Would love your input.

Discussion in 'Fishing Boats For Sale Classified Ads' started by Pfeiffer Rose, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Pfeiffer Rose

Pfeiffer Rose Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    21' parker Pfeiffer Rose
    Greetings.
    I'm stashing $$ and looking for a new boat. I don't have a giant budget and would love a walkaround. Also i have a Toyota tacoma 6 cyl. In everything i find, it seems a 20' trophy is fitting my needs and budget best. My buddy tells me "don't get that" and shakes his head. It just seems to fit my situation best. And the boats seem to have a lot to offer. I would love some feed back on these boats and maybe some suggestions of what else might fit my needs.
    Thanks in advance
    Todd

2. no bananas

no bananas Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Kencraft Challenger 220 WA
    Hi Todd,

I was in a similar situation and ended up purchasing a slightly used boat recently. Before my purchase, I too invited some feedbacks from my buddies. While all those feedbacks were stemming from the right place, they were opinionated and I had to sort out the golden nuggets from the turds. I will share what little I know.

In earlier years, Bayliner used to make Trophy and built a poor reputation. The parent company of the Bayliner (Brunswick) separated the Trophy line as a separate brand and is making excellent boats now. But that negative reputation that was formed in earlier years (unjustifiably) still lingers around in the market today. From what I am seeing, the construction and seaworthiness of today's Trophy are much superior than what I experienced in earlier Bayliner Trophys.

To sum it up, Trophys are solid boats but when it comes to selling, you may have to combat that negative reputation that is present in the market place and won't be able to fetch a good resale value.

Ultimate Catch likes this.
  3. meandmyself

meandmyself Who knows

Name:
    edgar teixeira
    Boat:
    1991 Farallon Whaleback 25 Rock Bottom
    Trophy's are good starter boats get one with a later model engine and have it checked

4. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Got an 1802 Trophy, came with a Force. Beware of any Force motor. I re powered with 115 Merc. I've replaced steering cable, pumps (3) wiring.
    Added bait tank, arch, on board charger, ff/ plotter, etc. It never ends. Whatever you do choose, fish it every chance you get. Google is a great resource.

BIGAJOHN likes this.
  5. Assalt Weapon

Assalt Weapon Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2240SX
    Dont discount the negativity so fast. I was on my friends bayliner trophy 20-21 ft wacc say around 1996 timeframe. He bought the boat brand new.. It was a couple of years old.. On a fishing trip, he was walking forward to deal with the anchor. Boat was rocking, he leaned on the railing, and ripped the fiberglass, out of 3 stantions, as he fell in the water..

These were 2 inch by 3-4 inch chunks, ripped out of the hull. time 3 places it ripped. What i saw blew me away.. To say the fiberglass was paper thin isnt exaggerating... Combined with the Force motors.. Was a recipe for the bad reputation.

Make matters worse, he frequently went out alone with his 3 year old son.. Like coronados.. The what ifs.. Wow. He fixed it and sold it. Lost a ton of $$$.

I will agree improvements were made, but a reputation is exactly that.. Why brunswick kept the Trophy name is a mystery to me. Should have changed it...

What concerns me about trophy. Changing the work culture in the manufacturing plant. Workers are typically resistant to change. Therefore, how many years did or does it take to truly update the quality control.

As a buyer you need to be aware of this.. Newer boats might be decent, but resell might bite you in the but. And it might take a long time to sell it.

6. c-level

c-level Newbie

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    16' Radoncraft Bahia
    Whatever you end up with, do your research. I spend a lot of time researching boats before I buy them, check out hulltruth.com and do a lot of google searches to find out a site that is specific to the boat you are looking for. The other thing to keep in mind is the weight you can tow, a light boat is going to pound a bit in any seas, and if the boat is a pos that means all the electronic wiring might get loose as will any screws they use not to mention any hull or transom problems you might encounter. If your taco is a newer one with the factory tow hitch I think you are good for 5k pounds but check your manual. I had a older 1994? model and bought a 18.5' outrage with a 4 stroke and it had a hard time towing it uphill so I sold the truck and bought a tundra.

