Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good evening all,

Hope everyone is staying safe and sane during these crazy times. Perhaps we at Bob Sands Tackle have the answer to your stay at home blues.. REAPER BLANKS NOW BACK IN STOCK AND A FEW ARE READY TO SELL. No wait list. We have finally filled in all of our show and pre-show orders so the rest are available. LIMITED QUANTITIES.

Why not wrap or have custom wrapped the hottest selling blank on the market. When I say hot I mean blistering hot.. The reviews of folks who have cast this stick are starting to show up and Maaaan the rave reviews are amazing.. This is a Jig stick for all levels of casters.. Match it to your favorite jig casting reel and off you go..

CURBSIDE PICKUPS ONLY AS LONG AS THE CITY AND STATE ALLOW IT.. OR, YOU CAN PURCHASE YOUR BLANK AT SHOW PRICING AND PICKUP ONCE THE STAY AT HOME ORDERS ARE LIFTED.. PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR DETAILS.

BOB SANDS TACKLE just received a few more of those Amazing Reaper blanks and we are selling them at F.H. Show pricing...

Availability will be on a first come first served basis as these will go fast.. Especially at show pricing..

Bob Sands tackle also has almost the entire line up of United Composites Rods and Blanks at show pricing as well. .. Including the entire RGP and GP line up.

If you are interested in purchasing, please send me a PM with your full name, phone number and item you wish to purchase..

This sale will end soon so if you are thinking about a new rod or blank, please get your order in now..

BE READY FOR THE SEASON TO START WITH A NEW ROD AT SALE PRICING.. HOPEFULLY, THIS CURRENT VIRUS SITUATION WILL BE LIFTED SOON.. WHAT A GREAT WAY TO GET OVER THE STAY AT HOME BLUES.

HAVE A GREAT SEASON.

JAMIE

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
AND THE SALE CONTINUES.. CHECK OUT OUR BOOTS, JIGS, RODS, REELS AND SO MUCH MORE ON SALE.. BRING YOUR REELS IN FOR SPECTRA WINDING.. HOPE TO SEE YOU AT THE SHOP.

JAMIE

Reactions: shooter21
Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Hi Shane,

Just got home from the shop... Yes, we are open Monday thru Saturday 9AM thru 5 PM.. As of now we cannot allow folks into the shop.. We do have a table set up at the front door that you can look at stuff you might be interested in or pull on rods/reels you might be interested in... We have our show sales going on on many items... I am at the store on Saturdays from 10 AM thru 2:30 PM when I am in town...
Hope all is well with You and Yours.. Give me a call if you need anything..

Jamie

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Hi Shane,

Just got home from the shop... Yes, we are open Monday thru Saturday 9AM thru 5 PM.. As of now we cannot allow folks into the shop.. We do have a table set up at the front door that you can look at stuff you might be interested in or pull on rods/reels you might be interested in... We have our show sales going on on many items... I am at the store on Saturdays from 10 AM thru 2:30 PM when I am in town...
Hope all is well with You and Yours.. Give me a call if you need anything..

Jamie
Jamie,
What does the factory reaper 900 look like?
Regards
Scott

Reactions: Bob Sands
Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Jamie,
What does the factory reaper 900 look like?
Regards
Scott

Hi Scott,

Great to hear from you.. The rod will be wrapped Black on black with a few thin grey lines for a very slight and elegant accent.. The Reel area and grips are Black Butt Chord with a Turks head. The guides are the New Fuji SIC guides. Should be an awesome looking Jig Rod that is amazingly functional... 100% of the folks I have sold these Reaper Blanks to have Raved about the rod after it was wrapped...

As I note, slow down the cast as the casting recoil is amazing..You can also drive the cast as hard as you want but the majority of folks just need a reasonable Pendular cast to launch their artificial lures. If you have any other questions you are welcome to send me a PM with your Phone number and I will call you back.. .. Have a great season.

Respectfully,

Jamie

Upvote 0

shooter21

Aug 30, 2014
Bakersfield
Name
Shane
Boat
Someday
Thanks Jamie you know ill be down there as soon as the doors open, nothing better than walking around your shop that has everything I need. Im hoping to get out with these new GP's and kill some fish.

