Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Theoretically a tribal member could probably get away with shooting a pinniped who was threatening his fishing.. not saying that is for sure what is happening but seems likely.
You ARE allowed to defend yourself if these critters attack. Maybe they got in the wrong persons face annd suffered the consequences?

If it comes to them or me.....well.....I will post a report.

It must be neccessary to report the justifiable killings of marine mammals, right?

Upvote 0

LJB

Down Fur-Lined Avenue
Jan 18, 2013
Tacoma
Name
ain't no cunthead
Boat
68 Bellboy
My friend gets his Elk most every year on his Cranberry Bog,, its perfectly legal because of the damage,, In don't see any reason on the rez or bay they would get in trouble at all..

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

Socket985

Almost A Member
Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
That’s a tough one.... We can’t live in a lawless society where people do what they want.... Anyone can justify breaking the law because of stupid regulations and politicians, but at the end of the day we can’t all just go do what we want... Poaching a sea lion is no different than deciding hunting seasons don’t matter and poaching an elk....

I'll be the devils advocate here. Native tribes have hunted and continue to hunt these creatures in other states for generations. I bet it's happening here - somewhere at some time. Could it be them? I hope so. They get it, and they should snub the state/feds just as we've done with Marijuana. Gov stands up to other gov all the time.

I'm not sure it's Illegal activities as they've never released or implied who it might be. We always have suspects in this surveillance state. How can they not know something?

Here's what irritates me, wasn't it not to long ago, we got partially blamed for the mysterious deaths of sea lions on the Columbia, which turned out to be 100 percent false, with no apology? I think they overheated or something?

why are we always the bad guy? I have zero faith in the news.

Reactions: One_Leg and jer dog
Upvote 0

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Goldendale
Name
George
Boat
Duckworth Advantage
Turn who in? I also wouldn’t turn in a parent for spanking their child. Would you turn your kid in for shooting a robin or sparrow with his new BB gun? They are federally protected too.

This is a victimless crime.

It is not against the law for a parent to spank their child in the state of Washington, but it is against the law to poach here.

RCW 9A.16.100
Use of force on children—Policy—Actions presumed unreasonable.

It is the policy of this state to protect children from assault and abuse and to encourage parents, teachers, and their authorized agents to use methods of correction and restraint of children that are not dangerous to the children. However, the physical discipline of a child is not unlawful when it is reasonable and moderate and is inflicted by a parent, teacher, or guardian for purposes of restraining or correcting the child. Any use of force on a child by any other person is unlawful unless it is reasonable and moderate and is authorized in advance by the child's parent or guardian for purposes of restraining or correcting the child.
The following actions are presumed unreasonable when used to correct or restrain a child: (1) Throwing, kicking, burning, or cutting a child; (2) striking a child with a closed fist; (3) shaking a child under age three; (4) interfering with a child's breathing; (5) threatening a child with a deadly weapon; or (6) doing any other act that is likely to cause and which does cause bodily harm greater than transient pain or minor temporary marks. The age, size, and condition of the child and the location of the injury shall be considered when determining whether the bodily harm is reasonable or moderate. This list is illustrative of unreasonable actions and is not intended to be exclusive.

Reactions: G-Spot
Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I'll be the devils advocate here. Native tribes have hunted and continue to hunt these creatures in other states for generations. I bet it's happening here - somewhere at some time. Could it be them? I hope so. They get it, and they should snub the state/feds just as we've done with Marijuana. Gov stands up to other gov all the time.

I'm not sure it's Illegal activities as they've never released or implied who it might be. We always have suspects in this surveillance state. How can they not know something?

Here's what irritates me, wasn't it not to long ago, we got partially blamed for the mysterious deaths of sea lions on the Columbia, which turned out to be 100 percent false, with no apology? I think they overheated or something?

why are we always the bad guy? I have zero faith in the news.

Nobody blamed you or “us” as the bad guy.... the article didn’t say it was or wasn’t tribal people.... you are feeling prosecuted.... maybe rightfully maybe not....

It’s pretty selective that “we” or “us” want to talk shit about the natives when they over hunt and abuse the laws around them using sovereign nation as an excuse, but when it’s convenient suddenly we want to fall back on their tribal rights...... hipocracy knows no bounds!

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    It is not against the law for a parent to spank their child in the state of Washington, but it is against the law to poach here.

RCW 9A.16.100
    Use of force on children—Policy—Actions presumed unreasonable.

