DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Fished in the Western Outdoor News Tuna Tourney Saturday which looked to be a great time when we entered however as the date got closer both the fish slowly disappeared and the weather forecast became unfavorable to say the least. The local tuna dried up Thursday, and Friday most boats moved north up to Clemente with even fewer fish in the counts. Our original plan was to leave Friday morning and head up to the backside of SCI and locate the fish and after spending the night @ Pyramid get back on the fish for the 4AM start with sinker rigs and flyers after daylight. However with 15-25 knot of wind forecasted for Friday PM and the fact Pyramid was scheduled to be closed from 6-10PM we scrubbed the idea. All of our sources struck out from the Hidden Bank all the way up to the top of the backside of Clemente so we decided to first hit the 181 area at grey light then work our way west towards Clemente and see what we could find. We passed the Mission Bay Jetty @ 230AM Saturday and headed out @ 272 degrees right into the short interval 3' swells which wasn't too bad at 15 knots but @ 7 miles off the beach w had to slow to 13, at 20 miles down to 10, and we were doing 8 knots when we made the 181 @ 530AM. I believe we metered some fish @ 125' just inside the 181 but stupid me figured we would find something better farther west where the Sports fished Friday. We continued westward @ 8kts saw a few Sportboats west of the 289 headed in different directions; we metered a few fish @ 75' so we brailed a couple of scoops and got to work. Nothing ever developed but one of my guys saw a decent sickle fin in front of the boat headed downswell. We gave it 30 minutes then back on the hunt and worked the area until 10;30 and saw nothing; no bait, no birds, and very few kelps although we did find a set of 4 large kelps spaced 100-150 yards apart we were counting on yellowtail but it never happened on any of the 4. Water was cooler (65) the farther west we went so we bent it to the inside the ridge @ 18 knots and found a pod of porps holding in 70.5 degree water between the 182 and the 9 so we put in the cedars and Halcos and made 4 passes through the front of the pod; I saw a small mark of tuna on my first pass but nothing on my last 3 passes and the Legend saw what we had going and gave it a shot for nothing. We picked up and continued south over the 224/302 and headed beyond the 230 then bent eastward and back inside towards North Island then up Tuna Alley and back to Mission Bay by 5PM. What a wasted day driving in beater conditions through nothing but desert which is so strange for this time of year. Evidently the Tuna just ate their way out of the Southern California Bight and I hope something comes up from the south to take their place soon.
The Weigh In Meeting was slow with only 3 fish weighed in over 27-30 boats. 77# 1st Place 70# 2nd and 30# 3rd. Payouts were $14K - $17K - $2300 as 1st place was only in the $500 Sidepot while 2nd was in everything. a 13# Yellow won $4200 in the Yellow Side Pot. Decent raffle in the end with 4 nice Accurate Rod & Reel Combos, 3 Yamaha Generators, tons of Seagar and Spiderwire spools and Maui Sunglasses.

Upvote 0

Old Blue

Almost A Member
May 12, 2005
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
23 Blackman, Old Blue
That's a lot of fish to just up and disappear. Definitely not like August.

Sure sounds like you gave it your best shot. I hope it picks up and fills in.

Reactions: Ryan js
Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Oh yeah forgot to mention Madrugador picked up a free $2500 6 pack charter on a yacht for bringing in the most offshore Mylar Balloons - 1. I never heard of that catagory prize; Maybe that explains his rare visit to Party City the day before................

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2008
sierra madre ca.
Name
ron
Boat
12 ft
Just read your report>:( I get on my 2 1/2 day charter Monday night. Hoping things change. But your post made me get up and get a glass of WINE. As Jimmy says it"s 5 O'clock some ware. I can't understand how they all left in 3 days. Hoping I well be able to post that we found them

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Just read your report>:( I get on my 2 1/2 day charter Monday night. Hoping things change. But your post made me get up and get a glass of WINE. As Jimmy says it"s 5 O'clock some ware. I can't understand how they all left in 3 days. Hoping I well be able to post that we found them
Start thinking Big Yellows @ Cortez or yellows and calicos @ SCI

Reactions: Noah & Scoot
Upvote 0

stripedbizzle

Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles ca
Name
JTM
Boat
No

usually it works out that the fishing is hot before a trip and then dies as soon as you get out there. you should be hopeful - can only go up from the last few days. i have a 2.5 leaving friday and im mostly worried about the crowds, its been sounding like a total shit show out there.

