wrong line test on a reel, how bad???

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by steelfish, Apr 22, 2010.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    ok folks, I need to start saying that mostly I use all my reels on the line test recomend it from the company, but since Im fishing with braid lines (3-4 year now) and short topshot of the line test I pretend to fight the fish there had been some cases in which I lose the mono leader in the middel of a feeding frenzy and then I used straigh braid (50# most of them), normaly I set the drag with the modern manual system (hauling with my hand), but when a nice fish starts to get a lot of line I put some more drag to stop it, some times almost all buttoned down, I havent notice anything wrong with my reels after a figh like that, I think it may be because there werent reaal big fishes but I was wondering this: what problem can a reel get in a situation of all drag buttoned down and a real big fish pulling line? drags smoked? bended spool? broken internals? (which ones), etc..

how bad it can be and if that had happened to you how bad it was ($$$ wise)
    (my case was with a saltisth 30th, big chunk of fish and a real big shark or a black giant bass I think, never knew, after some minutes of figh line broke)

2. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Not really a problem/worry with most of the over built reels of today.

3. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Land the fish first. Worry about the tackle later. That's the job you bought it to do.....

4. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Thats one of the problems/worries I had lost 2-3 trophy fishes because of using 50# braid line, so I was thinking to use 65#pp and some mono leader, so in the case that I have to use straight PP line that fish will be on the boat, but dont want to have a reel in pieces and another lost fish.. see my point?
    it is worth the risk or is it much better to stay on the line test recommended ?

5. Swarthy Dago

Swarthy Dago Coredor de las olas

Name:
    My name is Nobody
    Boat:
    n/a
    You could boil it down to what you're fishing for or more importantly what is biting. Set up accordingly then maybe step it up a little. More expierience will help also. Common sense approach ! Results come with time.

6. plainsman

plainsman plainsman

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    none
    If ya got a good well made reel ur ok, if ya got a cheapie it might fly apart

7. JettyRat

JettyRat Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    Hey Alex,
    The Saltist30th is supposed to have 20lbs of drag. That's pretty hefty. You may be able to squeeze a bit more out by upgrading to Carbontex greased drags. But really, are you able to turn the handle with that much drag?

I've heard about the AR bearing and/or prawl failing on a Trinidad/Torium but it hasn't happened to me and haven't seen it *knock on wood* I dont think i've heard of anything like that about a saltist.

I did come across a daiwa spool that popped under pressure on Alan Tani's site (saltiga 30t)

I personally fish 50lb braid on my baitcaster (curado 300D) with upgraded drags and a torium handle. Small setup but it kicks ass.

8. umoa

umoa silent

Name:
    jimmy
    Boat:
    18' starcraft "big knockers"
    nothing.

9. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    no many cheap reels here, saltist 30TH, saltist 20H, calcutta 400TE and planning to get in few weeks an avet jx or a baja special for those "monsters fish".

ooh and some spools of 500yds 65# braid line :finger:

thanks guys for the comments, I have a more clear idea now