Would you eat fish caught inside the harbor?

ocsleeper

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
As the title says, would anyone eat anything caught inside the harbor by where all the boats are docked? I'm not talking about certain game fish such as bay basses but more along the line of a halibut or other fish which I'm sure most of us would harvest if caught off the coast. I've always thought the harbor is a bit dirty due to all the boat traffic. Am I being paranoid here?

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I wouldn’t. A friends kid caught a harbor halibut, took it home and ate it. He got pretty sick from it.

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
Not sure what harbor you are referring to but i have seen signs in the San Diego bay stating that you should not eat more than 3 pounds of it a month
So I just avoided it all together

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
Who's to say that fish didn't just swim into the harbor?

But yes, i'd eat it. Not for every meal, but once in a while should be fine.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
...the harbor is a bit dirty due to all the boat traffic...
i would be more concerned about all navy and commercial shipyard pollution - that's built up in the mud over the past 70 years than toilet water and garbage dumped by boaters

human waste and garbage can actually provide nutrients (like the big sewer pipe running off Point Loma if you saw or smelled that when it broke just off the point a few decades ago)

but the buildup of toxic paint residue government and big shipping uses on their hulls to keep barnacles from sticking - it's in the food chain from the subsurface up in a very bad way

dumping toxins overboard and in the sewers has to settle somewhere

Reactions: joe pimentel

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
No No and NO! still can't believe people eat fish caught off local piers as it clearly states they dumped DDT off them in the past. Even local fish should be consumed in moderation IMO, I think pelagic species are a little more safe but I'm no expert as being pelagic hardly means the water they come and go from isn't toxic.

I like to eat mako, I feel its one of the best fish in the ocean for consumption but that being said I only have it a few times a month. Haven't had my mercury levels tested but based on the amount some of my friends consume I feel pretty safe.

Sure people will tell you mako is full of mercury but taking the right size fish and limiting consumption I believe makes it as safe as any other fish. Once again this is just my opinion. Keep in mind we all love lobster but the environment a lot of them are caught and consumed from is questionable.

Overall It isn't going to kill you.

Happy hunting and eating

Reactions: joe pimentel

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Yes it is. Get over your need to defend people who don't want or need your help.

Also, would anyone taste the muck the fish was living in?
That is your answer.
I usually stroll the OC piers in the evenings to stretch out my legs after sitting all day. I see all types of people enjoying nature by fishing and catching the usual stuffs you'd catch from piers. And yes some of these pier fishermen do keep their catches.

So explain to me how singling out any of these ethnicities in a derogatory way, funny?

This is funny:
'Would you eat fish caught inside the harbor?'
Only if you enjoy diarrhea.

twotrack

habitual scopolamine abuser
Dec 14, 2011
San Clemente
Name
Scott
Boat
Sin Barco
Re: San Diego Harbor lobster and halibut? HARD pass. Only the Chamber of Commerce kept the big bay from superfund status. Sewage is the least of it. Chemicals, ketones, shipyard solvents, actual nuclear waste, half a century of Navy abuses, hospital waste, hep A and B piss runoff... you would have a hard time designing a more abused waterway.
Maybe Cleveland's Cuyahoga river when it actually caught fire...
I'll mow a yellow or calico from the PLK, but even that ain't optimal.

Reactions: double_entendre

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
I’ve eaten halibut from Newport Harbor, close to the jetties. It’s was pretty good.
But if I caught it deeper in the harbor, I prolly wouldn’t have.
Anyone eat perch from Catalina? Because I’ve shit in a bucket and tossed it overboard, just to see perch annihilate it. I will never eat a perch because of that.

FishAcquisition

Sep 19, 2005
La Quinta
Name
Dan
Boat
Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
Re: San Diego Harbor lobster and halibut? HARD pass. Only the Chamber of Commerce kept the big bay from superfund status. Sewage is the least of it. Chemicals, ketones, shipyard solvents, actual nuclear waste, half a century of Navy abuses, hospital waste, hep A and B piss runoff... you would have a hard time designing a more abused waterway.
Maybe Cleveland's Cuyahoga river when it actually caught fire...
I'll mow a yellow or calico from the PLK, but even that ain't optimal.
Yikes,
You might have sold me there with the keytones,
Nuclear Pee and such. I never have kept anything to eat from ther but love to fish there. One question I have is, have you ever seen a less then super healthy fish in there? I haven’t.
Never cut one open though.