Wooden Tackle Box Pictures and Builders

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by XL1, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Really would be nice to have measurements for all the boats, of the tackle racks and also the top deck rails for other projects...

locvetter likes this.
  2. Black-is-Back

Black-is-Back Wishin i was Fishin

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    Really nice work and bitching wood grain. What type of wood is that?

3. locvetter

locvetter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    The sides are spalted maple -- that is wood that has a fungal infestation that creates the very dark grain lines. In this book matched set I thought it looked like the depth gauge tracing of the hurricane bank.
    The back and front are crotch walnut. Feel like I should mention again that Lewis Judy and Northwest Timber has the most incredible collection of figured wood - -I believe one could imagine.
    https://nwtimber.com/ If you are into wood, just browsing the website is fun.

4. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    That's because it's a "machinist tool box". Made to hold micrometers, calipers, dial indicators, etc. They are usually felt lined to protect their precision instruments.

locvetter and Bill W like this.
  5. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Is that white tube your beer holder? Nice box!

locvetter likes this.
  6. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    I cut it down to a manageable 7"

bparker1225 likes this.
  7. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    skipjackrobert, Picklepork and Cubeye like this.
  8. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Don't tease us with that one photo....

Please post some with the doors open.. right ??

Jeff

locvetter likes this.
  9. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
  10. Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral Holi-e-Mackeral

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    Post them up here.. this is the thread for custom boxes..

11. Lipripper#1504

Lipripper#1504 Contact 4 discount bungee

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Nope
    deleted

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  12. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I am doing my best Rorschach, but I don't see it. When I squint, I do get a little sick?

If you fixated on the crotch walnut, what about this spalted maple - here before I covered them with rocket launcher/handle.

Box side small.jpg

It's a fathometer on the fritz.

13. seabass630

seabass630 Member

Name:
    carlos
    Boat:
    No boat
  14. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    You asked:

Started off looking at costs of the beautiful boxes that Mr. Mayo and others make -- Had I known then what I know now -- their boxes are a super bargain!!! Clearly they are made for the love of the craft and to enhance the experiences of their fellow fisherman.

Decided to build one. Design rationale:
    • I like Plano 3700 boxes.
    • There is never enough room.
    • I like pretty wood. (Thank you Lewis at NorthWest Timber) Everything I did to this wood detracted from the esthetic of this wood.
    • While it will likely be on the deck, rather than a shelf, and I can't bend over well, it must be tall. (Still a work in progress on this point - base is planned.)
    Tackle box Clamped small.jpg

Adage: You can never have too many clamps.

Decided to make my own rocket launchers and rig on some strong handles. Here they are sand blasted before powder coating the blue/black I chose:

Launcher blasted small.jpeg

Way over did the attachment. Two would have been plenty - I used 5, 1/4-20 stainless to stainless t-nuts (actually welding nuts - as the fiberglassed and epoxied wood was too hard for typical toothed t-nuts.)

Original design called for 1" schedule 40 aluminum pip for legs. Likely would have worked, but I chose to small an angle, and the legs just don't go out enough to create a stable base.

Legs small.jpeg

But they definitely were not adjustable: hole bored at about 15 degrees into hard maple to accept an aluminum coupler, epoxied into place. Live and learn.

Leg attachment small.jpeg

Can hold five 3700's including two tall ones. I have chosen to put two of the half sized 3700's on the top shelf, one for tools, the other for a secret UV unit for which I live in fear that a 300# super cow will come crashing through my window.

3700's small.jpeg

You can just see the cash of supercharged JRI2's and PL68's.

Even when this tall box is up on the planned 10" base, I want to be able to have a place I can put something I take out:

Using tabletop small.jpg

Of course I had to add a little salty bling. I like abalone:

abalone detail small.jpeg

Of course most of the ones I used to plug the holes from the screws used to secure the shelves are covered by rocket launcher.

New box front smaller.jpeg

Suggestions most welcome!

Thanks for getting all the way to here. image.png

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    ZZZZZ, Cubeye and Bob Sands like this.
  15. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Does anyone know how to edit off the duplicate photo of the clamped box at the bottom of my post above. I tried deleting it, backspacing through it, and foul language. Nothing works.

16. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    You applied fiberglass over the outside of the box? What weight glass?

How thick is the wood for the case? Looks to be 3/8" or 1/2".

This is just my opinion, but with the stand, the unit appears to be top heavy, and could easily topple over when the boat rolls. Especially with rods in the tubes. I'm sure you will be strapping it down with the eyelet catches that you installed on your rocket launchers, but if it's free standing on the deck, you may not have any way to strap it down.

Any thoughts on weather stripping around the door to keep saltwater spray from entering the box?

17. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    The glass is plain weave 4 oz. Outside only.

I do have three different sizes of silicone stripping that will work. Plan is to make it splash proof. These will have to await the very final finishing.

I share your concern about stability. The sides are 3/8, the front and back 1/2. Had I put the legs at a bigger angle I'd have been more comfortable. The planned base will have cubbies at the bottom for my weight bag -- which weighs quite a lot, and rolls of trolling lures, also heavy. I am actually going to San Diego, for my 50th HS reunion, on a day when the boat is doing a turnaround, and am hopeful I can go aboard briefly to look for ways to secure it at various places on the deck. I do have some ideas from past trip recall, but memories do fade.

Question: If I made the footprint just a bit larger than an SKB - Say 16x24, do you think it would be offensive? This would be only the bottom plate, tapering up from there.

Thanks

Cubeye likes this.
  18. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I made a box to set my tackle box on to get it off the deck. Much bigger footprint than my tackle box. I can tie my tackle box to the "riser box". Also made drawers in it for additional large pieces like the Yo-zuri Bonitas, Gummy Bears, sun seeds, PL68, TNT, lead, etc. Depending on the boat you ride, deck space is not in high demand, so there's lots of room.

I've seen aluminum frames built to set tackle boxes on. Some have a shelf to put stuff. Some have nothing. Wasted space in my opinion.

locvetter likes this.
  19. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I'm not trying to criticize, but you did ask for comments.

Keep in mind that the deck is not always flat. Some have a slight curve to shed water to the scuppers. Might consider making the legs adjustable. Of course, you could always simply unscrew one of the legs a little.

Another point. You might consider putting some sort of spacer between your box and the rocket launchers so that your reel clamps don't hit your box. Or do your reels sit above your box? In that case, ignore this comment.

locvetter likes this.
  20. locvetter

Name:
    Loc Vetter
    Boat:
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Thanks so much for the reminders of what to plan in.

The reels on the side do sit just high enough that the seat misses the box - -down side of that is it raises the center of gravity.

The launchers on the back will be separated because they will be mounted as low as possible, to lower the center of gravity. I am thinking of tilting them in just a bit, to further move the weight to the center and make them a little less in anyones way.

I even found a 2" radius router bit so I can make risers that will fit the tubes perfectly

For the bottom of the "riser box" I have founds some very nice rubber feet that I think will be enough for the curve of the deck, if not they can be adjusted slightly.

Thanks for thinking about it. Will not be starting the base until I receive a piece of "Starboard" - this super impervious plywood replacement material, which I plan to use for the bottom of the base.

Cubeye likes this.