Once you figure out your safe towing weight take your time picking out a boat, I've seen fantastic buys on bloodydecks and craigslist. If you don't know boats and don't have a buddy who knows them then get a surveyor. The last thing you want is to buy a boat with unknown problems and get stranded way out.

7. Kareem Korn

Kareem Korn Muffin Monster

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
    I have the '05 1902 WA. It's been a reliable quality boat for me for the last seven years I've owned it. I just keep up with the maintenance and it still looks and runs new. I was impressed when I went to run new electronics and found they run 1 1/2" pvc (with xtra pull wire)on the starboard side so you don't have to "fish" wires thru spaghetti.
    They are a universal boat, so you would have to modify it to suit the fishing on the west coast. Like adding a bait tank instead of using the built in bait well. Cooler placement to hold and keep cool all the big offshore fish you'll catch :).
    I fish it offshore/inshore. I take my kids to Cat. I even have it stickered for DVL.
    I haven't seen anything on it that was cheap, halfassed, or sub par.
    Mine is for sale, but if I sell it or don't it doesn't matter to me because I enjoy it and will continue to enjoy it.

But, go to the hulltruth.com. I think there's a category on trophys and answers to your question.

8. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Absolutely LOVE my Trophy Pro. I have had it 70+ miles offshore and never worried about it. Many folks on this board have fished on it with me.
    As already stated, you will have to set it up for your application.

I have over 3,000 hrs on my 2006, Mercury Verado 135 motor and she still purrs like a kitten. Keep up with the maintenance and flush the motor after EVERY trip. Good to go.

Yes, I fish a lot... :D

Good luck

9. CPV

CPV Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    25' Sportcraft
    I'm selling my 20 skipjack on this thread and will refresh the post. I'm a captain and drive many different boats. Not to plug my boat here, but I am constantly blown away by how much better of a fishing platform the 20 skippy is than anything else in that size range. It seems most walk around in that size bracket are way too bulky and have very limited fishing space. I recently got back from mex and fished 7 on my boat (including my 7,8 yr old kids) and there was lots of space for everyone. It was very comfortable, and that could never happen on similar sized boats. After this boat, I would not buy a 20' for offshore purposes unless its a skippy like mine. It is just, in all ways, better in chop, more fishable, comfortable, reliable, spacious, etc... i never understood the skippy hype until I bought one.

20141004_084538.jpg

20141004_084154.jpg

madrugador likes this.
  10. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Old Trophys were piles of crapped that forever stained the name.

The '05 and newer Trophys are a great bang for the buck boat and you can buy them cheap used because of the bad wrap.

Get yourself a clean one with a 4 stroke and go kill some fish.

Bottom Line likes this.
  11. bman440440

bman440440 I am the one who knocks!!!

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ship Show(30' double decker pontoon),Ships&Giggles(32' double decker pontoon)
    my buddy "sdverne" has a 1998 2352 and its an absolute beast! its one of the biggest 23 footers I have been on... LOA on it is 29' that being said... it is very comfortable in just about any sea's... the only thing that sucked on the boat was the factory "live well" but that was solved by 2 big tanks on the swim step... we have had "187 FISH" 75 miles south and its been a great boat... I know they get a lot of crap but his is a solid and fun platform to fish from!! BTW that is a 23' striper in the last pic... you can see the size difference... both have a "23foot" hull

IMG_7706.JPG IMG_7707.JPG IMG_7732.JPG IMG_7761.JPG

12. Pfeiffer Rose

Pfeiffer Rose Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    21' parker Pfeiffer Rose
    Thanks for all the input. All the info really helps.
    It is a newer tacoma with the tow package. If I was able to tow 5k that would open up some windows. Though there are a couple steep grades around
    I Love the look and feel of the skipjack but I think it might be too heavy for my truck.
    Thanks again for the input. I would love to hear more suggestions
    Todd

13. DALE S

DALE S TOTW

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    Bayrunner Baja 21
    Were listing to the port!

14. CPV

CPV Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    25' Sportcraft
    Hey buddy,
    You have plenty of truck.. i have an older tundra, same chassis and tow capability as new tacomas (seems like a bigger truck all the way around) and I've towed this boat on 400 mile trips to mexico, going up that giant grade on the 8. If youre in the market, it's at least worth a look. I'll give you a great deal. Let me know

15. tambs

tambs Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    "Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
    There's a lot of good advice here, with both sides of the coin represented. I favor your buddy's advice.... Don't get it.

