Word to the wise- First Aid

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Outhouse, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Bleach in the dish water was always my go too. But since then I've never ran into infection problems. Maybe I got lucky . I do recall a guy with blood poisoning and it was ugly. Best of luck getting better

2. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hope you heal quickly, Jon!

As previously stated, H2O2 is not a good antiseptic. Many of them mentioned would be effective. Always bring your own first aid kit with you. You never know what the boat may have (or run out of). Especially on a long trip...

- Jeff Burroughs

3. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    What would you guys put into a first aid kit?

4. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    One of my buddies scraped his knee on the deck. Less than 24 hours later, he had red streaks running up his leg and gnarly swelling. If not for the boat having oral antibiotics on hand, he would have been screwed. Nasty crap in the tropical water down south.

Google Dakin's solution. It is a buffered diluted solution of bleach and baking soda that has been around for almost a century and used for wound care. It can be home made and would be much better than hydrogen peroxide. Here are a couple of articles:

http://nursingcenter.com/JournalArticle?Article_ID=1585988

http://www.virginia.edu/uvaprint/HSC/pdf/09024.pdf

5. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    I already wrote to Jon and wished him the best and gave him my info. Here are the gloves I am currently using. My criteria requires a very small amount of pattern on the grip surface to avoid slippage, nylon on the back and the Nitrile material on the abrasion resistant surfaces. I want these relatively quick drying, no leather and ultra thin rather than baseball type leather gloves. I can sometimes find these items or similar gloves at Home Depot at a bit less money but they can be found all over the net, by googling, at various prices per pair. I wear a size large but my hands are not particularly big so finding a site where you can order a few pair in each size before ordering a bundle or two might serve you right in the long run. The gloves save me weeks of pain as I use them for most everything I do as it applies to fishing. Additionally, for those who choose, you can cut the fingers or just finger tips as you see fit and the gloves will not unravel. I tend to have, as a minimum, my thumb and next two fingers full leaving my pinky and finger next to it with the tips cut off so I can pick at loop to loop connections or ??? However, I find I am cutting the tips less and less as I want those inside finger creases covered everywhere or anywhere a blister or cut might begin. I have no problem tying knots or crimping while wearing these gloves but sometimes, on the rare occasions I actually use bait, grabbing a live bait can be a bit more difficult. So, I take them off, put them in my pocket, put the bait on, and then put them back on my hands. The product I use is the Maxiflex Ultimate ATG34-874L. These stay snug without restricting blood flow. The products are designed to act like a second skin so do not buy them loose. Finally, the Nitrile coating is almost indestructible and will not be cut even by running spectra lines.

Jamie

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

OK broke out my boat medical bag…….various sizes of Nexcare water proof bandages …gauze pads, liquid bandage, two tubes of triple antibotic, Pepto Bismo tablets, tera flu , two 50 gr Silver quick Clot sponges, anti acid tabs, 24 tabs of hypocodone, 20 tabs of cirproflxacin, 20 tabs roxicodone, 25 tabs meloxicam, bottle of benadryl tabs, container of BIF antiseptic powder, anti bacterial wipes, q tips, small sharp scissors, small razor knife, eye allergy relief drops, package of lopermide for severe diarria, small tube of vasaline, Alka selsar cold tabs, Orajel toothache medicine, Senco moist burn pads…….

The boat I ride on has serious stuff for pain and stitches if necessary and a very comprehensive first aid set up.

etwizard and BirdnestBill like this.
  7. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    Fishy, that isn't a first aid kid it is a pharmacy!!!

8. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Soda pop got a staff infection from fishing one trip.Took a while to get it healed.

9. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    yes on the Keflex(or whatever your doc prescribes)...see your doc before you go...you need to get started on the oral anti biotic on the boat, not when you get home

Fishybuzz likes this.
  10. fishnfool73

fishnfool73 Newbie

Name:
    chris adams
    Boat:
    none
    Among other things already listed I bring a Zpack on every trip. A few years ago trip before us had the creeping crud boatwide. The stories were insane and some looked like zombies getting off the boat. Ever since then a Zpack is in my bag.

mikelravy likes this.
  11. Outhouse

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    Guys, they say that pictures are worth a thousand words, here's what I'm dealing with. This was taken Thursday just after returning from the Dr. I first noticed a simple pen prick Monday. I cleaned it up and applied Neosporin. It was about the same Tuesday and got angry Wedsday night.

Dr put me on strong does of Clindamicin and its better today.

image.jpg

12. dewdogg

dewdogg fisherman

Name:
    Dewey
    Boat:
    20' valco bayrunner "pacifier"
    how do you let something like that get so out of control

13. Outhouse

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    It happened very, very quickly.

14. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    John, sorry to hear about your finger. Ouch....

Wear gloves if you can, takes a bit getting used to but it's nice to not cut your hands up. Clean your hands all throughout the day with soap and water, I usually do that on piss breaks. :) At night, clean the wound and put liquid bandaid on there. Do again the next day.

15. Squid Sammich

Squid Sammich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    To be determined
    "How do you let something like that get so out of control?"

Waterborne bacteria can cause infections that rage uncontrollably within a few short hours. Here on the gulf coast wadefishing the shallow water estuaries is the big thing but if you have an open wound it can cost you a limb or your life overnight. "Vibrio" victims usually wake up the night of their first contact with a rash fever and burning pain, and many times by the next day they are an amputee.

16. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Never touch dead baits floating in the bait tank!!!!!If there are decomposing baits floating to the surface and the deck hands are scooping them out with their net to get rid of them never touch that net even if they offer you a prime bait.Make em put it in the hand well.The problem with gloves is if they are wet they contribute to a warm moist environment being constantly in contact with the skin softening it and keeping surface bacteria alive...when you see a deck hand scrubbing with bleach wet down your hans or carry a small bottle with you. A few drops ,enough to wet your hands and make them slippery ,let sit and then rinse. Prevention is better then cure.

17. stemac

stemac Newbie

Name:
    Steve McAvoy
    Boat:
    Bullet
    I was Jon's roommate on the trip. I can vouch for how quickly the infection came on. I got bit by a wahoo on this trip on the left calf and received help from Josh Addison who came prepared with Hibiclens and sterile dressings. I had antibiotic ointment, but was not aware of this awesome anti microbial skin soap. I am sure using this right away helped keep the wound from becoming infected.

18. Outhouse

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    Guys, I don't want this to sound like I wasn't paying attention to my finger, I was. In spite of my efforts, it still got infected. I will be armed with stronger cleaning solutions like the surgical soap mentioned earlier (Hibiclens). It went from a dot on my finger to a volcano. I probably should have gone to see someone in SD.

I'll also admit I have an immune deficiency which probably added to the rapid nature of the flare

19. Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Victor
    Boat:
    18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
    A lot of good info here,it's something we don't think of during all the excitement of fishing,I'm definitely looking into some good gloves,any good recommendations?

20. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Dangit! Jon, I hope that gets worked out quickly. Thanks for the reminder!

I've come to realize that I have a strong immune system. I think, knock on wood, that's why I'm a 3-time melanoma survivor. My body fights stuff off. I've never had a raging infection. But, man, I sure should have a few times. I did have a strange sore that showed up on top of my right foot the other day. I have been wearing my fishing sandals a lot lately and realized I never really washed them since the trip - blood, water, guk. Well, our pediatrician, who's a buddy of mine, mentioned a few things including just soaking it. Sure enough - one good soak with a little hydrogen peroxide in the water and we had immediate improvement. Infections really suck.

I remember getting advice on this forum years ago, and following it. I bring stuff like Neosporin, nuskin, hand sanitizer, etc in my toiletries bag on each LR trip. Each night before I go to bed on the boat I make sure to clean my hands up really well and patch them up. I think it helps. My hands make it through trips pretty well.

Best of luck with this Jon...