Upvote 0

Hophead

When’s the next trip
Jun 26, 2004
san diego
Name
ryan
Boat
22’ Seaway
Damn, that’s gotta be the worst weigh in I’ve heard of in years...

Breaks are finally coming together with clean water pushing up against green. Water has been off color all season, but at least the fish have been there. Hope the weather starts shaping up so we can make some decent runs.

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

• Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Reactions: Jason
    Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
    Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Tuna found today. It's WAY north of where everyone is looking.

Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit
    That's going to be my zone
    Dick in hand
    Thanks J.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Just need a 3/4 day out of 22nd st or Pier point to get the tuna you be home in time to watch the Dodgers loose to shitty SDP...

Upvote 0

WilliamL

Aug 1, 2018
    HB
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    21 WA, nothing special
    Fished in the Western Outdoor News Tuna Tourney Saturday which looked to be a great time when we entered however as the date got closer both the fish slowly disappeared and the weather forecast became unfavorable to say the least. The local tuna dried up Thursday, and Friday most boats moved north up to Clemente with even fewer fish in the counts. Our original plan was to leave Friday morning and head up to the backside of SCI and locate the fish and after spending the night @ Pyramid get back on the fish for the 4AM start with sinker rigs and flyers after daylight. However with 15-25 knot of wind forecasted for Friday PM and the fact Pyramid was scheduled to be closed from 6-10PM we scrubbed the idea. All of our sources struck out from the Hidden Bank all the way up to the top of the backside of Clemente so we decided to first hit the 181 area at grey light then work our way west towards Clemente and see what we could find. We passed the Mission Bay Jetty @ 230AM Saturday and headed out @ 272 degrees right into the short interval 3' swells which wasn't too bad at 15 knots but @ 7 miles off the beach w had to slow to 13, at 20 miles down to 10, and we were doing 8 knots when we made the 181 @ 530AM. I believe we metered some fish @ 125' just inside the 181 but stupid me figured we would find something better farther west where the Sports fished Friday. We continued westward @ 8kts saw a few Sportboats west of the 289 headed in different directions; we metered a few fish @ 75' so we brailed a couple of scoops and got to work. Nothing ever developed but one of my guys saw a decent sickle fin in front of the boat headed downswell. We gave it 30 minutes then back on the hunt and worked the area until 10;30 and saw nothing; no bait, no birds, and very few kelps although we did find a set of 4 large kelps spaced 100-150 yards apart we were counting on yellowtail but it never happened on any of the 4. Water was cooler (65) the farther west we went so we bent it to the inside the ridge @ 18 knots and found a pod of porps holding in 70.5 degree water between the 182 and the 9 so we put in the cedars and Halcos and made 4 passes through the front of the pod; I saw a small mark of tuna on my first pass but nothing on my last 3 passes and the Legend saw what we had going and gave it a shot for nothing. We picked up and continued south over the 224/302 and headed beyond the 230 then bent eastward and back inside towards North Island then up Tuna Alley and back to Mission Bay by 5PM. What a wasted day driving in beater conditions through nothing but desert which is so strange for this time of year. Evidently the Tuna just ate their way out of the Southern California Bight and I hope something comes up from the south to take their place soon.
    The Weigh In Meeting was slow with only 3 fish weighed in over 27-30 boats. 77# 1st Place 70# 2nd and 30# 3rd. Payouts were $14K - $17K - $2300 as 1st place was only in the $500 Sidepot while 2nd was in everything. a 13# Yellow won $4200 in the Yellow Side Pot. Decent raffle in the end with 4 nice Accurate Rod & Reel Combos, 3 Yamaha Generators, tons of Seagar and Spiderwire spools and Maui Sunglasses.
    My buddy was in the tourney, said it was brutal - weather and fishing. bummer the 1st place didn't enter all the side pots, could have banked it.

Upvote 0