That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Guys,
I am looking for a good transducer for my C80 which has a DSM300. Figured it is worth a shot to post here since it seems that many folks are upgrading.
Cheers

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
What's your budget? I've got a new M260, with tank complete kit. I picked it up off EBay for around $650.00. I don't think I'm going to use it and was thinking about selling it. Great 1000 Watt ducer.... you would to put your Raymarine connector on it. Solder or use the Airmar junction box.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
P 66 is around $125.00 new
P66 is a 600 watt low end transducer..... he has a 1000 watt DSM 300, I would want to maximize the capabilities myself...

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Yeah, that's what i would prefer. I have a P66 on a furuno right now. I'm hoping for better results on the raymarine unit. I've been reading about that M260 John and it seems like everyone is happy with it. I guess my concern is how much do i invest into this legacy gear? Semingson hooked me up with everything else a couple years ago for 600 including the radar, so i'm doing ok. I'm going to have to ignore what i see on other people's chirp displays to be happy with my gear :D

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Yeah, that's what i would prefer. I have a P66 on a furuno right now. I'm hoping for better results on the raymarine unit. I've been reading about that M260 John and it seems like everyone is happy with it. I guess my concern is how much do i invest into this legacy gear? Semingson hooked me up with everything else a couple years ago for 600 including the radar, so i'm doing ok. I'm going to have to ignore what i see on other people's chirp displays to be happy with my gear :D
I understand the "how much to spend on legacy gear" and struggle with the same thing. Many many people are not abandoning these older, but simply adding chirp as it seems they have different features and uses. Others are going to wait and see how much better chirp gets.

I have a 1000 watt b256 and it is better than the m260 for the 200 htz and slightly less on 50 htz, so I decided to leave it rather than changing to the m260. The b256 (b258) uses 4 elements that it uses for both frequencies, and the M260 has one large element for 200 and 8 elements for 50, so it switches between elements for the frequencies with a built in diplexer.

The other draw back of the M260 is temp. I bought Airmar T42 temp sensor and was going to add that with the M260. I like the idea of not having the giant fairing on the bottom of the boat. I was going to wire both into my Sounder unit for the best transducer and temp available for 1000 watt.

I have it all sitting in my garage and have aroun $800 into everything, I searched around and got a good deal on the stuff I bought, but it still isn't cheap. The good thing is you can keep temp sensor and transducer for your next machine if the C80 goes out.

Last edited:

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
That free B60 is an awesome price! And super generous for him to give to you, I had one with my old DSM30 and it was fine, but once I went to 1000 watt, I don't think I could go back. Once again putting your DSM 300 on a 600 watt platform when you have 1000 watts to work with... I see so many posts on various boards from people who can't get good use of their Sounder.... using it for depth only because they can't mark fish...

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Patrick, that's an amazing offer! Thank you, i will almost certainly have to take you up on that. Problem is, it seems like this thread is turning into how i need a 1000W unit.

See excerpt from patricks blackmouth seminar notes (last bullet in section 6). I should probably practice what he preaches :rolleyes:
IMG_0255.PNG

And yes this was his blackmouth seminar. Somehow we got distracted and started talking tuna:D

Reactions: LJB

Walker Inc.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
Patrick, that's an amazing offer! Thank you, i will almost certainly have to take you up on that. Problem is, it seems like this thread is turning into how i need a 1000W unit.

See excerpt from patricks blackmouth seminar notes (last bullet in section 6). I should probably practice what he preaches :rolleyes:
View attachment 852914
And yes this was his blackmouth seminar. Somehow we got distracted and started talking tuna:D
You were a good student. The good news is that it's a smaller hole. When you upgrade to a 1kw you can just make it bigger.

I will leave it under my carport. Headed back to WP in the Am. PM me for adress

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
Sorry wasn't trying to change your thread... you listed what type of equipment you had and that you wanted to upgrade, so I was trying to give you good information about upgrades for your DSM300.

Notice your notes from Patrick's clinic most important aspect of transducer is size and power....... b60 has neither size or power..... your notes list the SS270 which is a wide angle 1000 watt (had one on my defiance and it was awesome) and the R109 which is 2000 watt, so won't work with your DSM.

Experts will tell you to get a better transducer even if you only have 600 watts to work with... wattage is not as important except for in depth. You will never have an expert tell you to run a low end 600 watt transducer when you have 1000 watts at your finger. You can run a B260 or M260 (or any 1000 watt transducer) on 600 watts and still get a better result than a 600 watt transducer..... the size and number of elements it what is important. The B60 is about the same as a transom mount P66..... probably not an upgrade from what you have.....

Free is a great price and maybe you don't want to invest the money, and I totally understand that, but you are probably not upgrading from a p66 if that is what you have.

Last edited:

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Ducer is in my shop, thanks again Patrick!

Couldn't pass up the exchange rate which included some banquet. Guess i will have to get out in the shop and get that radar tower built too..

I will run it this year and see about getting the 1K next year. Once again the brotherhood comes thru. Never ceases to amaze me

Reactions: LJB

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Ok, well back to the drawing board. I would need a 12 degree model so this one is a no go. Still looking, and i pm'd you John for more details.

Patrick, i will return the B60 once you get back this way. Its a whopping 3.9 miles between our houses.

53driver

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 20, 2008
Mackay Marine, Fife Wa.
Name
Dave/Olex
Boat
19' Livingston Viking 'Iku Turso'
Ok, well back to the drawing board. I would need a 12 degree model so this one is a no go. Still looking, and i pm'd you John for more details.

Patrick, i will return the B60 once you get back this way. Its a whopping 3.9 miles between our houses.
The transducer would not have connected. The p/n E66087 as shown on the box is for the new "lowercase" a,c,e,es etc series models. It has a different plug than the DSM/CP series.

Would work with a cut and splice. I don't believe they make an adapter for that conversion. DSM series transducer to new model sounder they do, E66066

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Rereading these old posts, one can see how much knowledge there is on this board. Priceless

The good: i still have patricks ducer brand new in box. I tried to return it about a month ago but nobody was home. If anyone has a need for it, we will figure things out with patrick, I'm sure he is busy.

The bad: Still looking for a transducer. I prefer a tm260 at this point. Looks like they are still worth some coin. If nobody has one to part with i may just buy one new, compliments of mr. Kringle.

I am going to bend tubing and install the radar i have never used. Although not touchscreen, I'm happy with the MFD for my needs. Not really looking to upgrade at this point.

John, if that m260 is still taking up space give me a shout

Happy holidays

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
P
Rereading these old posts, one can see how much knowledge there is on this board. Priceless

The good: i still have patricks ducer brand new in box. I tried to return it about a month ago but nobody was home. If anyone has a need for it, we will figure things out with patrick, I'm sure he is busy.

The bad: Still looking for a transducer. I prefer a tm260 at this point. Looks like they are still worth some coin. If nobody has one to part with i may just buy one new, compliments of mr. Kringle.

I am going to bend tubing and install the radar i have never used. Although not touchscreen, I'm happy with the MFD for my needs. Not really looking to upgrade at this point.

John, if that m260 is still taking up space give me a shout

Happy holidays
Pm sent. It’s still setting in garage...