Wondering about Flying Fish

Nun_ya_Bizz

Aug 7, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Nunya
Boat
AA
First off: I'm not sure this is the right place to post this? If it should be elsewhere then let me know...

Now for my question.
Has anyone tried rigging a Flyer for the kite but in stead of using under a kite, you cast it out at a foamer or at fish on the meter and let it float on the surface with the wings out? Or maybe not even rig it up, just nose hook it and cast it our? Just some questions about flyers I had... If this is totally dumb ? then let me know that also.

Reactions: fishin_kid

ZZZZZ

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Yes and can be lethal

And not a dumb question at all

Reactions: Olddog8

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Yes and can be lethal

And not a dumb question at all
But you wouldn't have the advantage of a kite fished flyer. Hard to cast a flyer with a 30- 50 size reel, wouldn't have the advantage of a 200-300# floro leader with a 12/0 hook , and 130- 200# spectra, while skipping over the surface without allowing a giant bluefin to see all the hardware! Plus flyers are going for about $40 apiece. And kite baits can be several hundred feet behind the boat before bit. I suppose if you had giant bluefin charging the corner within 30 feet of the stearn that might work. I've never seen that before. Usually those big headed bastards are pretty hard to fool during the day time. You would have better luck fishing glow jigs in the dark on big gear for the jumbos. Or waiting for your kite rotation during the day!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Several years back, Jordan Souza was working the deck on the Angler on one of the longer trips, Cow fishing either Hurricane Bank or Clarion. Captain announced it was time to wind ‘em in and head for home. They still had some live flyers in the tank so he scooped one up and pinned it on with one of the “Man Bait” rigs, big hook heavy line used for Skipjack or small Yellowfin.

Almost immediately after tossing it in he was bit, big fish. Jordan showed no mercy, buried the drag at full and brought it to gaff within a very few minutes! Only heard the story, wish I had seen it.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Several years back, Jordan Souza was working the deck on the Angler on one of the longer trips, Cow fishing either Hurricane Bank or Clarion. Captain announced it was time to wind ‘em in and head for home. They still had some live flyers in the tank so he scooped one up and pinned it on with one of the “Man Bait” rigs, big hook heavy line used for Skipjack or small Yellowfin.

Almost immediately after tossing it in he was bit, big fish. Jordan showed no mercy, buried the drag at full and brought it to gaff within a very few minutes! Only heard the story, wish I had seen it.
That's cool stuff! Those big bluefin are a whole different breed of cat though. Getting them to eat a fly lined flyer on heavy gear is a completely different thing. 20 years or so ago, even catching 20-40 lb bluefin was a major accomplishment. Eddie Mckewen ( please forgive the spelling) owner of the Pacific Queen was probably the best at getting them to bite. There was no side scanning sonar, just instinct on his part. Anglers might not realize how lucky they are today, but this giant bluefin fishery is truly unheard of in California sportfishing history!

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Buddy got two BFT (140-160#) last week by just letting a dead flyer drift away from the boat. He had the flyer rigged exactly as if he was going to use it on a kite. Heavy leader, wings extended and with a trap hook.

Reactions: Cubeye and FishRock

BlueFinGrin

Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...
Apr 8, 2006
Blue Marble
Name
Grinner
Boat
A Big One - That Floats
Rigged a very dead Puffer once - while out on the Bank with two styrofoam coffee cups and a 1/4 oz weight sewn inside its belly ... (for added floatation, buoyancy and presentation). Got tons of BS looks and comments in the process of rigging this set up. A short 35 mins later, a #202 YFT came over the starboard rail after inhaling the offering. Sometimes you just gotta push the envelope... proof-of-concept is not proven - until its proven.

