Worthwhile Lower Colorado River Boating and Fishing?

dcdude

Jul 18, 2019
San Diego
Name
Charles
Boat
TBD 180
Thinking about towing the boat out the The River from San Diego sometime this winter. Not really excited at the prospect of driving almost 5+ hours to Havasu.

Are there any spots on the lower Colorado worth visiting, such as Lake Martinez or Blythe, or is it just a waste of time compared to our options in SD County?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Thinking about towing the boat out the The River from San Diego sometime this winter. Not really excited at the prospect of driving almost 5+ hours to Havasu.

Are there any spots on the lower Colorado worth visiting, such as Lake Martinez or Blythe, or is it just a waste of time compared to our options in SD County?

Thanks!
I have not spent a lot of time down there - mostly Parker north.

This year there will be some very skinny water down there. On my trips to the river around Blythe I used to bounce off the bottom plenty and in those days it used to actually rain in the southwest. Can't imagine it has gotten any better.

If you a fan of the desert I would make the drive to Havasu. Beautiful weather late fall/early winter. Also a different world there in the off season compared to the summer crowds.

If your not a big fan of the desert then SD has plenty to do.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
research Willow Beach below Hoover dam...stripers, bass and trout..scenic runs thru the canyon up to the dam...launch ramp for easy launches and used to be a restaurant there..not sure after covid.arrival..

Upvote 0

OVCabo216

Aug 10, 2020
Ventura California...
Name
Corbin
Boat
ocean
I fish it once a year and take our boat out. We fished the river and lake Mohave, Striper fishing was slow but all the summertime fishing was our last trip. The river is normally better Striper fishing, lakes I normally have good luck slaying 20-30 smallmouth a day and toss em back. Check the river water level schedule though, it’s seasonal when they drop the level. My last trip they lowered it to just a few feet at night so nighttime and early hours it’s too shallow for most boats. But they don’t always do it. They post the water level online so you know in advance

Upvote 0