
    DAVE
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Fisherman
    Funny, Just went to my boat on Sunday to do some routine maintenance, you know clean,check supplies,fire up the engine. So when I go to put the muffs on the outdrive I notice some fishing line in the props, so I take the props off and discover I have about 75 fucking yards of 80 lb. wrapped around the prop shaft and a destroyed seal that is now pouring out watered down gear oil.Fuck me!! I feel the pain.

7. PHOTOG

PHOTOG Voted "best Elitest"

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    divorce ate them...
    Plastic fishing line doesnt bio-degrade...at least in any quick manner. Bad idea to spool in out into the drink.

Loco, good on you for helping the birds man, the good karma will come back to you.

8. DawnPatrol

DawnPatrol Cora's & Hollis' GrandPa

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    2520 Parker SL 250 Yammie

Justin, you have your head screwed on right! Thanks for that!
    Alan

9. splashy77

splashy77 Member

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
    good point on the line dumping. I watched my brother build a wire mesh box with locking compartment. It was painted to match. Alot of time and his own $ went into making this line recycling box which was to be attached to the railing on Goleta Pier. He got the approval/permit to put this "test" line recycling bin on the pier in an attempt to help keep the ocean, shoreline, wildlife, props, people, etc. out of harms way. Well, we just recently fished there this last weekend, and it was ripped from its location and probably thrown into the ocean. Now for the record, if by some chance the spineless, waste of sperm, happens to read this and knows it was them who was responsible for it, I would really, really, like to set up an appointment and meet you! And right before you bleed to death, we'll try to figure out Why anyone could be that stupid, senseless, ignorant, etc.

10. Ol Pedro

Ol Pedro Newbie

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    90' Gambler
    Mono's bad but braid is worse !!!

11. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    I've seen at least 10 guys on a hot paddy stop get broke off in one stop by yellows. I'd say that's a lot of line hangin underneath that paddy.

12. Mark66

Mark66 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    27' Cat
    Yep,
    Most deckhands I've met are good guys and great fisherman. Most guys I've fished with don't dump line. Line gets broken off and thats a fact of fishing.

I'm just sayin, When it's a choice of throwing it away on a boat or throwing it overboard, it matters.

If you think it doesn't, you're tardin hard. I may have to claim v-cash royalties for that one.

13. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    The bullet hole was probably a commercial. You are in Mexican waters BTW...

14. Gmoyer

Gmoyer Member

Name:
    Gary Moyer
    Boat:
    38' Bertram - Los Lobos
    Anyone know where can I take my old line to be recylced?

15. MacAttack

MacAttack Newbie

Name:
    Boat:
    I think most cities have programs to convert most plastics into park benches and the like - and if they don't, the county most certainly does. Their websites may be able to direct you to a source.

16. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Newbie

Name:
    Lab Rat
    Boat:
    Workin on it (floggin' JiGGZ)
    It's often devastating to see wildlife suffer (or die) due to the reckless behavior of humans. I used to volunteer for Project Wildlife, helping to rescue birds & mammals, and you wouldn't believe some of the trauma these animals have survived. You can visit their site here www.projectwildlife.org

And if anyone is interesting in spending a couple of hours helping out the marine & aviary wildlife, they take volunteers on a regular basis.

It's nice to see some concern for your fellow fisher"men"!

17. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Ass holes are everywhere...

i just returned from a three day hike with my son...we camped out at Cottonwood Lakes (long Lake)...it's at about 10000 feet...5-6 mile hike in...you would think the people that put in the effort to get to such a prestine area would be environmentally conscious...these lakes are crystal clear....full of golden trout.....
    [​IMG]
    I hiked down to lake to pump some drinking water, three guys about 50 yards away are washing there fucking clothes in the lake with soap...smoking a cigarette (which I would guess ended up in the lake), and swigging from a huge bottle of vodka (the size up after a fifth)...unfrocking believable......the soap was working it's way down to where i was pumping water.......I watched for a few minutes, but bit my tongue....moved 100 yards further down, and pumped my water....
    [​IMG]

I normally would have said something, but seeing these three guys with crew cuts, swigging from the huge vodka bottle, being 5-6 miles from my car, only a handful of campers in the basin, and having my son with me, I chose to look the other way.... round, not worth escalating things.

I guess what I'm saying is, Sadly you will find DICKHEADS everywhere....
    I'm sure those assholes also didn't "pack out" that empty vodka bottle....IHopefully a bear gave them a visit while they were wasted off thier ass on the Vodka...

18. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    The next big CA fire will most likely come from some asshat tossing a cig out the window. They have firetrucks stationed all over the mountains right now to better get a jump on a fire.
    Just hope whoever starts it gets caught.