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
I look forward to seeing you at the Shop Shane... No doubt, we need pictures of these GP rods in action... By the way, the private boats are kicking ass right now on B.F. and Y.F. Tuna along with Yellowtail... As if you were not Jonsin enough to go fishing.. LOL.. Talk soon.

Jamie

Reactions: shooter21
Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
I look forward to seeing you at the Shop Shane... No doubt, we need pictures of these GP rods in action... By the way, the private boats are kicking ass right now on B.F. and Y.F. Tuna along with Yellowtail... As if you were not Jonsin enough to go fishing.. LOL.. Talk soon.

Jamie
Thinking of a fathom 25nld2 on it.
thoughts?
Scott

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Hi Scott,

Great question and as you know my answer will not be short as I am going to try and give my 2 cents for not only yourself but so many others who are asking the same question. No tweet size responses for this guy but You already knew that LOL.

Reel choices, like so many things involving jig slinging depends on your targeted species along with your own, personal, tactile feel of the entire rig. Old school jig guys will tell you only cast surface iron or surface artificial lures with a star drag..
I do not agree with that blanket statement as there is more that goes into jig slinging than just the choice of star vs. lever and single vs 2 speed.. In my opinion, for those intending to make more than a few casts using surface artificial lures, the comfort of the rig in the individual angler's hands is paramount and the number one issue.. If your thumb is stretched too far while controlling the spin of the spool, if the balance of the rig is off, or your own tactile feel is not right then the chances of You enjoying the entire jig slinging experience is likely to be demeaned..

Heck, I have also found that the visual aspect of a reel can have some influence on the choice... There is a certain value for some when they feel their rig looks amazing, stealthy cool or whatever the term... The mental game, as it applies to fishing, is real so never feel awkward or silly if part of the reason you choose a reel is because it looks cool.. As long as it feels cool in the hands as well.

I teach the Zen of fishing which means, to the best of our ability, we control and try to remove the negative portions of our fishing experiences including adding the amazing feeling that comes with finding the perfect rig for the operation.. The rig that is first out of the racks and the last to be put back can have a cost associated with it.. The rig that if you lose it you will cry.. metaphorically of course..or not. The mental portion of the feel of the rig is, in my opinion, the most critical issue when choosing an expensive rig like these. Without sounding like a salesman.. Heaven forbid. I know of no client that has ever regretted spending the extra monies on a perfect rig when they are casting and fighting fish.. Maybe they regret it should their spouses get angry but once they are fishing that rig, their thoughts are about other things.. At least until they get home... Hopefully, that is not an issue with most of you.

When folks ask me what reel to match with any top water artificial rod or most any non rail type rod the first thing I look at is hand size... The answer will give me a starting point to figure out how any reel diameter, matched with the diameter of the rod and reel attachment point, marries to the angler's hand..

The second thing I look at is how the angler's thumb extends onto the spool while controlling the free spin and prevention of backlash. I will ask how previous rigs felt should the angler have experience with other Jig slinging set ups.. Some folks use the side of the reel's spool to control the spin.. Other's use various sides of the top of the spool thus controlling the pressure directly on the line as it lays on the spool. When I see how the thumb, in it's entirety lays across the back end of the spool, I can recommend a size of reel.. For those with normal or smaller hand sizes I might have them look at slightly lower profile reels.. Both open face and bait caster styles. Example, my glove size is a medium/large. The way I cast a conventional forces my thumb to be too close to some of today's Manufacturer's open face star drag levers.. If the reel on the rod does not match to where my thumb webbing stretches across the reel there is a chance I will accidentally, during the cast, throw that lever into gear.. I had that issue with Sly's Daiwa 35 which is an amazing reel but not good for me. Bigger hands and or thumb placement allow more reel choices but this thumb issue reveals itself to be true with so many customers. Just no one ever explained why to them..

The Third thing I ask is the targeted species and size the angler is willing to target.. Most folks are not willing to cast a 9 foot surface iron rod at big tuna.. I am not one of those guys as bigger is always better. I do understand the client has to be comfortable with the potential of fighting a jumbo for a longer than normal period of time before they pick up a jig rod with 100+ pound tuna showing up on the fish finder or jumping out of the water. I do show any client,, who has time certain techniques I find advantageous to fighting bigger fish with a single or two speed reel, on any sized rod. It is still the decision of the individual angler just how big they are willing to go on targeted species.

