steelfish

Baja Boy..
Oct 16, 2008
Calexico, Ca / BAJA,Mexico
Name
Alex
Boat
dos por favor
ok folks, I need to start saying that mostly I use all my reels on the line test recomend it from the company, but since Im fishing with braid lines (3-4 year now) and short topshot of the line test I pretend to fight the fish there had been some cases in which I lose the mono leader in the middel of a feeding frenzy and then I used straigh braid (50# most of them), normaly I set the drag with the modern manual system (hauling with my hand), but when a nice fish starts to get a lot of line I put some more drag to stop it, some times almost all buttoned down, I havent notice anything wrong with my reels after a figh like that, I think it may be because there werent reaal big fishes but I was wondering this: what problem can a reel get in a situation of all drag buttoned down and a real big fish pulling line? drags smoked? bended spool? broken internals? (which ones), etc..

how bad it can be and if that had happened to you how bad it was ($$$ wise)
(my case was with a saltisth 30th, big chunk of fish and a real big shark or a black giant bass I think, never knew, after some minutes of figh line broke)

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Land the fish first. Worry about the tackle later. That's the job you bought it to do.....

steelfish

Baja Boy..
Oct 16, 2008
Name
Alex
Boat
dos por favor
Thats one of the problems/worries I had lost 2-3 trophy fishes because of using 50# braid line, so I was thinking to use 65#pp and some mono leader, so in the case that I have to use straight PP line that fish will be on the boat, but dont want to have a reel in pieces and another lost fish.. see my point?
it is worth the risk or is it much better to stay on the line test recommended ?

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
You could boil it down to what you're fishing for or more importantly what is biting. Set up accordingly then maybe step it up a little. More expierience will help also. Common sense approach ! Results come with time.

JettyRat

Jun 26, 2008
Los Angeles
Name
Chris
Boat
None
Hey Alex,
The Saltist30th is supposed to have 20lbs of drag. That's pretty hefty. You may be able to squeeze a bit more out by upgrading to Carbontex greased drags. But really, are you able to turn the handle with that much drag?

I've heard about the AR bearing and/or prawl failing on a Trinidad/Torium but it hasn't happened to me and haven't seen it *knock on wood* I dont think i've heard of anything like that about a saltist.

I did come across a daiwa spool that popped under pressure on Alan Tani's site (saltiga 30t)

I personally fish 50lb braid on my baitcaster (curado 300D) with upgraded drags and a torium handle. Small setup but it kicks ass.

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat
18' starcraft "big knockers"
nothing.

steelfish

Baja Boy..
Oct 16, 2008
Name
Alex
Boat
dos por favor
If ya got a good well made reel ur ok, if ya got a cheapie it might fly apart
no many cheap reels here, saltist 30TH, saltist 20H, calcutta 400TE and planning to get in few weeks an avet jx or a baja special for those "monsters fish".

ooh and some spools of 500yds 65# braid line :finger:

thanks guys for the comments, I have a more clear idea now