I'll admit some of my own bias stems from the old Brunswick days, and some from keeping my eye on the Trophy line over the years and not really seeing a huge leap in quality, fit, finish, or craftsmanship. It is, like others said, an entry level boat.

A big part of my hesitation to recommend the boat is it's size. 20' looks sizeable on the trailer, but load 3 or 4 guys or family members in it along with coolers, gear, rods, etc and you'll quickly realize that it really is a 2 or 3 person platform, and within a year you'll have the dreaded but unavoidable case of 2 or 3 foot 'itus. It truly is a virulent affliction. It is difficult to recommend something to fit your needs when you haven't given us one specific need except your tow vehicle limitations.

Are you wanting to ski, camp, fish, overnight, moor, trailer, ocean, nearshore, shallow river, or is the boat simply a dock queen to entertain guests on with a marina-side BBQ and cocktails. Are you a solitary angler, or are you taking a family of six, or a boatload of frat brothers and a keg?

We really need more info to give meaningful recommendations.

16. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    20' skipjack is hard to beat and you can tow it with a tacoma.

or if you wanna be a real pimp go all out and find a 18' Parker

madrugador likes this.
  17. scwafish

scwafish Obsessed with fish

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    Radoncraft 18
    IMHO your much better getting a smaller boat that's a classic hull with a newer motor. You'll have a better boat and ez resale when your ready to move up.

With the truck you already have something like a Montauk would be perfect. Something like this http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/whaler-17-pilothouse.551345/ with a Tacoma would be a low-overhead fish killing combo.

18. sbsurfer

sbsurfer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
    I would stay away from the Trophy's. My first boat to head offshore was a 1998 Trophy, did it get the job done...yes. BUT, knowing what I know now about boats after doing this for 15 years I would lean towards a classic hull with a newer OB just like scwafish mentioned above. An older Whaler or Skippy will be my call.

19. hawksfan75

hawksfan75 More questions than answers

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Hydra Sports 2200 DC
    I have the Trophy 1952, walk around with the 3.0L Mercruiser. It's a great boat, built like a bulldog that handles the Northwest weather with zero issues. I like it over the outboard because the motor box is usable space, which is a bonus for pitching irons or, for me, jigging for salmon/bottom fish. I also like its stability. I weigh about 425lbs and I can stand on the gunwale and it barely tips.

Mine's for sale as I have caught the two-foot-itus that Tambs mentions and I'm looking for a tin boat to fit in with the other Northwesters ;) I can PM a link if you're interested.

20. SportCraft

SportCraft Usual Suspect

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    SportCraft 241 "Skunked"
    You really need to find out the towing capacity of your truck, multiply that by .80 to get the "safe" tow rating and start there. Then as "tambs" said, figure out how you are going to use the boat. If you're sure you need a 20' rig, check out a few of the more popular boats out there (Pro Line, Seaswirl, Trophy, Grady etc...) on www.nadaguides.com for pricing, but you can also find specifications there, including weight. For example, a 2000 Trophy weighs 3,098 pounds without trailer.

Once you start to look at boats, you will want to check them out thoroughly. I bought "Buyer's Guide to Outboard Boats" by David Pascoe online, and it really helped me to focus on what to look for and what to avoid.

Keep asking questions here and elsewhere before you spend a dime. I test drove a really nice Striper with a Johnson 225. I loved the boat but it was WAY underpowered. On asking around on the Striper forum, I leaned that that engine was just not enough for that boat, so I moved on.

Lastly, you say you are saving for a new boat. If you mean a "New" new boat you'll be losing a TON of money right off the lot. If you mean a "Used" new boat, you're on the right track. There are some good dealers out there (I bought mine at Inland Boat Center) where you can look at a variety of similar boats side by side to make a more informed decision.

Have fun look and look at a LOT of boats before you're even ready to buy. I looked for a year before pulling the trigger. That way you'll have a good idea of the price points, pros and cons of different boats, and what will really suit your needs.

Good luck!