Of course it is always good to know what price range the angler is considering and is comfortable with.. The answer does not always match to the result as certain reels just feel superior in the hands.. Often times these tend to be more expensive so now the answer is how much is the angler willing to spend in order to get the prefect reel.. Perfect for them that is as there is no universally perfect feeling reel. High Costs do not always result in the perfect reel but when it does the justification for the added cost becomes an issue. In my opinion, when choosing a jig rig that will be with you for many many years and many many casts, the cost becomes less important the more you throw jigs.. For some of us, we rarely fish live bait anymore so the need to have a rig I can throw all day for weeks at a time is mandatory...

I then ask about the platform the angler is going to be on.. Smaller private boats such as center consoles or boats under 30 feet can handle smaller diameter reels for a variety of reasons... Often times, when I show folks how to flat rod a long rod from a private boat fighting a fish, while the person on the throttles bumps the boat forward, almost never fishing up and down, the customers are usually shocked at how much pressure they can put on the fish. Efficient pressure with little or no discomfort to their bodies and joints.. Big fish on smaller private boats are easier to land than on big sport-fishing platforms due to the ability to easily manuever the boat to keep angle on the fish and the angler in the best position to fight the fish especially using the flat rod technique.

It only takes a minute or two to get this information from the client.. At that point I can recommend a starting sized diameter reel. We can then try a few manufacturer's offerings. It is up to the client to note their own tactile feel of various components of the reel.. One of the most interesting is how the side plates are machined.. In a 2 speed reel, The Great Penn Fathom series uses a somewhat flatter side plate design with slightly sharper edges a the top with less curvature than say a Shimano Talica. The gear box design also needs to be assessed as to how it affects your feel. When I ask the client what reel feels better to them I most always get a definitive response. Again 2 similar clients may give a different answer as there is no one answer that is correct. Each manufacturer uses a somewhat different approach to designing their reels. Various shapes of side plate design, knob/crank arm design, bearings and free spool, gearing, etc. so finding the one the fits your style is very important as it applies to hand/thumb or finger comfort while casting.

We then get into the style of knob and angle of the knob to see what feels best thru the entire range of motion.. Some folks really like the round knobs and so many love the more traditional knobs. Again, personal decision, no right or wrong but it does go into the evaluation.

So the question of the Fathom 25 NLD 2 matching to the Reaper, in my opinion, is absolutely a reasonable pairing... I love the diameter and line capacity of the reel.. Not to mention the great price value.. As long as the rig feels great in your hands. If you came to the shop I would ask if the extended gear box and feel of your spool control thumb feels right.. If you are going to use the rail to fight the fish I would set you up on our mock rail and ask if your non crank hand feels good when cupping the side plate. If so, the 25N is a solid option for the task at hand and maaan, what a great value. I personally would not be at all concerned that it is not a star drag.

So many reel choices and so little time.. So far I have seen the U.C. Reaper matched to the 25N, 30 and 40 Fathom 2 speeds, Saltiga 35, other Daiwa Saltist single speed reels, Trinidad 20 and 30, Tranx 500, Accurate Tern 400, 500 as well as the 400, 500 and 600 Accurate Valiant series.. I have seen the Reaper matched with a Daiwa Lexa 400 and Shimano 400 Tranx. And I have seen this rod matched with various other sized Talica's and Trinidads as well as all sizes of Penn Torque 2 speed reels. Additionally, I have seen most sizes of the Avet Raptor series. All great choices as it applied to the individual angler. As a note, never be afraid to mix and match reels to rods, head to the casting pond, park, lake or ocean and start tossing.. Each person loved their pairings as they had different tactile feeling and mental ideas of what they needed.

I am not sure why our sport may be the only one where the majority of folks do not practice, test rigs for themselves, etc. except when they get on the boat.. Again, the Zen of fishing, in my world, says, I already know, based on practice and experience, what rigs I am matching before I get on the boat.. Unless of course I am testing out various setups...

