Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I’ve built quite a few. Several for one friend, a few for others. My buddy in Mammoth financed a fishing charter operation that never really got off the ground down in Zihuat/Ixtapa and I built 16 rods for the boat. One or two for others, usually nice clean, simple, functional rods.

About 9-10 years ago, I guess, was when I realized I’d eventually be selling my stuff as I either lost interest or had to tap out. First rod
I built without my name on it was this 2x4. Here comes a link to my ad.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/l-b-ss-2x4-price-drop.732297/

Super Seeker blank from the Long Beach shop. I somehow got the impression that these are highly prized, and valuable. I reached out to a couple of guys for pricing advice and got these replies.

"I am by no means a “expert” on anything but I do enjoy collecting Long Beach Seeker Rods. What I’ve noticed is that none of the rail rods or rods shorter than 8ft sell quickly. You do have an awesome rod and it’s up to you on your price but I wouldn’t go less than $350-400."

"I paid just a hair under $400 for mine. That’s probably average, $350 would be the lowest I‘m guessing. The guides are out dated and the wrap has a name. Those are gonna be tough sells. It’s basically worth the value of the blank ($300) plus some bonus money because you can fish it today if you wanted. Most guys will have it rewrapped. That’s the honest truth. Hell of a rod and much more stout than today’s 2x4."

So, I'm asking for a little help and advice on this. How do I price it, what's it worth, and best place to sell it? Seems like there's a whole bunch of gear for sale. I mean a lot!

Thanks for taking the time

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Outdated guides ? Ask more than you'll take for it and hope for the best.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
I think the comment about the guides being outdated is an assessment of today’s trends. We’re seeing a lot of Alps guides in use, guys like me and manufacturers.

Like what’s hip, what’s the latest, Gucci. Tastes change with trends. A reel (other than a 50W) that’s not topless, or a rod with roller guides, “so last month.” :)

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    This is usually a slow time for the year , I’d give it time, don’t give it away.. I’ve seen you’re post you’re in the ball park, IMO.
    Maybe some better pics?

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    This is usually a slow time for the year , I’d give it time, don’t give it away.. I’ve seen you’re post you’re in the ball park, IMO.
    Maybe some better pics?
    Jake, thanks for that. When it warms up around here I plan on cleaning it up some and giving it a coat of finish just between the fore grip and the stripper guide. I’m in no hurry, not going to give it away.

Almost your turn, five weeks and a wake up, you’ll be traveling.
    Hope to make it down, catch the Accurate trip unloading on the 18th and see you guys off on the 19th.

Upvote 0

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    Jake, thanks for that. When it warms up around here I plan on cleaning it up some and giving it a coat of finish just between the fore grip and the stripper guide. I’m in no hurry, not going to give it away.

Almost your turn, five weeks and a wake up, you’ll be traveling.
    Hope to make it down, catch the Accurate trip unloading on the 18th and see you guys off on the 19th.
    Great!! Yeah can’t wait!!
    Hope them big bastards show up!!

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    Strip them clean, throw sum dust on them and advertise as LB Seeker blanks and double the price. Put guides on e-bay as "vintage" and make your money. Almost forgot...paint them blue!

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Thought about that, Mike. The blank, worth more than a finished rod. Crazy!

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    The problem with custom rods is that theyre custom to the person who wanted those colors. The blank is cool and the guides are okay. But to me, the wraps make it look super old.

In my opinion, the best bet is rewrapping it, or stripping it and selling the blank for 400 obo.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Hector, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your honesty.

The wraps? The metallic size A and the brown NCP size C
    was what I had at the time, leftover from previous projects. Same with the size D silver metallic I used as trim, fade to brown on the final wrap.

I don't see myself stripping it, that's a pain in the ass. We'll leave that up to the next owner.

Last edited:
    Reactions: STICK 'EM
    Upvote 0