Worst Shot Ever..

Discussion in 'Washington Hunting' started by EJ Swanny, Dec 31, 2018.

1. swiveljig

swiveljig Member

Name:
    Kirk Poeggel
    Boat:
    Sea Squirt - 22' '79 Cruisers Inc. Barnegat
    If we don’t get excited when we see animals, especially legal ones, then we should should probably not be hunting anymore! You might as well just raise a beef or pig and butcher it, that excitement and adrenaline is what keeps me hunting this stupid state ( not a big fan of a game department that introduces more predators than there are game animals). I do farm kills for a living and still get nervous when I’m shooting an animal, add that to hunting hard and spending days afield and then finally seeing that legal animal..... OH, YA!!

bullshooter, Odin7 and EJ Swanny like this.
  2. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    I hear you there. For me, doesn't matter if I have a barely legal in the cross-hairs or 200+ B&C trophy. I'm still shaking like a hound dog shitting carpet tacks. Some say....the more you shoot at ranges, the less excited you get..I tend to disagree...I get no "rush" shooting paper on a bench..paper has no life....I think I get nervous, because I want to make a "clean" kill, no suffering. I go through my 1,2,3's...rest, breathing, trigger pull.....just something about hunting, not shooting...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    bullshooter and Odin7 like this.
  3. Cohoho

Cohoho I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cohoho
    Boat:
    COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
    I missed a Grizzly bear at 25 yards with my bow a lot of years ago while chasing Caribou, I still get sick thinking about it. I saw it off in the distance and called it with a predator call right to me from 300 yards, now the stupid part - on open tundra with only a small ditch to hide for cover with only a bow in hand. He closed the distance to me rather quickly. He then appeared at about 25yards, started smelling and then stood up facing me. I pulled back, got the sight pin aligned, released the arrow into a believed "death spot". Or so I thought - the predator call I was using got hit by my string during release and pushed the arrow 6" or so of my target area, hitting the only sapling in the entire area, a couple feet from where the sweet blonde Griz stood. Damn thing dropped to all fours started shaking his head back and forth, I think I tried to nock another arrow, but it dropped into a ravine and disappeared like a ghost. After several minutes of damn near shitting myself, and cussing like a drunken sailor, I went to where he was and found the arrow stuck perfectly in the ONLY sapling within 20 miles! So three lessons learned: #1 always remove predator call from mouth - as my front upper teeth got caught by the lip of the call and were loose for a couple weeks after; #2 or buy a predator call without a lip on the edge of it; #3 or don't do stupid shit like this again; #4 - never hunt with Frank again!, my back up rifle guy. He was still messing around about 200 yards away when everything went down, instead of being near me - like we agreed for the him to take it, if I missed or wasn't able to take a shot. It was a long quiet 16hr drive back to Anchorage from north of the Arctic Circle on the Haul Road... Oh, I don't archery hunt either anymore...

Blackfish, Odin7 and EJ Swanny like this.
  4. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    As Frank tells the story, "And that dumb SOB said, Hey, let's use a predator call to see if we can get a grizzly within archery range. And I says, why don't we go to Haiti and get us a couple of hookers when we are done. Last time I ever hunted with that guy!"

Salmon King and Cohoho like this.
  5. Cohoho

Name:
    Cohoho
    Boat:
    Frank also washed his hair in our shit bucket by accident! lol And walked through a thigh deep creek to start the hike out, instead of waiting for us to throw the waders over. He stated I'm an retired Army Ranger, we don't utilize waders! Ten miles later he had "BIG" feet trouble! Frank is still my buddy that I talk to every now and then, this story is always is our topic... That and some other dumb shit we've done..

Odin7 likes this.
  6. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    When I was a paratrooper stationed at Fort Wainwright, all the NCOs had come out of the Ranger Battalions and when he finished up there, our First Sergeant became the CSM of 2/75th.

While rappelling, one of the squad leaders was preparing to do something a bit out of the standard when the First Sergeant shouted up: "SGT Brown, are you sure you want to do that?!"

SGT Brown replied: "First Sergeant, I'm a F***ing Ranger aren't I?!"

That is what we wrote on his cast.

Cohoho likes this.
  7. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Any chance Frank's last name begins with the letters De?

8. Cohoho

Name:
    Cohoho
    Boat:
    No, not him but never know as it’s a small world for sure. How long were you at Wainwright? I retired out of Elmendorf and was as Civ employee at Fort Rich during its transition to Joint Base Dickendorf... (JBEAR)

9. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    20 months. It was an 18 month tour for a single guy at the time and I was extended two months into the winter to sync with the start of the SFQC.

A lot of hunting up there and no doubt plenty of opportunities to see if you can shoot as well in the woods as you can on the range. Saw more grizzly bears and moose in that short time than I will probably ever see in total for the rest of my life if I don't get back there.

One thing I damn sure know after a couple of encounters with grizzly bears at close range is that even IF I could hit anything with a bow, I don't have the stones to call one in and try to shoot it!

EJ Swanny likes this.