For many, the smaller diameter of the 400 sized reels and lower profile reels match great with 40 pound string for finned critters that do not need as much line capacity such as any size Yellowtail, Calico Bass, Tuna under about 60 pounds or White Seabass. However, for those casting thru 70 - 100 Yds of Monofilament to bigger tuna, these sized reels many not be my recommendation. For those casting thru all Spectra with very short casting leaders, then clearly you will get a fair amount more line capacity.. Now the issue comes down to crank-ability and fish fighting, line gathering, technique.

For me personally, when we are getting into these expensive rigs, I would feel awful if my customer ended up with a garage puppy... I know I spend a great deal of time with clients finding just that right mix and match.. However, I also know, that many new comers or even those with some experience, may end up changing reels as they develop or advance their own knowledge/experience base or simply want to try the latest and greatest shiny new object.. It is the nature of fishing and most any other sport or pastime..My job is to put them on the best path to reach their fishing goals..

Most jig casters will relate that getting the jig in the zone with the most amount of control, jig placement, ease and comfort is the number one issue. Once hooked up we will deal with the fight as it plays out.. Sometimes, on the long rods and casting reels, we may just get our asses handed to us but maaaaan, there is nothing like casting to a targeted boil or foamer, landing that artificial right where you want it and seeing as well as feeling the hook up.. We will deal with the consequences of our reel and line choices a few seconds later.. Heck, the venerable Newell series of reels and upgrades would cast amazingly well but we all remember the horrible noises, breakdowns and lousy cranking those reels had. Yet, for others, these are still the weapons of choice.

None the less, for many of us jig slinging becomes an addiction. Most everyone will tell you they will never forget their first jig hookup or their first big fish hook up on a surface artificial lure...But that is true of most any style of hooking and landing a fish.. However, Jig fishing can easily become a sickness.. If so, feed that addiction.

Hope this Novel helps.. Talk soon.

Jamie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
Good evening Jaime
Just wanted to say thank you to you guys over at Bob Sands fishing Tackle for making my shopping experience so Convenient during these times , you guys ROCK !

Hopefully I’ll be able to get out and put my new rods to use soon
Thank you
John

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
[AT
04B4963C-4A11-443D-84D0-910BF5EDC55F.jpeg

Upvote 0

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
  • Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat
    passenger again
    Hi Scott,

Great question and as you know my answer will not be short as I am going to try and give my 2 cents for not only yourself but so many others who are asking the same question. No tweet size responses for this guy but You already knew that LOL.

Reel choices, like so many things involving jig slinging depends on your targeted species along with your own, personal, tactile feel of the entire rig. Old school jig guys will tell you only cast surface iron or surface artificial lures with a star drag..
    I do not agree with that blanket statement as there is more that goes into jig slinging than just the choice of star vs. lever and single vs 2 speed.. In my opinion, for those intending to make more than a few casts using surface artificial lures, the comfort of the rig in the individual angler's hands is paramount and the number one issue.. If your thumb is stretched too far while controlling the spin of the spool, if the balance of the rig is off, or your own tactile feel is not right then the chances of You enjoying the entire jig slinging experience is likely to be demeaned..

I teach the Zen of fishing which means, to the best of our ability, we control and try to remove the negative portions of our fishing experiences including adding the amazing feeling that comes with finding the perfect rig for the operation.. The rig that is first out of the racks and the last to be put back can have a cost associated with it.. The rig that if you lose it you will cry.. metaphorically of course..or not. The mental portion of the feel of the rig is, in my opinion, the most critical issue when choosing an expensive rig like these. Without sounding like a salesman.. Heaven forbid. I know of no client that has ever regretted spending the extra monies on a perfect rig when they are casting and fighting fish.. Maybe they regret it should their spouses get angry but once they are fishing that rig, their thoughts are about other things.. At least until they get home... Hopefully, that is not an issue with most of you.

When folks ask me what reel to match with any top water artificial rod or most any non rail type rod the first thing I look at is hand size... The answer will give me a starting point to figure out how any reel diameter, matched with the diameter of the rod and reel attachment point, marries to the angler's hand..

