M5Boost

Almost A Member
Jan 20, 2014
Fallbrook
Name
Knotwerkin'
Boat
21 Proline, 52 Hatteras
Got to the squid spots around 8pm Friday night. We anchored up at 80ft and squid was easy to make with a light/net. We never moved, fished the same spot we made bait. First WSB came at 12:00 on the glow jig with j hook, and 3 squid pinned on. Maybe 35lb fish. Second came at 6:00am on the dropper loop with 3 or 4 squid pinned on. This guy was bigger, took line like nothing, every headshake was a huge thump in the rod. This one was maybe 40lb? You tell me, I'm not good with weight guesstimates. 2 wsb for 2 anglers. There were a couple bat rays in between, and we got bit by what I was guessing a nice halibut but missed it. This was our second try for WSB, paid off big time.

photo (Medium).JPG

photo2 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: hendo7
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    12#

Reactions: Nautical
    Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
    Feb 18, 2007
    O'side
    Name
    Simon
    Boat
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    Haha! Thanks guys, you were right. Bled and gutted they weighed 30lb and 36lb. So 35lb to 40lb fish, around there... Either way, I can't be happier. Got very nice meat in the freezer!

Best eating fish in so cal waters, nice job and enjoy!

Upvote 0

mrbigfish43

Licensed Captain
    Aug 8, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    1996 Grady White 268 Islander
    Got to the squid spots around 8pm Friday night. We anchored up at 80ft and squid was easy to make with a light/net. We never moved, fished the same spot we made bait. First WSB came at 12:00 on the glow jig with j hook, and 3 squid pinned on. Maybe 35lb fish. Second came at 6:00am on the dropper loop with 3 or 4 squid pinned on. This guy was bigger, took line like nothing, every headshake was a huge thump in the rod. This one was maybe 40lb? You tell me, I'm not good with weight guesstimates. 2 wsb for 2 anglers. There were a couple bat rays in between, and we got bit by what I was guessing a nice halibut but missed it. This was our second try for WSB, paid off big time.

View attachment 521228

View attachment 521229
    Beautiful WSB, Jesse. Jopaul is getting excited for next week.

Reactions: halekai
    Upvote 0

chuck123

Sep 21, 2009
    Sage/CA/USA
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    20'cc,gregor,fishbone
    What kind of light are you using to make your squid? I'm looking for one to mount on my boat, have checked with ray marine for nota , about the only thing I can find is a floating crappie light. I guess that would work but I would really like to find a more sea worthy fixture. Help me out here guys !

Upvote 0

M5Boost

Almost A Member
    Jan 20, 2014
    Fallbrook
    Name
    Knotwerkin'
    Boat
    21 Proline, 52 Hatteras
    What kind of light are you using to make your squid? I'm looking for one to mount on my boat, have checked with ray marine for nota , about the only thing I can find is a floating crappie light. I guess that would work but I would really like to find a more sea worthy fixture. Help me out here guys !

I'm using a cheap/simple light I got from craigslist. Has alligator clips on one end, just clip to your battery.

Upvote 0