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak

I believe this is the fish in question, caught back in November of 2011. It was 270# as I recall and he landed it in about 15 minutes. I hooked a 100# model at the same time and was pretty pleased with myself until I looked over and saw this beast. Good times. View attachment 1177935

View attachment 1177935

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
But you wouldn't have the advantage of a kite fished flyer. Hard to cast a flyer with a 30- 50 size reel, wouldn't have the advantage of a 200-300# floro leader with a 12/0 hook , and 130- 200# spectra, while skipping over the surface without allowing a giant bluefin to see all the hardware! Plus flyers are going for about $40 apiece. And kite baits can be several hundred feet behind the boat before bit. I suppose if you had giant bluefin charging the corner within 30 feet of the stearn that might work. I've never seen that before. Usually those big headed bastards are pretty hard to fool during the day time. You would have better luck fishing glow jigs in the dark on big gear for the jumbos. Or waiting for your kite rotation during the day!
My SD buddy's would disagree. Also kite fish gear is not needed to land a big BFT. Floating out can be done with kite gear. Fast drift with wind the bait will be away from the boat fast

They do get bit casted into a foamer from a private boat

I'm still waiting to hear back if a inflated dead flyer would float haha. Like a inflated crawler

The condom trick

Or something similar to what I posted last year by mistake that was removed

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The flyer is not only a good food source.

But it is also cat and mouse for the tunafish. Tracking and blowing out flyers is like the tunas sport or game. Letting it out and in it to win it. Hear me roar like a lion

All good hunters see with all thier senses. The tunafish

When HB is being blown out all around. That's a tunafish game taking place. Also including flyer nutrients thier body is craving

But laying deep off the edge. Lazily eating squid and fish fry. Is the main food source.

Chasing flyers is a sport for them. Releasing adrenaline. They love adrenaline

IMO

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Tunafish love the game, catch the flyer before my buddy. While honing skills

A fake rubber flyer triggers the game. With zero scent trail

And I love when luck has allowed me to deploy a live flyer when the game is being played. As sure as it gets

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The flyer game takes place near, on, or above the surface. So yah a floating flyer with its profile works. Regardless of being attached to a kite

The super in my profile. Greyhound crashed a huge greenie. Like a 20 foot leap in the air. Flyer training skills

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Kamikaze into the lights?

Tropical YFT

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
That's a huge flying fish. Did it damage the boat?
It was shaking it’s head. Came up at the gate and I did not move from there. The occasional gift from the fish gods.
Bill, the consummate professional refuses to take the bait. ;)

Reactions: Russ Scholl

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
Jerry Brown was the king of flylining a dead flyer on long trips.. he would let it drift back in the current from an anchored boat.. At the very least it was a big, shiny chunk.. He told me that he caught quite a few big fish on them... Now, down south there are a lot of sharks.. so my attempts have usually ended up with one of those

Reactions: jblineone

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Jerry Brown was the king of flylining a dead flyer on long trips.. he would let it drift back in the current from an anchored boat.. At the very least it was a big, shiny chunk.. He told me that he caught quite a few big fish on them... Now, down south there are a lot of sharks.. so my attempts have usually ended up with one of those
Did he spread the wings?

Reactions: FishRock

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Personal best on a flyer. They are bitchen baits

Slow troll dead flyer. 2 kites with 2 lines off each kite at Hurricane Bank, Mid day lull. Tandom 2 lines off each kite was cool to see. On a Penn 80 granny gear with 300lb Seaguar, Baja boomer, Huge jobu hook. Under 10 minute fish. Should had weighed it. Maybe a cow. Hooked the fish fairly close to the boat as the flyers were slow trolled close. When the line came tight and with the boat still moving with 300# line. I almost went overboard LOL
IMG_20200804_194925.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: fishin_kid

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Last day was words from the wise. Wanted to chase wahoo in the skiff as it was brutally slow for tunafish and wahoo casting jigs is my favorite. Big guy suggested that I stay on the big boat and do not give up my kite rotation next even though it was very slow. So stayed on the big boat and sent out double Cabs and moments later a 198.2 bit then after landing, Jerry Brown 254. Listen to the big guy :D
113960-1117569859-2fcd59f17f845305f2f723639445b80a.jpg

Reactions: FishRock and Bill W

AZlongrange

Jun 28, 2017
Arizona
Name
Travis
Boat
N/A
So if I am going to fly-line a flier, how do I hook it? Nose, shoulder, butt, rigged like it was going under a kite? Is it worth using a ringed hook, and should it be a circle or something like a southern tuna hook