The second thing I look at is how the angler's thumb extends onto the spool while controlling the free spin and prevention of backlash. I will ask how previous rigs felt should the angler have experience with other Jig slinging set ups.. Some folks use the side of the reel's spool to control the spin.. Other's use various sides of the top of the spool thus controlling the pressure directly on the line as it lays on the spool. When I see how the thumb, in it's entirety lays across the back end of the spool, I can recommend a size of reel.. For those with normal or smaller hand sizes I might have them look at slightly lower profile reels.. Both open face and bait caster styles. Example, my glove size is a medium/large. The way I cast a conventional forces my thumb to be too close to some of today's Manufacturer's open face star drag levers.. If the reel on the rod does not match to where my thumb webbing stretches across the reel there is a chance I will accidentally, during the cast, throw that lever into gear.. I had that issue with Sly's Daiwa 35 which is an amazing reel but not good for me. Bigger hands and or thumb placement allow more reel choices but this thumb issue reveals itself to be true with so many customers. Just no one ever explained why to them..

The Third thing I ask is the targeted species and size the angler is willing to target.. Most folks are not willing to cast a 9 foot surface iron rod at big tuna.. I am not one of those guys as bigger is always better. I do understand the client has to be comfortable with the potential of fighting a jumbo for a longer than normal period of time before they pick up a jig rod with 100+ pound tuna showing up on the fish finder or jumping out of the water. I do show any client,, who has time certain techniques I find advantageous to fighting bigger fish with a single or two speed reel, on any sized rod. It is still the decision of the individual angler just how big they are willing to go on targeted species.

Of course it is always good to know what price range the angler is considering and is comfortable with.. The answer does not always match to the result as certain reels just feel superior in the hands.. Often times these tend to be more expensive so now the answer is how much is the angler willing to spend in order to get the prefect reel.. Perfect for them that is as there is no universally perfect feeling reel. High Costs do not always result in the perfect reel but when it does the justification for the added cost becomes an issue. In my opinion, when choosing a jig rig that will be with you for many many years and many many casts, the cost becomes less important the more you throw jigs.. For some of us, we rarely fish live bait anymore so the need to have a rig I can throw all day for weeks at a time is mandatory...

I then ask about the platform the angler is going to be on.. Smaller private boats such as center consoles or boats under 30 feet can handle smaller diameter reels for a variety of reasons... Often times, when I show folks how to flat rod a long rod from a private boat fighting a fish, while the person on the throttles bumps the boat forward, almost never fishing up and down, the customers are usually shocked at how much pressure they can put on the fish. Efficient pressure with little or no discomfort to their bodies and joints.. Big fish on smaller private boats are easier to land than on big sport-fishing platforms due to the ability to easily manuever the boat to keep angle on the fish and the angler in the best position to fight the fish especially using the flat rod technique.

It only takes a minute or two to get this information from the client.. At that point I can recommend a starting sized diameter reel. We can then try a few manufacturer's offerings. It is up to the client to note their own tactile feel of various components of the reel.. One of the most interesting is how the side plates are machined.. In a 2 speed reel, The Great Penn Fathom series uses a somewhat flatter side plate design with slightly sharper edges a the top with less curvature than say a Shimano Talica. The gear box design also needs to be assessed as to how it affects your feel. When I ask the client what reel feels better to them I most always get a definitive response. Again 2 similar clients may give a different answer as there is no one answer that is correct. Each manufacturer uses a somewhat different approach to designing their reels. Various shapes of side plate design, knob/crank arm design, bearings and free spool, gearing, etc. so finding the one the fits your style is very important as it applies to hand/thumb or finger comfort while casting.

We then get into the style of knob and angle of the knob to see what feels best thru the entire range of motion.. Some folks really like the round knobs and so many love the more traditional knobs. Again, personal decision, no right or wrong but it does go into the evaluation.

So the question of the Fathom 25 NLD 2 matching to the Reaper, in my opinion, is absolutely a reasonable pairing... I love the diameter and line capacity of the reel.. Not to mention the great price value.. As long as the rig feels great in your hands. If you came to the shop I would ask if the extended gear box and feel of your spool control thumb feels right.. If you are going to use the rail to fight the fish I would set you up on our mock rail and ask if your non crank hand feels good when cupping the side plate. If so, the 25N is a solid option for the task at hand and maaan, what a great value. I personally would not be at all concerned that it is not a star drag.

