Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Can I get the lowdown on getting ice at WP?

I know it is at Westport seafood down at the end past Colemans boats. The bait pen is on the water side, the salt ice has been brought out by forklift on the road. We also bought a box of frozen chovie when we paid for the ice. We went around the roundabout and parked out front like we were headed back towards town. Then, they raised a tote up to the boat and me shoveled like hell til the holds were full.

Am I missing anything here? Excuse me for being stupid but there is no blown ice available I assume unless you are commercial??

I am telling Jason I can't afford a tote. But in reality I wonder if the real answer is "I can't afford to not have a tote!"

How much does having your own tote help?

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Doesn’t help much. Once the ice starts melting it’s a real mofo. The forklift operation is as easy as it gets otherwise you are hand trucking the ice down the dock or doing the bucket brigade.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
I think having your own tote helps a ton. If you’re a in line, sometimes they can have your tote being filled while 2 other boats are shoveling. Then, when your tote is full, they set it in your truck and off you go.

sgwill122

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Can I get the lowdown on getting ice at WP?

I know it is at Westport seafood down at the end past Colemans boats. The bait pen is on the water side, the salt ice has been brought out by forklift on the road. We also bought a box of frozen chovie when we paid for the ice. We went around the roundabout and parked out front like we were headed back towards town. Then, they raised a tote up to the boat and me shoveled like hell til the holds were full.

Am I missing anything here? Excuse me for being stupid but there is no blown ice available I assume unless you are commercial??

I am telling Jason I can't afford a tote. But in reality I wonder if the real answer is "I can't afford to not have a tote!"

How much does having your own tote help?

Seems like you have all the info. I have done the handcart/ bucket brigade down the dock and much prefer loading the boat on the trailer even if it means waiting in line. 1/2 to 3/4 of the tote goes on the boat the rest goes in coolers that stay in the trucks for guys to take home fish.

Walker Inc.

Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
You can have ice blown in at ocean gold between float 6 and 8, sometimes if somebody is out there. It’s not reliable, and the price varies, so basically it works sometimes but don’t plan on it. Ilwaco blows it in at fisherman’s landing, until like 6pm if I remember correctly.

You have the Westport seafoods deal dialed. Don’t be late on a nice Saturday. It gets backed up quickly

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
You have the Westport seafoods deal dialed. Don’t be late on a nice Saturday. It gets backed up quickly
get there early and don't forget to give the BD 6 pack capt's a :finger: when they cut to the front of the line & fill their coolers while you wait for the next tote!:-)

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Chris...and for those others...

Here's the way it works for me.

Situation 1)
Tote in the back of the truck and towing the boat boat behind me in line for ice.

Forklift pulls up...half the tote gets scooped into the boat...the other half goes into the tote in the back of the truck.

When done fishing fish get offloaded and the extra ice from the tote is used for the fish I take home and to scoop into my buddies coolers.

100% usage of what I paid for.

Situation 2)
Boat is on the water I need to ice down. Ready for tuna.

Tote is in the back of the truck...forklifted and filled and on my way. No waiting line for a tote to be brought out and me to find a way to put 800lbs of ice into 6 coolers.

Proceed to docks to transfer and leave enough in the tote for later.
100% usage of what I paid for.

Situation 3)
Neah bay...boat already in the water. Fill tote with ice. Use all weekend to put on boat and coolers. No buying indivisible bags all weekend long and pay 1/2 the price.

100% usage of what I paid for at a price better than buying overpriced bagged ice from a dude in a pick up truck in a parking lot.

Whatever works best for you works. I went without a tote for a while but those are the times it works for me. I hated paying for a full tote and using about 1/2 to maybe 3/4 of it.

And for the price I found these at...it pencils. If I was paying full retail for a tote I may have passed and just dealt with it.

Reactions: mrfish11

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Thanks guys,

I needed the info because I almost always have the camper on the back, so if I went this route it would be due to crew having a truck to help out with.

I guess I will wait in line this year, it doesn't seem terrible

Last edited:

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Everyone has their own routine. Tote makes icing and bringing fish home so easy. Thier are guys that use handtrucks to carts for icing a boat on the dock and some have it blown in. If you get it shot in be ready for a mess unless you have a good sized hold to take the ice. It’s also harder on your boat to be banged around piling that’s coated in creosote. They can’t just shut off the chute when you re full.

Reactions: oldschool 1