openclass

Slam
May 28, 2009
Fairfield/Bodega Bay
Name
Rick
Boat
Parker 2820 & 26' Farallon Whaleback
I can't freaking click anything here without that crap taking the bottom 25% of my screen....... I would happily donate to get rid of it.

Reactions: farhangs

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Guys,

We are trying some new ads and technologies as we continue to build out the new site.

There was an error with that ad. It should have popped up once and then been gone.

When you use ad blockers, you're essentially "taking" from the site without giving anything back. By encouraging others to do the same, you're just exacerbating the issue.

Please keep in mind that these ads are how we pay the bills. Just X out the ones that don't apply to you.

Small price to pay for hours of free entertainment IMO.

Just provide feedback and we'll do our best to stay low impact.

Last edited:

DOGHOUSE26

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Guys,

Please keep in mind that these ads are how we pay the bills.

Small price to pay for hours of free entertainment IMO.
Yeah, and gas in that Hot Rod of yours too!

I've ordered quite a few pairs of shorts off the AFTCO ad good stuff, I thought something wasn't right as that World Of Fire takes over the screen. Completely understand and thanks for the quick response; I'm surprised you didn't pull a Trump and blame it on Jason!

ja73

Sep 1, 2017
SGV
Name
Jay
Boat
Arima SC16
I get it, need some kind of revenue for the site, but a constant bombardment of ads makes people look into a Ad Blocker, which in return kills revenue.
IMO, there’s no need that every thread people go into has to start out with a full page pop up ad that covers up a whole screen and after clicking on the “X” , another ad pops up on the bottom quarter of the screen, that’s gets annoying.
The size of the bottom ad I think is a bit large and should be at least cut down by 50%.
Not necessary.....

Last edited:
Reactions: plj46

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I get it, need some kind of revenue for the site, but a constant bombardment of ads makes people look into a Ad Blocker, which in return kills revenue.
IMO, there’s no need that every thread people go into has to start out with a full page pop up ad that covers up a whole screen and after clicking on the “X” , another ad pops up on the bottom quarter of the screen, that’s gets annoying.
The size of the bottom ad I think is a bit large and should be at least cut down by 50%.
Not necessary.....
this is good feedback. Please keep sending screen shots like this. We are experimenting and stuff is going to be a little weird for a bit.

We can't control what ad get served when but we can block crappy ads. If there's an annoying or PITA ad, screenshot it here and click and paste the link here also.

Bear with us and keep the screenshots and feedback coming.

We appreciate you guys hanging in there with us.

chachi10

Aug 28, 2018
San Diego
Name
Chachi
Boat
None
What mobile browser are you guys running? On gogole chrome, I've never had any pop-up I needed to manually move or close. I get 2 ads here. One tiny one in the banner at the top of a thread, and one slightly larger one at the end of a thread like this one.

Ali, I don't plan to use adblockers here at this time,but what always changes my opinion for that on websites is when they implement autoplay video ads. Those things eat up your mobile data plan burning megabytes to load a video you didn't want to watch which ends up costing me money on my Verizon bill. And then some of those things have sound turned on by default which gets me busted in the office. Just some food for thought for the future.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20200409-104441.png

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
What mobile browser are you guys running? On gogole chrome, I've never had any pop-up I needed to manually move or close. I get 2 ads here. One tiny one in the banner at the top of a thread, and one slightly larger one at the end of a thread like this one.

Ali, I don't plan to use adblockers here at this time,but what always changes my opinion for that on websites is when they implement autoplay video ads. Those things eat up your mobile data plan burning megabytes to load a video you didn't want to watch which ends up costing me money on my Verizon bill. And then some of those things have sound turned on by default which gets me busted in the office. Just some food for thought for the future.

Thanks!

View attachment 1131888
We F'n hate those little annoying video ads that you can't get rid of. We will kill those.

WE do have some "eclipse" ads we are working on similar to what you see with movie promo's, etc.

We just want to make sure we don't kill the user experience while we upgrade our ads capability.

Feedback like this helps steer us.

I got this whole page ad yesterday when browsing the offshore reports forum.
Using safari. @Ali View attachment 1132321
These ads we're ok with as long as you only see it ONCE. It's only a "full screen" ad because your on mobile and the screen is just so small.

One X click per session doesn't seem unreasonable.

We were having a problem where these kept coming back again and again.

PLease keep us posted on that and keep the feedback coming guys.

Bottom_Scratcher

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 20, 2020
San Diego
Name
C
Boat
15’ Hobie power skiff
We F'n hate those little annoying video ads that you can't get rid of. We will kill those.

WE do have some "eclipse" ads we are working on similar to what you see with movie promo's, etc.

We just want to make sure we don't kill the user experience while we upgrade our ads capability.

Feedback like this helps steer us.

These ads we're ok with as long as you only see it ONCE. It's only a "full screen" ad because your on mobile and the screen is just so small.

One X click per session doesn't seem unreasonable.

We were having a problem where these kept coming back again and again.

PLease keep us posted on that and keep the feedback coming guys.
I don’t mind hitting the x at all, just figured I’d bring it to your attention. It popped up every time I moved from thread to thread.
Love the site, thanks for the hard work! @Ali

Reactions: Ali