So many reel choices and so little time.. So far I have seen the U.C. Reaper matched to the 25N, 30 and 40 Fathom 2 speeds, Saltiga 35, Trinidad 20 and 30, Tranx 500, Accurate Tern 400, 500 as well as the 400, 500 and 600 Accurate Valiant series.. I have seen the Reaper matched with a Daiwa Lexa 400 and Shimano 400 Tranx. And I have seen this rod matched with various other sized Talica's and Trinidads as well as all sizes of Penn Torque 2 speed reels. Additionally, I have seen most sizes of the Avet Raptor series. All great choices as it applied to the individual angler. As a note, never be afraid to mix and match reels to rods, head to the casting pond, park, lake or ocean and start tossing.. Each person loved their pairings as they had different tactile feeling and mental ideas of what they needed.

I am not sure why our sport may be the only one where the majority of folks do not practice, test rigs for themselves, etc. except when they get on the boat.. Again, the Zen of fishing, in my world, says, I already know, based on practice and experience, what rigs I am matching before I get on the boat.. Unless of course I am testing out various setups...

For many, the smaller diameter of the 400 sized reels and lower profile reels match great with 40 pound string for finned critters that do not need as much line capacity such as any size Yellowtail, Calico Bass, Tuna under about 60 pounds or White Seabass. However, for those casting thru 70 - 100 Yds of Monofilament to bigger tuna, these sized reels many not be my recommendation. For those casting thru all Spectra with very short casting leaders, then clearly you will get a fair amount more line capacity.. Now the issue comes down to crank-ability and fish fighting, line gathering, technique.

For me personally, when we are getting into these expensive rigs, I would feel awful if my customer ended up with a garage puppy... I know I spend a great deal of time with clients finding just that right mix and match.. However, I also know, that many new comers or even those with some experience, may end up changing reels as they develop or advance their own knowledge/experience base or simply want to try the latest and greatest shiny new object.. It is the nature of fishing and most any other sport or pastime..My job is to put them on the best path to reach their fishing goals..

Most jig casters will relate that getting the jig in the zone with the most amount of control, jig placement, ease and comfort is the number one issue. Once hooked up we will deal with the fight as it plays out.. Sometimes, on the long rods and casting reels, we may just get our asses handed to us but maaaaan, there is nothing like casting to a targeted boil or foamer, landing that artificial right where you want it and seeing as well as feeling the hook up.. We will deal with the consequences of our reel and line choices a few seconds later.. Heck, the venerable Newell series of reels and upgrades would cast amazingly well but we all remember the horrible noises, breakdowns and lousy cranking those reels had. Yet, for others, these are still the weapons of choice.

None the less, for many of us jig slinging becomes an addiction. Most everyone will tell you they will never forget their first jig hookup or their first big fish hook up on a surface artificial lure...But that is true of most any style of hooking and landing a fish.. However, Jig fishing can easily become a sickness.. If so, feed that addiction.

Hope this Novel helps.. Talk soon.

Jamie
    Jamie,
    Great read... I'm interest in hearing more in the flat rod technique , oh and this was a great read.

Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    8.5 BH Nano/TP 14K is still my #1 but I've been fooling around with different reel choices for my traditional jig stick . . . leading contenders like Trinidad 20A, Tranx 500, and Avet JX. Then, just for fun, I started pulling out some of my old reels, including a Diawa Sealine 40HV. Damm, that old/cheap reel really holds its own. To your point, Jamie, I now realize that part of the reason I like the Diawa is that it sits a bit higher, which seems to match my XL hands.

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    Quite the quiver. What rods with what reels? I see they are all Penn. can’t quite make em out.
    regards
    Scott
    GP
    mega, monster , predator & Terminator

Im having Reaper , GP Tilefish Jr , 80HP buiit

invictus
    in the bags
    surface iron.com rod (Sic)
    gusa classic 79F
    penn torque
    15XNld2, 25n , 30, 40nld2, penn visx 50

Last edited: