Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
It's that time again...our babies have outgrown their tanks in Redondo and they need to be set free to grow-up and be caught by our So. Cal Anglers.
These are some big fish, averaging at least 12" long...these are some of the biggest WSB I've ever released.
We'll need a bunch of volunters. Since the fish are so big we can only net 4 fish at a time to transfer to the mobile tank...and it's going to take most of the day to net and transfer all 3000 fish to the harbor.
I'm not sure of the start time yet...so I'll post it as soon as I get it. My advise would be to spread out your arrival times to last during the day so that we don't have a bunch of volunteers in the morning and then run out of help later in the day.
The growout tanks are at the SEA LAB facilities in King Harbor across the street from the power-plant off of Harbor Drive and Yacht Club Way...just let the parking attendent know you are there for the WSB release and he'll let you in the lot free.
I'll be at the OEX Demo Day in Sunset Beach working for Hobie so I can't make it...I would appreciate it if someone would take some photos for our CCA newsletter.

P40100212.JPG

IMG_44581.JPG

IMG_06551.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

Jim / Saba Slayer

Hobie_Team_Avitar.gif

CCA_White_SeaBass_Sticker_CMYK-2.jpg

Upvote 0

Ful-Rac

Team Sewer!
Aug 13, 2007
Buena Park
Name
Tony
Boat
Kayak
Hey everybody, after having done the white seabass release a bunch of times I have some insight in making this process go much more quickly and efficiently. It is extremely important to the survival of the seabass we will be releasing. Just so you know I don't speak for the program, I am commenting on this just as a fellow volunteer and observer. Although I know the program appreciates everyone's help...it seems in the past some of our volunteers have tried to make this a family fun day...which in my opinion isn't what we're there to do. A lot of money and work and time has been invested into getting to this point, and we want to give the seabass the best possible chance for survival.

My point is, please leave the kids at home, of course unless they are older kids that can follow directions, not screw around, work hard, and move quickly. If you intend to bring your wife or girlfriend, please make sure that they are there to work hard and not show up in heels.

For those of you that want to volunteer I thank you! The program needs your support and help. If you have never done this before I have a short video of what we are going to essentially do.

Reactions: bman440440
Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
We'll be starting at 10am on Saturday.

This was taken from an e-mail I received today from Hubbs...
"Based on tank volume and our best estimate of size, it looks like it will take 6 loads (3 for each of your tanks) to get all the fish out. We only have 1 tank available that has large enough drain fitting to accommodate these large fish. We will be renting a trailer to tow the tank up there."
and this..."Sat. March 12 around 10 AM Hubbs will arrive, depending on traffic. We will need some volunteers to help. Netting fish will happen a little later since we have to fill Hubbs tank with water. Due to size of fish will take 5 or more hours. So those who might want to come later is good. Same story, we net fish, bring to tank, when full drive down to F dock and release them. Hubbs is bringing a electric pump to help fill their tank, some nets, big green net, clickers, hose, etc. Weather looks good!"

I know Tony and Jorge are kinda down on having kids in the work area...But...please bring the kids and have them watch the process or help net the fish if they're old enough.
Kids of all ages love to see the fish released into the harbor. We need to include the little ones, as that is our fishing future...!
All are welcome...!

Thanks for your help...
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif

Jim / Saba Slayer

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
Come on down and take some photos Jerry...and write a report in your typically entertaining style...!

CCA and Promar donated some nets and a mini crowder to the WSB release on Saturday.

IMG_6927.jpg

Jim / Saba Slayer
CCA_White_SeaBass_Sticker_CMYK-2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
Nets will be supplied...
CCA and Promar donated some nets and a mini crowder to the WSB release on Saturday.

IMG_6927.jpg

Jim / Saba Slayer

Upvote 0

JFK

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
Cool program you guys have down there. I'm way too far away to help but wanted to still say thanks for your work.....a few of those fish make their way up here every year.

Upvote 0

Jerry Esten

Nov 21, 2014
Name
jerry Esten
Boat
kayak
I did indeed! A great turnout of volunteers! Wonderland project!
My photos are not better then the ones i see here. I will post a few. One has some good info. met a few old faces there, Wife was fascinated. The photo below answers lots of questions.
I have a video too. Now to figure out how to post it.
Thanks Jim.
wsb proj 9.jpg
a lot of people to thank!

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
Very nice Jerry...you can teach an old dog new tricks...LOL!

Thanks to all the volunteers that showed up yesterday
luxhello.gif
luxhello.gif
luxhello.gif
...that's a lot of BWE representation (way to go kayakers)
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
...our babies are on their way to grow-up and be caught in a few years...!
If Jerry or anyone has a few good photos for the next CCA CAL newsletter please
e-mail them to me.
We get a new batch of fish in April...I'll post up the delivery date when it's announced.
Thanks Again to all that participated...!

Upvote 0

Jerry Esten

Nov 21, 2014
Name
jerry Esten
Boat
kayak
View attachment 748823y
Count me in for April.
Thanks to Vimeo for the video. I just kept trying new things and viola! One worked.
So much of this computereze is intuitive . It's not like I grew up with it, but I'm good with an abacus!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jerry Esten

Nov 21, 2014
Name
jerry Esten
Boat
kayak
Count me in for April!
It was so good to see so many take part.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ful-Rac

Team Sewer!
Aug 13, 2007
Buena Park
Name
Tony
Boat
Kayak
Thanks to the fellow BWE and BD members that showed up today to support the seabass release. We had some trouble today getting started initially...due to several different factors....:eek: but we eventually got a rhythm going and started to work really well by the end of the day. Even some kids helped out today! :eek: actually they did a great job. Mom and dad were overseeing them working and made sure they were doing things right.

We were successful in releasing about 3000 WSB that were pretty nice size, at least 12" but many exceeding 12"s. They looked very healthy and strong, I'm pretty optimistic about their survival into catchable legal size seabass for not only us but future anglers.

8bf7c680967a9b61ad5ed366fdfd211c_zpsboettbiq.jpg

0ee604eaf9dd2908446057737128b7b6_zpsmzsnvciu.jpg

c598c42f4bb9dd6ddd78ce212ea81051_zpsmtcypwxz.jpg

368f25048f6c3a069f6c83c0789db386_zps5ehpnntj.jpg

9eb23a3488ca1eb672552e3c68e207a8_zpszihxqliw.jpg

7e33b9e42fed3316ebc24c95853f874a_zpsahqb9dob.jpg

45e85d07564a22efcc3886b0d5245771_zpsttjtertk.jpg

37f559aed1619bd43ccf192ba453ba20_zpsceb2fouu.jpg

7a69d204b204aaeb0de83a52d508b492_zps0d1gj8kp.jpg

Upvote 0