TunaFvr

Jun 1, 2005
San Diego/Island Park
www.FortuneSportfishing.com
Name
Bruce A. Smith
Boat
Fortune/Outcast 9000
Norman Kagawa, ill try to get some pictures up. He builds three sizes, 1/2 day, overnight and Long Range. They are beautiful and affordable, not over the top.

There was a post on bd not to long ago about tackle boxs, and it seems I sort of skue from the normal. While most guys now a days go with a WFO or SKB, both of which are good but in my opinion lack character. I love wooden tackle boxes they have character, each one is a little different suited to it's owner, they have personality.

Butch Green made the formica faced wooden tackle box for alot of years, you may be able to find some of those on ebay.

Tony Garza, the renewed owner of Soft Steel, made some fabulous boxs at one time.

Most of the old Semco's are falling apart, I m fortunate to still have my grandfathers and one other.

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
See several pages down to see a box during construction

Here is a link to my boxes, they are sized
to fit sportboats and hold what most people need to fish long range.

http://www.landofmayo.com/tbox.html

This one is almost finished and just needs to have the hardware installed. Note solid wood rocket launchers!

Last edited:

Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
The new wood boxes looks like art work to me. Too nice to take fishing.

TunaFvr

Jun 1, 2005
San Diego/Island Park
Name
Bruce A. Smith
Boat
Fortune/Outcast 9000
Sal Valone, Bob Sands tackle,

Ed's box, we miss you buddy!

Dennis Groate aka "Creaky"

Jack Hill, WillFish tackle in Auburn, now this is the one Norman made for Jack, but Jack usual box is from the 50's and is awesome, truly lots of character.

Bob Perkins, also from Bob Sands tackle, Head of Connections!

TunaFvr

Jun 1, 2005
San Diego/Island Park
Name
Bruce A. Smith
Boat
Fortune/Outcast 9000
This is Norman's version of a Long Range box. It's big but not too big, sans rod holders. Most boats now have a rod holder of some kind associated with the tackle rack and the ones on the boxs really take up alot of space that could be used by someone else.

Front view(I need to clean it up)

Exploded interior view, note the front faces of the drawers come from one piece so that the grain match's. Plenty of jig storage. I prefer the wooden drawers to the plastic pull outs.

And the top inset lifts out, with storage underneath, where I keep my wind-on's.

TunaFvr

Jun 1, 2005
San Diego/Island Park
Name
Bruce A. Smith
Boat
Fortune/Outcast 9000
This is Norman's first box, I call it the 1/2 day box. At the time Mikie and I were riding the with RJ on the New Seaforth and Ray on the San Diego, we were making our own boxs out of cigar cases or Mikie had one that was an old cassette holder. Norman saw what we were doing and came back in a couple of weeks and presented me with this one. It was exactly what I wanted. The drawers stack like old school Butch Green, it holds just enough terminal tackle for a 3/4 trip and was made tall enough to accomadate a hanging 7x. Each time now that we show up on a Seaforth boat we get alot of inqueries, mostly from the deckhands, on where they can get one of these diminutive box's. It' awesome, classy, functional, and the first off the line.

Exploded view with the three drawers removed.

There is just enough room in the bottom below the three drawers to fit a 1/4 pound spool of mono. And your Uni-Butter of coarse. If you don't have squid to tip on your cod jigs Uni-Butter works pretty darn good.

Oh by the way, did you see my new tackle box?

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Bruce,

Nice Tackle box. The floating one I mean. Best of luck with her. I also have one of Norm's boxes he made for Friends of Rollo. My favorite box of all time though I now have bigger ones. Norm does a fantastic job.

Jamie

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Here is mine. A retired fireman made it for me who has since passed away. Made three for us all at the same time. $600 each.

Attachments

Eric's Tackle

hesselvich
Advertiser
Mar 18, 2004
ventura
www.wegetbit.com
Name
eric huff
Boat
none
tony garza's box is the best designed box I have ever seen. There is no wasted space on his box. Jaime Guitierrez makes a copy of them. PM me and I will have him get a hold of you. The crew of the xl has seen his work. Solid as a rock.