Worst Shot Ever..

Discussion in 'Washington Hunting' started by EJ Swanny, Dec 31, 2018.

1. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Hey guy/gals...to alleviate this winter's boredom(unless you water-fowl), I'll start..I have made some amazing shots, and some miserable ones. Let's hear some epic failures...I'll start...

Opening day, watched a legal buck for about 5 minutes, decided to take it.. 50 yds broadside, I was sitting, rock solid foundation...boom...nada...WOW, now that's a crappy shot

Next year....confronted a nice buck (it was a stare down), I''m sure most of you have been there, Probably 40 yds, looking right at me, I was aiming at the white patch on its neck (whitetail). Then I forgot if my safety was on or off, used my thumb to double check, he saw the motion..took off..bye-bye.

Yeah-Yeah, practice, practice, practice, I get it, it could only help. But it's hard to replicate the excitement you feel, with adrenaline pumping, when on an animal you're about to shoot....

When you miss, or do a dumb thing, it's the worst feeling, but then you realize, the prize is being out there, being with friends and family, enjoying our beautiful PNW......as long as I can be hunting with family and friends, missing is just a small price to pay...be safe out there guys, and let's hear some of your best/worst misses...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    I spend hours and hours of practice time behind my rifles at the bench and in field positions developing muscle memory before the season ever starts. I highly recommend it. It doesn’t always have to be with your hunting rifle either. Sending lead down range for effect with a 223 or a 22 lr helps to stay sharp and is very affordable. Going to the range once or twice or never before season and then expecting great results afield is asking a lot.

LJB, Odin7 and One_Leg like this.
  3. kenzmad

kenzmad I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jamie
    Boat:
    nwj 218 lightning
    Missed 2 different does this year shooting off shooting sticks sitting in my blind. 80 yards standing broadside during muzzleloader season. Whitetail does dont get the blood pumping. Cant explain it. Only deer I took was with an offhand quick shot at a moving deer. Go figure.

4. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    I haven't had buck fever in a long time

But I did see a buddy miss two chip shots due to a loose scope mount.

This year another buddy didn't adjust his eye relief from bench shooting and missed 3 but got 1 that he hobbled.

5. Siv

Siv I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    19' SeaSport
    A 6 ounce blast of Old Mr Boston tequila out of a plastic cup after drinking about 17 draft Buds at a college dorm party. I have very clear memories of the inside of a toilet bowl about 4 hours later but nothing in between.
    Carry on.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    FishPimpII and Wild Bill like this.
  6. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Flaming shot of Bacardi 151 about 35 years ago. Singed half my stache off and burned my throat something fierce. On New Years no less. Good times.

paveingnomo and Siv like this.
  7. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    Fed the same to my brother one night at a bar, when he touched the edge of the glass with his lip the burn made him jump. Lit his whole face on fire.
    Laughed my ass off.

served him right for kicking my ass so many times growing up. Older brothers can suck at times but sometimes retaliation is a bitch.

Ducker!

8. CartridgeCalls

CartridgeCalls 100% Disabled Veteran Owned Business

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    Bust Out Another Thousand
    I dont want to talk about it. :)

I miseed 17 different deer in one day during hunting season this year. No shots were over 100 yads. I figured out after sending the scope back in to leupold that te crosshairs were broken. Im glad I didnt would or injure anything. I ended up using a friends rifle who admitted later that he dropped my rifle case before the hunt and didnt inform me.

EJ Swanny likes this.
  9. One_Leg

One_Leg Ret. Comm. Diver/Medic

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Iron sights @ 100 yards.

10. mrfish11

mrfish11 "Ice Melter"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    I assumed you could have figured out something wasnt right a lil sooner???? 17 different deer is a lot of missin in 1 day :eek::D

Cohoho, Blackfish and One_Leg like this.
  11. koorbloh

koorbloh Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    17' Smokercraft Osprey
    I was hunting mule deer for the first time, and in my head, I knew that any shot would be over 200 yards, closer to 3--so I held high when I shot at this buck that was probably closer to 50 yards. Over his back, TWICE. Then to find out that my rifle was another 6-10" high AND right at that range.....

But at least I didn't wound him.

EJ Swanny likes this.
  12. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    My friend owns a ranch in Texas, and my son and I go every year for the opener. Its a pretty nice size 1000 acer ranch with low fences. I'm not into shooting from a blind under a feeder, so I have my own area that they call the Californian Blind. Its a tall Blind, but the feeder has been dead for years, and really was never a good area to hunt even when the feeder was working.

I take this blind every year, as it does have a some great tree lines, and fence line the has a ranch road that runs along the back of the tree lines. It also has a gate, that gives a nice opening where i have seen many Deer come behind the tree line, and hop the the fence. Once the deer enter the gate area, they can either continue across, in to another large tree line that is deep, and works it way toward the old feeder that is in in the open area. Behind me is also open areas, with groups of trees, and tree lines and large oaks. The deer that come from the tree line gate area normally will hug the tree line, but at times, cross the open area.

The tree line is about 200-250 yards in the front, and about 100 yards behind, and the old feeder is about 125.

This morning, I was sitting there, not really expecting to see much. Maybe some doe. Not to my surprise, four doe come from behind the tree line, and cross to the next tree line.

I'm watching and not to excited. Then suddenly, a nice buck jumps the gate, and walking toward the tree line. I grab my bino's, as this buck has a decent spread.....HOLY SHIT...its an easy 10 pointer, and WIDE, maybe bigger then 10 points, but I can't tell for sure. But I'm thinking, this is one of the nicest bucks I have seen on the ranch , and possibly, the biggest ever.

Buck fever really starts to set in big time. Instead of waiting for it to continue moving, so I can get a better angle from the blind, I choose to take a shot, but I'm positioned in the blind in a awkward way. Kind of off balance. And I never tried to stop the deer from walking. I had a good broadside shot, but I'm shooting at a moving target, and my shooting position is uncomfortable....and its at least a 200 yard shot.

BANG. I fire of my round, and I see the poof of dirt five feet in front of the buck. The buck freezes, and has no idea where the shot came from. Cool....more buck fever is kicking in. I try and chamber another round, but it feels like the round is jamming. I fiddle with it, but IMO, its just way to stiff, and doesn't seem right. This trip I borrowed my buddies rifle because of the headache I had the year before with checking in the gun at the airport. So I wasn't totally familiar with the rifle I was shooting. By the time I got the round chambered, I had spooked the buck and it took off. I could have tried for a hell marry shot, as the deer was directly in front of me now, and I had much better and more controlled shot, but the bucks body position was not right for a ethical shot......I will never forget that deer. I have not taken another shot at a deer since that day, because i have never seen one bigger.

kbray001 and EJ Swanny like this.
  13. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Where are you hunting, that you see 17 "shooter" deer, in one day?

14. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    95% of us "tense up" when seeing a nice buck or any buck....."non-clinical" term, buck-fever. My uncle tells a story about ejecting every round in his rifle when confronted with his first buck (a spike). No shame in it.....it manifests itself in many different ways...

15. CartridgeCalls

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    Either sex deer tag A zone.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  16. Hunter Dan

Hunter Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    MUGWUMP
    At least you all shot! I put my 15 year old nephew on a dandy muley buck this year. Easy 125 yard shot. I watched the damn bruiser stand up out of his bed and almost crapped my pants. Even with the naked eye I could tell he was one of the biggest I've ever seen and I'm carrying a 16ga SxS ! Sean doesn't see him until he starts walking, then he craps his pants :-) I say SHOOT!!!!!! His Remington's muzzle is doing wobbly circles as he aims, and aims and aims.......until finally he says I don't think I can hit him. Well, FUCK!!!!!! I just stuck out my hand. He instantly handed me the gun. I saw that bucks wide, wide ass take one step into a fold along the ridge top and he was gone to live another day. That was Sean's last day in camp. Driving him to meet his mom, the boys dad and gramps kept up a constant refrain, When Uncle Dan says 'shoot' you SHOOT!!! :-)

17. Jessec

Jessec Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    240 outrage
    Please send link to affordable .223. Thanks.

:D

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  18. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    What do you consider affordable? Good reloadable brass cased 223 ammo can be had for .30 cents a round. If you don’t care about reloading, steel cased can be had for even less. My current favorite for low cost practice is a 7.62x39 AR I built. It will put 5 shots in an inch at 100 yds with wolf military classic steel cased ammo that costs .19 cents a round.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  19. stickbass

stickbass Member

Name:
    richard
    Boat:
    none

why didnt you check your zero after missing a couple times?

20. CartridgeCalls

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    We did. Left to right was perfect. the height kept changing after every shot..