It is the policy of this state to protect children from assault and abuse and to encourage parents, teachers, and their authorized agents to use methods of correction and restraint of children that are not dangerous to the children. However, the physical discipline of a child is not unlawful when it is reasonable and moderate and is inflicted by a parent, teacher, or guardian for purposes of restraining or correcting the child. Any use of force on a child by any other person is unlawful unless it is reasonable and moderate and is authorized in advance by the child's parent or guardian for purposes of restraining or correcting the child.
    The following actions are presumed unreasonable when used to correct or restrain a child: (1) Throwing, kicking, burning, or cutting a child; (2) striking a child with a closed fist; (3) shaking a child under age three; (4) interfering with a child's breathing; (5) threatening a child with a deadly weapon; or (6) doing any other act that is likely to cause and which does cause bodily harm greater than transient pain or minor temporary marks. The age, size, and condition of the child and the location of the injury shall be considered when determining whether the bodily harm is reasonable or moderate. This list is illustrative of unreasonable actions and is not intended to be exclusive.

Similar laws exist in Oregon and have for many years.... 30 years ago in college (speech class) a guy gave a speech about discipline and children and some psycho student freaked out on the other student speaker about how it was illegal and she would turn him in..... A few days later I gave my informative speech about the laws as they pertain the discipline and children..... Any injury or illness lasting beyond 24 hours is prohibited, but a good old fashioned spanking leaving red marks or welts is very legal.... :-)

Reactions: Odin7 and jer dog
    Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Not reporting a known self appointed sea lion population control officer does not equate to lawlessness, it is your choice to report or not. Do you call law enforcement every time you see someone speeding, riding their bike without a helmet, witness a jaywalker, seen someone smoking too close to an entrance. Some professions are obligated to report crimes but the general populace has no such requirement.

Seattle law enforcement does not enforce most laws when it comes to the homeless, derelict vehicles, camping in public spaces, drug use and most property crimes. They are also talking about opening safe injection sites to create a more convenient and safe place for folks break the law. There are plenty of laws Seattle chooses to ignore. Reducing the Sea Lion population may be illegal but at least it has a positive impact.

Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
    Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    If they get busted, they just have to sign up
    for a GoFund Me, and I'm sure they will raise
    enough money to pay their fines.
    I can all but guarantee that if anyone is publicly charged with this crime, a Go Fund Me or some other kind of fund raiser account will happen in a blink of an eye for a defense team if they want to fight it.

California Sea Lions need to be 100% removed from Puget Sound and the Harbor Seals need to thinned bad along with re-learning to fear humans and these kinds of things just won't matter.

All protections need to removed form both and then allow the states to regulate them just like deer and elk herds.

As far as the reward goes, it is a complete waste of money.

SIMPLE!

Just my .02

WD

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    If I see someone poach an elk or a halibut I’d be pretty tempted to call someone because I always follow the rules. If I see someone shoot a sea lion or a wolf they are going to get the benefit of the doubt that they had a legit reason.

Reactions: sgwill122
    Upvote 0

Odin7

Doug Fir
    Apr 19, 2008
    Goldendale
    Name
    George
    Boat
    Duckworth Advantage
    I would like to go on the record here in public and confess that I am a "Dreamer".

I dream of a day when people who have so much to lose when bad legislation is on the table will show as much passion to speak their minds before it is passed into law as they do after it does.

How many people here wrote their Representatives about the proposal to ban the sale/transfer of lead ammunition to Washington residents under the age of 21?

I guess it is easier to disregard HB 1636 (and all the others like it that are passing) and then bitch about the consequences of the impact those laws have on their interests.

The American democratic process still works. Those who speak up and vote get what they want. Those who don't, do as well.

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

Socket985

Almost A Member
    Jun 6, 2008
    Buckley Wa
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
    Nobody blamed you or “us” as the bad guy.... the article didn’t say it was or wasn’t tribal people.... you are feeling prosecuted.... maybe rightfully maybe not....

It’s pretty selective that “we” or “us” want to talk shit about the natives when they over hunt and abuse the laws around them using sovereign nation as an excuse, but when it’s convenient suddenly we want to fall back on their tribal rights...... hipocracy knows no bounds!

Exactly.

Upvote 0

Barracuda1

Master of None
    Jul 7, 2011
    All over this bitch!
    Name
    Fred
    Boat
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    Not reporting a known self appointed sea lion population control officer does not equate to lawlessness, it is your choice to report or not. Do you call law enforcement every time you see someone speeding, riding their bike without a helmet, witness a jaywalker, seen someone smoking too close to an entrance. Some professions are obligated to report crimes but the general populace has no such requirement.

Seattle law enforcement does not enforce most laws when it comes to the homeless, derelict vehicles, camping in public spaces, drug use and most property crimes. They are also talking about opening safe injection sites to create a more convenient and safe place for folks break the law. There are plenty of laws Seattle chooses to ignore. Reducing the Sea Lion population may be illegal but at least it has a positive impact.

This. Well said!

Reactions: Baby J
    Upvote 0