Quan

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Defiance Admiral 220 EX "Hawksbeard"
What's up, y'all. Long time, no see! I've been busy losing 100 lbs and opening a business so I haven't been on the forums in a long time...

Anyway, we always get our white meat in May out of MA3/4 but this year, but it doesn't look like the Rez's will ever open up. Gonna give WP a shot but have no fuckin' clue where to start. Any advice for Hali, Lings, and Black Rockfish out of WP?

I'm well versed in crossing the bar as I do salmon and tuna out of WP. I've even tried my luck at bottomfish on the many times we've been skunked on Tuna. Apparently all of my SJI and MA3/4 (and 5!) knowledge does me no good because the only bottomfish I've ever caught was a single quillback. 🙄

Anyway, any advice, what to look for, point in the right direction, or even CORDS 😳 (over PM, of course... 😉) would be greatly appreciated. I know it's asking a lot and I'll probably get flamed but I feel like I've put in my time around here, and well, fuck it- it's worth a shot...

I'm well aware of the rules here so... here's some fish and wife pics to help pay the toll...

IMG_20190511_163436.jpg

IMG_20190509_140522.jpg

IMG_20190509_171233.jpg

IMG_20190503_154356.jpg

Last edited:

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    Sekiu and Neah Bay have been fishing well. Way closer to you. Stay in Sekiu, fish the normal spots from there. 20 mile run to Tatoosh. You know the rest of the way.

Reactions: Quan and Baby J
    Upvote 0

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
    Bellingham, WA
    Name
    Quan
    Boat
    North..Moclips to Pt Grenville.
    Thanks, Siv. At least gives me somewhere to start!
    Sekiu and Neah Bay have been fishing well. Way closer to you. Stay in Sekiu, fish the normal spots from there. 20 mile run to Tatoosh. You know the rest of the way.
    Yeah, we considered that hard and long and we've done it before but figured we'd try something new. Is Van Riper's still around?

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    Yep Van Rippers is still around as we tried to stay with them last week. They are a crap shoot for getting camping or dock as you just have to show up and see what is available as their system seems to be some kind of bizarre mixture of secret handshake/first come first serve.

Reactions: Karabee and Quan
    Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Westport is similar to SWC for hali, there are one or two spots most the fleet ends up at. Crappy part of Westport is there is no protected water to fish if the weather is crap and inshore ling opportunities are 15-20 miles North and gets pretty picked over late in the season. Not sure of your wife's appetite for rough water but I would stick to Sekiu if it is a family trip.

Reactions: Quan and Karabee
    Karabee
    Karabee
    I chum the waters as good as the next unfortunately, but have learned to fine tune the art of over dosing Dramamine so I can make sure we get our limits. Fishing Westport for bottom fish will be a first and I gotta woman-up this adventure. Promise pics to come if we land them!
    Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    This guy provided pics of his wife and not one person is going to pm him the super secret wp halibut spots? Like said above, just a couple spots that are typically fished like lapush.

Reactions: Quan and Karabee
    Karabee
    Karabee
    There is hope yet! The brotherhood came through for us again. It's on!!!! I'm coming for ya fish!
    Reactions: Quan
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
    Bellingham, WA
    Name
    Quan
    Boat
    Westport is similar to SWC for hali, there are one or two spots most the fleet ends up at. Crappy part of Westport is there is no protected water to fish if the weather is crap and inshore ling opportunities are 15-20 miles North and gets pretty picked over late in the season. Not sure of your wife's appetite for rough water but I would stick to Sekiu if it is a family trip.
    Wife is a trooper. Comes on all of our offshore trips and slays better than most men!
    This guy provided pics of his wife and not one person is going to pm him the super secret wp halibut spots? Like said above, just a couple spots that are typically fished like lapush.
    Actually some of the old salty dogs connected with me and we are going to buddy boat out. I knew I could count on you guys! I'll make sure to post a report. 😁

Last edited:
    Reactions: TooManyHobbies

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Grays canyon...
    56 squared for halibut.
    about 5 miles north at 01 for lings... you'll see the boats.
    black rockfish at Copalis rock.

Upvote 0

TwoTapPat

Crank the handle Randle
  • May 22, 2013
    some where on the water
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    High on the Goat
    Damn I thought I was the only one that knew about the super secret spot. There goes the fishing.

Reactions: Cohoho
    Upvote 0

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
    Bellingham, WA
    Name
    Quan
    Boat
    Got 'em, coach. Many thanks to the brothahood, especially @TooManyHobbies who helped us out and even buddy boated with us! Got our Hali early and tried to grind out the rest but had trouble weeding through the hali. Headed back with Hali limits (including this double by the wife!) and few deepwater lings and rockfish. Finally got to learn WP Bottomfish which was a huge win in my book.

Cheers! 🍻

PXL_20210617_164638444.jpg

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
    Seattle
    Name
    "Mulligan"
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    Got 'em, coach. Many thanks to the brothahood, especially @TooManyHobbies who helped us out and even buddy boated with us! Got our Hali early and tried to grind out the rest but had trouble weeding through the hali. Headed back with Hali limits (including this double by the wife!) and few deepwater lings and rockfish. Finally got to learn WP Bottomfish which was a huge win in my book.

Cheers! 🍻

View attachment 1290797
    Right on!

Upvote 0